Particles. Round 2. This time, it's personal. by Empty

Discussion in 'Dev Blogs' started by Empires Dev Blog, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Visorak06

Visorak06 Member

I think McGuyver summed the issue up quite nicely. Indeed, for Empires to stand out and attract new people we need to tone up the quality and improve existing work. This new generation of gamers seems to be attracted to "OMFG GRAFIX AMAZING MUST BUY" games, so we have to think like idiots the new generation to attract them.

2. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I didn't become a hardcore fan of empiresmod (and later, a developer) because of the graphics, and I doubt I would have if the original developers had subtracted time they spent polishing the gameplay in order to make it an "OMFG GRAFIX AMAZING MUST BUY" game. However, that doesn't matter in the least. I've seen better looking visuals from far less graphically demanding games.

3. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Idiots huh? Because not everyone like to play pacman with 2000 fps?
    Nope, you are wrong, hooooribly wrong, why did YOU buy hl2? Why didn't you stay with hl1? Or battlefield 1942 for the same reason? Sure you like the pixels, don't you ...
    but that's why there are different graphic settings, like "high" and "low", if you like fps more then eyecandy go with low or gtfo ...:mad:

4. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

The big problem with the 2.25 release is that there's only 1 setting for particles, but this is being fixed for future releases.

5. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

It's not about the particles, it's about what he wrote, "new generation of gamers=idots like good graphics", it's nothing to do with a generation and for sure not with idiots, I don't like that attitude, I just telling him that if he likes fps more then the game he should use low settings or gtfo and NOT blame high settings...

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i work with a Q6600, 2 gb ram nvidea 8800 laptop gpu, etc etc

this is a laptop, and all of the hardware is thus scaled down for laptop preformance

empires runs very smooth on it, all of the particles do and besides for lag occasionally i have no complaints

7. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

desktop chip in laptop?

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I have a 9800GTS in my laptop.

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

q6600 ngr

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

If you can run Crysis like that Empiresmod has no reason to lag you out.

Or is it because you refuse to lower your precious AA lipstick?

11. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

News flash, time marches on. It's been a year since 2.24, if u were low then - time to upgrade.

You sir are retarded.

Do you have any idea how much time it takes to optimize environments like the EP2 levels? Thats why they have full-time employed game staff, that are *highly practiced* after HL2 and EP1, and even then they take a shit load of time to do it. If you like the frequent updates, please stop talking like we live up to the same level.

And again, not technologically or graphically advanced. I find your crisis problem fascinating, since I have an old laptop here that runs empires 2.25b like a champ, and crisis like it was the 5 year old dell laptop it is. Again, I don't mind Empty trying to optimize, but if your computer is old I don't value your arguments, sorry.

12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

For a PR guy you sure act like an asshole..

I don't care how fancy and great the particles look but If they make me lose FPS like the excess smoke from empty's mowtar explosion did then don't bitch and say I am cheating because I got rid of the smoke(many people thanked pickled for that btw).

You can say, its great new people will be attracted to the game because it looks better! But at the same time people who have weaker computers will just think empires is a laggy piece of shit mod because games like DOD:S and CS:S run perfectly fine for them.

You should focus on making this game easier to pick up and play with out having to learn so many things instead of how it looks.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Cpatton is a coder.

14. Visorak06

Visorak06 Member

Excuse me? I think you must have me confused with someone else. I have NO problem with the high settings, read my previous posts. I'm not blaming high settings at all. At least bother to do your research before you throw a hissy fit at me.

And I wasn't implying that idiots like good graphics, I was implying that the new generation of gamers acts like a bunch of idiots (But they aren't, just jerks, with a hint of sarcasm as well) and prefers higher graphics.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Oh my bad..

Oh wait.. YOU LOSE EMPTY!

16. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Don't mind Kane he doesnt make sense on a good day

17. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Scardy took PR since no one gave me the tools to do PR. Which is fine... when they finally give him the tools to do PR as he should then he will do a great job, I gave up on waiting.

But just to be clear, I was only being a jerk because pickled doesn't care so :D. Srs tho, I'm fine with there being "low res" versions of the particles as long as they don't provide any visual advantage, optimization is cool too bro, but removing or toning down high res visuals because some people with old rigs can't handle them should be strictly avoided.

18. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Yeah that's all I want. A way for crappy computers to also play with out people saying its cheating or gtfo we only accept good comps.

I mean if I can play dod:s or cs:s or even dystopia with out fps loss why shouldn't emp be the same?

19. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

on a side note, Empires maps really can't be optimized. Make particles with the thought that every person within 12,000 units will be rendering them :P

20. Empty

Empty Member

Yeah I added this amazing technology which makes explosions smaller onscreen the further you are away.