Remove tickets... entirely. (And why)

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Catface, May 7, 2015.

?

What do you think of this?

1. Strongly support

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Somewhat support

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Somewhat opposed

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Strongly opposed

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I sure cant wait for backyard revives/apc rushes becoming uncounterable with a long ass killspawn timer.

I would also like to add that its perfectly fine for a game to have something of a minimum competence point. That being said, sure noobs get yelled at for using tickets, but as far as im concered they do so becasue they dont know better. who the hell is supposed to tell them that draining tickets is bad? Or what the fuck is that rev thing? We still have shit for newcomer training.
    People like mr bubbles dont count here. If you have a person that despite being told not to 10 times, still rams LTs into heavies 70 minutes into the game, you really shouldnt be concerened about them staying.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Only if they occur late in the game. But you're right, killspawning is another one of those issues that is a metatactic. It's been suggested many times to be able to teleport at barracks' (perhaps other buildings?). We should most definitely consider that as well if we were to go this route.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

The moment tickets get removed is when the game is no longer empires.

4. Gordon's Alive

Gordon's Alive Member

100% agree. Having said that tickets are pretty pointless on most maps anyway it is purely the ability to revive a person right at the point where the battle is going on that is the benefit.

Do away with tickets altogether but keep revive as is.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

have it have a small delay where you have to stand still or people will constantly try to "teleport" the instant before they die for obvious reasons. like a bar that goes down for 3-5s (ofc it reduces the respawn time for the same amount)
    or even let the bar count down the whole 10s and beg empty for teleport particles :D

also i have the feeling, contrary to the current vote results, we have more people speaking up for their removal, but its also less votes then people argueing pro ...
    odd situation, especially since its secret, maybe more could vote and/or voice their concerns?

6. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Teef I gotta say. I don't like things between you and I lately.

I find us agreeing far too much.

That said I've done it again and I fully agree with you.

Regarding this suggestion in general. This seems like a much simpler solution and fix to 90+% of these problems:

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?t=19346

Specifically:

http://forums.empiresmod.com/showpost.php?p=507832&postcount=48

And its much much simpler

7. flasche

this doesn't solve anything it only delays it.
    aside of that there's still unanswered questions - you believe in the res multi when its not working at all - low pop low res, high pop build compo heavies without a 2nd thought. and there also still is the late joiner and spec party issues - the connected player count says absolutely nothing about the amount of active players at any point in the game. and in empires the amount of active players over a round is very dynamic. especially in the early and late game phase you can have less then half the player count then you have at the end of the game, but sometimes it stays at 4vs4 with 8 specs and 4 unassigned - you never know, but theres quite a difference between 8players and 20 which would be connected count ...

... but if you disagree with the existence of all this there's an even simpler fix without a line of code. up tickets by 100-200 on the maps which are deemed problematic. it should have about the same outcome ...

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

See what you can accomplish when you read :P

9. flasche

if tickets are such an integral part of empires where it wouldnt be empires anymore, then everyone using up more then their share of tickets is effectively griefing the rest of his team and should be banned. how comes that i, who tries to play careful not to die too far off so i cant be revived, should suffer?
    also, because this was mentioned before, its not only newbies wasting tickets like mad. its also those who play for longer and think this entitles them for anything and that they alone are the tip on the scale.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I honestly don't know what impact the removal of tickets would have now. Yes, some games would last longer than they should, but talking ratios it probably would be a smaller amount than games ended quicker because of them.

When tickets were first introduced we had practically ideal conditions which really aren't met any more. Until the playerbase comes closer to that ideal (balanced teams that are clue'd up about the game), the lack of tickets probably won't be as bad...

11. Z100000M

Youll have people killspawning instead of trying to get healed or go back for ammo so theres that

12. flasche

tbh if i end up half dead and out of ammo somewhere far off my team; before i have to run back for 5 minutes i suicide no matter if it would cost a hundred tickets.
    if not its usually faster to call for ammo and pistol whip an engi :D

13. Z100000M

Sure, but thats an extreme case. Im talking about doing that when there is an armory within 10 seconds of walk.
    Another thing is something that cant be named any other way than denying yourself. Right now it happens in some weird cases, mostly when you get bioed with no healing in range, since you cant do shit and youll die anyway. You remove the penalty for death and any time you get in some snafu situation its an auto kill. Heck, youd be griefing your own team if you wont do this since youd be giving away points and wages to the other team. That just doesnt sound healthy.

14. flasche

lets have a teleport where you have to stand still then, maybe - if thats possible - even disable suicide altogether*, i mean the argument isnt so wrong. but who cares if someone runs for 30seconds or teleports if its not in-combat ...
    ... maybe it even creates a better distribution of players if you dont have to run for minutes. in the end we want to spend time shooting at eachother not tapping shift ^^

also, if you suicide and get revived you dont use up a ticket. so the argument that its griefing because the enemy (justly) gets a point and wages is as valid as it is currently. and even if you dont get revived you are a tad better off by suiciding because you would use the ticket anyway. its an exploit though.

*though if teleport isnt working if you are stuck and unstuck doesnt work either its no option sadly

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You know it still takes 10s as a suicide penalty, right? I can understand when you're out and about somewhere, but right there?

Tbh, there's lots of things that don't quite work in Empires. The fact that it takes a long time to get somewhere on foot, and when you arrive there you might still have injuries sustained on the way, is often pretty lame for one. If we had a slow regen - 1hp/2s, at least you wouldn't cross half a map to die in one hit.

Teleport's a good idea, too, but there's not really a good implementation. If we had an engy buildable work as a teleport station on the other hand, it might work better. Adaption of 'Listening Posts' also comes to mind.

And with suicide, well you could always have it cost wages so there was some sort of drawback to it. Sure tickets are a good incentive to not just cop out, but if you lost 10 or 20 res for each suicide it would at least have a reason to not be used willy-nilly.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Take regen, it's what I do if I'm doing stuff by myself or not gonna be next to engys/armories. Considering how fast an engy can heal someone, well at least it feels fast to me, I think the regen skill works fine for people who want to do stuff.

I say this as someone who doesn't exactly like the idea of health regen if there are ways to get healed. Even in large maps like empires.

17. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I prefer max hp, if you can kill the same guy twice within 15 seconds, you can kill a rax.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

What about the fights along the way to the rax? I think that was what ikalx was talking about.

19. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

* Keep tickets
    * Tickets give 8~ second spawns
    * Run out of tickets and for each death you get after tickets are lost you get an extra second on your spawn time (obviously this would be bad for some commander-less maps without tweaks)
    ***PRESTO***

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I know what you mean. Sometimes it just feels a bit messy, especially since when you're crossing distances you're not really doing anything else.

Though that most often happens at the start of the game and if you lose a rax, so it's probably not as much of a thing as I pretend.