Remove tickets... entirely. (And why)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Catface, May 7, 2015.

?

What do you think of this?

1. Strongly support

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Somewhat support

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Somewhat opposed

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Strongly opposed

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  1. Sitka

Sitka Member

Or, you know, to give each ticket or "life" more meaning, so that it doesn't just become a constant continuous soviet death charge over and over again.
    It quite obviously provides consequence to a death, giving just a bit more meaning to staying alive other than the other obvious things.

So rather than someone being angry at someone because they're wasting tickets, it's going to be someone being angry that someone is feeding the enemy too many kills. You see how this just reverses it, right? Basing it on kills is exactly the same as the ticket system, just your tickets counted on the opposite team and going up rather than down.

If something will improve District, it would be to increase the spawn time by a good bit. This would encourage sticking together and working together, as a squad and a team, simply because breaking through and wiping the enemy will more likely result in one or even more flag captures before the enemy can get organized again. Providing heavy consequences such as that tend to improve teamwork.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. Catface

Catface Member

Well, after some reading and discussing this further I guess we'll just stick with testing a plain removal of tickets without adding fancy sudden death timer systems in return.

If support is added it will be disabled by default so server owners can decide themselves whether they want to go with it.
    One argument is that low/zero tickets slows down the game and prolong stalemates. Perhaps without this arbitrary slow down, teams will actually wear down their resources faster and games will end sooner.

If that doesn't work as intended we can always introduce gradually increasing spawn time, timers, etc.

We could also emphasize that in another way: Have people spawn at low HP/ammo that then replenishes to the max level within 10 seconds. (Just an idea)

In a hindsight, I think a glycencity style system would work better in the absence of tickets. Though we'd have to see. (People being shouted at for "feeding" is obviously not an improvement)

And make it even more boring? A lot of things can happen in 10-30 seconds. It was suggested before and shot down for similar reasons. The "waiting game" is boring, even if it leads to heavier consequences. (And again, I think there are more ways to add more consequence to death and respawning without resorting to increasing waiting times.)

3. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Why did you post a vote if you intend to ignore the results?

Prediction: Rage quiting will be epic on long boring match's.
    Stacking will increase to end long games.

Of all the things that need fixing - you really think removal of tickets is the issue that needs addressing?

4. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

To be fair, I voted against based on the other systems that were looking to be implemented (though you'd still have a point).

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Well, whatever you do, something needs to end stalemates.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You mean, fighting alone, all the way to enemy rax? :|
    I just don't understand that.

1: Bring a squad and don't fight alone.
    2: Ninja and don't fight.
    3: Use vehicle and fight alone for all you want.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Squad's dead, or the only one to survive is a gren/rifle while you too are a gren/engy with no revive.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

For engi, you don't take revive because health regen is obviously more helpful, right?

For gren, if you are a good enough gren, speed upgrade and health upgrade should grant you more survivability, not to mention you have really limited ammo, without ammo box/ammo upgrade.
    If you are a bad gren, you might as well just type kill in console, you are no good alone.

I don't mind derailing this thread, because I seriously doubt any of this will be implemented at all.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It's more of a problem in the early phase as ikalx mentioned, so a lot of engies run with repair upgrade as first skill.

Gren you are right enough, they can't really do much by themselves once they run out of ammo, or even really destroy a rax by themselves without ammo upgrade.

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so nothing changes ...

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Quality-wise probably not, quantity-wise probably yes.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

claimes by neophobes :D

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yes I hate change ^^

14. Catface

Catface Member

I am not ignoring it. But most of the Strongly Opposed votes seem to be made due to the Sudden Death suggestion. I am already planning on making another thread with a new vote and without the sudden death suggestion.

Actually, tickets slow down the game instead of ending stalemates quicker. In the end, when you really look at it, the game ends when one team runs out of resources and the opposing one has sufficient momentum in the form of (a large amount) of vehicles to overrun their opponent.

Look at Slaughtered, Canyon, Bootybay, etc. And a plethora of other chokepoint and linear maps that often feature one or both team reaching low or zero ticket levels.
    The matches end due to one team running out of resources, and subsequently tanks (Ninja tactics aside). This is true even on money.
    Removing tickets does not prevent one team from wearing down the other, preserving their assets while making sure the other team wastes them.

What low/zero tickets do is make people cautious to attack out of fear they will be unable to spawn/be revived. This thus slows down the destruction of assets (vehicles and buildings) and prolongs a stalemate because either (or both) team(s) fear taking the initiative.

If anything is changed besides removing tickets, I suggest making weapons more powerful (Increasing their speed, or increasing damage and cycle time) or decreasing the hull HP of (heavy) tanks so they tend to die faster than they can be rebuild.

Yes. Though it isn't the only thing I intend to fix/improve or even the only thing I am working on.

Thing is. Many issues need addressing, and everyone seems to have different priorities. Some people believe the Comm HUD should be redone first. Others think tickets should be removed (or at least, the system changed). While others yet believe we should focus on vehicle balance, redoing the models and animation or even add linux support.

15. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Some of the game dynamics that will go away if you remove tickets are:

Good players will not spawn as Engineer on District, lead a squad, ever revive anyone - use the skill for something more worthwhile since it has no team benefit. Games become flatter with only rifle&gren vs rifle&gren, which in itself leads to more stalemates. A team with a good revive engineer can push a squad through the other team.

One layer of what makes empires different from other games will go away, making this change a movement towards just another FPS on infantry maps. Boring infantry maps will lead to those being removed - "They used to be fun - what changed?".

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

The big benefit of revive is immediately returning a player to the combat, without the respawn and walking, not just saving tickets. Revive will be less useful, yes, but not useless and forgotten.

17. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

There's also squad revive.

Knows when to use squad revive and when to use calc revive is how I distinguish good engineers.
    Most vet engis just always use calc revive and die on the way.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

So hands up anyone who's ever played a game that's lasted longer than...let's say 4 hours, since 6 might be a bit long for you all.

I'll wait.

19. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Pretty sure that's most of us. I don't get your point.

There's a difference between a game that lasts 4 hours with lots of activity, and a game that lasts 4 hours (which honestly, should not and does not usually happen) because both sides are sitting there conserving their last few tickets or whoring points for squad revives.

20. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I don't know what you're smoking; I haven't seen a two hour game in damn near forever, let alone a four hour game.