Remove parachute or make it look more fitting?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sgt.Security, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I know it's a server plugin.

Now it looks pretty weird, it kinda takes you out of the game like a really loud fart during a convention.

Jumping off from *insert any height here*?
    No worry, just tap E for 0.1 sec and you land like you just jumped off from your bed, and there's a parachute coming out from your back that disappears immediately like an illusion.

I dislike this "who gives a fuck about ladder/stairs/terrain" feature to begin with.

I'd support removing parachute entirely but I can imagine just how much hate there will be.

Making it look better sounds like the least thing we can do.
    Maybe make it so that when you tap E, a flame comes out from the shoes as if you are wearing jet shoes?
    Or anything else that makes it look better.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Hit e to activate that flying squirrel suit so you can glide wherever you need to be.

I mean fall damage caps out at 10, it ain't much to take a fall which there's many of in empires. To me it makes sense to either have parachutes and lethal fall damage again, or no parachutes and the 10 max damage from falling. If this was a more scifi game it would work if there was just a force field that pops out, lightning and shit shooting out and hitting the ground, to prevent lethal damage but it's not that kinda game. Parachutes make the most sense, though I could see rocket jumping to not die also fit honestly.

Don't really care either way though, it's just a part of empires. Maybe you'd like it better if the parachute didn't just disappear but was left on the ground? Maybe infantry only get one a game? I dunno, it's all the same to me.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

It's one of many many things that don't make sense and look bad. Either way I don't think it makes much difference unless it's going to be done really well. flames out your shoes, a magic parachute, it's all much of a muchness.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Not only do I support removing it, I also support mp_falldamage 1. However, I am very much aware of the fallout all the casual players will cause once their favorite means of moving down gets removed completely and brought up to modern standards. I've had the chance to see it when hosting playtests on my listen server. People would ask me why there was no parachute and were completely confused as to why a drop caused them unusually high amounts of damage.

flasche likes this.
  5. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Its like destroyer and security are 1 person now.

If it gets removed I would put a maximum damage on it. Otherwise losing 90 hp is just stupid.

6. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

we never used to play with em, honestly the fall damage just needs calculating better so you can still fall a bit but not allow jumping and living a 100 ft drop.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Why is taking fall damage a bad thing?
    Like, with all these hours I spent on infantry, I'd still like to take fall damage kthx.

Portal is probably the only "non-magical" game I can come up with that you take no fall damage, and that's a whole story behind it.

Like I feel this is probably the #1 thing that shows "we actually settle with weird things."
    Scout hide with melee upgrade comes #2 in place.

You can say those are the things that make Empires special...but they don't really make Empires special in an attractive way.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  8. Lazybum

Taking full damage slows the game down, going the round about way for everything sucks. If we want to talk weird things, squad rev is the weirdest. Why do engies get teleportation devices in their back pocket?

Amusingly the whole boots thing from portal came about because testers questioned why she didn't take any fall damage. So someone added heels and called it a day.

9. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

O O O, if we are talking about the WEIRDEST things, how come tank turrets can spin at the speed of light? I'd think they'd put that technology into a space ship and go off into the cosmos... perhaps we could skip the aircraft update and go straight to spacecraft?

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

Not enough coding power for all the nice things we would like done. All squad powers are basically locked in place until higher priority things are taken care of.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Here's a nice example, parachute can be used to outrun your predator when you aren't winning any skirmish(or you just want to make sure getting the upper-hand, w/e), in that sense the game is actually slowed down even more.

We effectively removed the limitation of "stairs/ladders/terrain", when you want to go up there's limited ways, when you want to go down, you can go anywhere you want.

Again, with limited options, there's limited places you can go, I doubt it would slow down the game, at least not to the point that you'd notice.

I am all for nerfing squad revive btw.

12. Lazybum

I was making a point about how tech is basically from cold wars era with some of the more fancy things accomplished. Teleportation is hard even in scifi settings.

What you said security makes no sense, how come the predator can't follow? Or even better, just shoot the guy as they are falling.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

Tanks can't follow you without risking getting stuck or even blowing up. Cyclopean's city comes to mind.

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

This isn't slowing down? You just supported my statement.

Also, if the guy didn't just shoot his quarry, chances are he wasn't there when his quarry made the jump.

I mean that's just one of the examples, if you look into "there's so many ways you can go down", you'd dig out more examples like this that slow down the game in general, because people aren't being "soft-forced" to go some places where they'd meet enemies.

15. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Empires doesn't have to make real world sense :P It's a game.

As for parachutes, i personally like them. Yeah, i guess they could do with a graphical update, but i'm fine with how they function.

And i've never heard anyone complain about parachutes visuals in game...

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

If you ask me it's actually pretty sad.

CS 1.6 was the last time when I see a parachute exactly like this..... :|

When people don't complain, it's like they expected this.

Removing parachute is probably too much of a hassle, I'd also go for vision improve.

17. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Isn't this all server side? Removing it and toggling greater fall damage?

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Yes, that's the first line of this thread.

Just collecting stuff so people making decisions can see.

19. Lazybum

I really don't think it is slowing down. Destroyer made the only comment that made sense, tanks, but generally the maps where inf can just jump off away from tanks also means that guy has a long walk to get back into the fight. I look at like a win of sorts because it means he ain't spawning back in base to bring a tank back up.

I don't care either way, there's plenty of ways to just slide down preventing death or just jumping into water.

20. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Btw isnt this a reitteration of how thecreeper should moderat his server but then with parachutes? Its litterally trying to strong arm the creeper with public oppinion.

complete_ likes this.