Remove the Scout Rifle or Empires Dies

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ImSpartacus, Jan 21, 2013.

1. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

The problem with scout is that it's too difficult a class to be played when first trying Empires yet all the nublets flock to it.

Rename it and see what happens.

2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Or just make the scout class only unlock to people who have more than 40 points in the current round.

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Then Hobbes will be even more op in the early game. Give stuns to rifleman too?

4. Urknall

Urknall Member

I like the scout class... if somebody wants to play alone, he can do that. It's an annoying class (for the enemy), and the class should NOT be regulated (by wages, score or something else).

Noobs should try EVERY class in the beginning... I never read in any forum, that the Empire Mod is bad because of the "Scout class". Often the players don't understand the game principle because the game is not intuitive... in-game! I think you should first improve the usability of the mod (tech tree, keyboad layout, less different windows if you select a class) and than think about changing some classes. Usability is more important than balancing!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Considering the nature of empires development... Not Really, no!

seriously, empires is not about solofags.
    Also, the part where you said you havent seen anyone saying that scout is the cancer, it used pop out every odd month. Now, pople prefer to complain in spec.

6. Urknall

Urknall Member

Do you have more than one example?

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I cba to search this very forum for at least a dozen of similar topics.

8. Z100000M

I have a whole fucking archive in fact.
    Just make a quick search in the public section.

9. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Every-time somebody complains the scout is useless, my fucking base is sabotaged along with all my refineries.
    I swear to god it keeps happening, so I now have to yell over people when they say it.
    Just out of the compulsive fear of scunt abuse.

I still like the idea of the BE and NF rifle 2 replacement.
    The semi automatic guns.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I haven't found a single post in this thread that can't be boiled down into one of three basic arguments, so I updated the first post with three stock arguments and my responses. Spoiler alert, the scout rifle dies in all three.

I'll repeat it here:

Nooby scouts don't just hurt themselves. When a player isn't carrying his weight, it affects the entire team. So any team with nooby scouts is more likely to lose and any productive players on those nooby teams are more likely to quit Empires because they hate losing disproportionately.

The scout rifle negatively affects every new player, not just CoD kiddies.

Empires cannot support a balanced sniper rifle at all. If the rifle exists, noobs will use it.

• It doesn't matter if it's on the grenadier or if it shoots plasma cannon rounds, they will use it because it's a sniper rifle.
    • The map doesn't matter either. If a noob joins on Duststorm or District, they will use the rifle in both cases.
    • It doesn't matter what strategic state their team is in, they will still use the rifle if they have pinned their opponent in ruins, or if they are pinned in ruins. It doesn't matter.

So to make a rifle-using noob an effective member of their team, the scout rifle must be effective in every possible strategic situation on every possible map. A weapon that is effective in every possible strategic situation is the definition of an overpowered weapon.

Therefore, changing the rifle cannot fix the problem unless you make it OP.

The scout rifle isn't present in most modern competitive matches and many pub matches, so it's removal should not significantly affect Empires gameplay.

In conclusion, we can never have a balanced sniper rifle in Empires that doesn't cause both good and bad noobs to quit Empires. Therefore, we must remove the scout rifle.

11. Z100000M

There is no reason to make such huge posts spartacus, people defending sr only want to continue having the option to be dicks and camp if they feel like it. Why do they feel making straw arguments makes sr somehow better? Heck if I know.

12. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

How the fuck will I troll if you remove the scout rifle? Oh wait, I suppose there's still the HMG.

13. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

Hey hey now! I gave you your blimps!

14. Z100000M

Yea, but all 4 kinds are all very specific. I mean you can abuse them so easily its retarded. On one hand, if you park one on top of a ladder, it becomes useless, just as the ladder itself. On the other hand, they are really easily killed by AntiTroll rifle bearing scouts camping from floating bunkers on xroads.
    They are soo hard to balance. Trickster had to remove even more grip from fusion engine to balance this shit out for f's sake.

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

16. Z100000M

Nvm, says its a teaser.

Why not post the whole thing though?
    Its obviously meant to BE a shotgun.

17. ImSpartacus

So I'm guessing that's a replacement to the fucking horrendous scout rifle. Lovely, let's give noobs only a slightly less appealing reason to pick scout and be a drain on their team.

18. Z100000M

I dont know about you, but id rather have a meatshield availible than someone trying to hit single targets from across the map.

19. ImSpartacus

I suppose a shotgun is the least terrible unique weapon that you could give them. After all, they have to get close to shit to be non-fail scouts, so a shotgun gets them close to shit. And while they are close to shit, we can scream at them to be non-fail scouts.

You know, after thinking of all the awesome things that scouts can do, getting more of them in a squad might not be terribad. A scout spawned in my APC once and we ended up killing the CV because the silly CV tried to block my APC on a Crossroads gateway. The scout just hopped out and stunned him like a boss. Walls, ammo, spawn point, gg. I guess scout+engy is pretty win all around. Sab a bunch of buildings before the engy finishes them off, etc. Maybe this shotgun thing won't be so bad.

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

2 shoty scouts camping enemy barracks sounds pretty fucked up to me. Same thing 2 grens do but with mines. Hide + shoty = fucked up shit. Time to play peekaboo game.