Organised team vs team scrim

Discussion in 'General' started by Spike, May 26, 2014.

1. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Why not? We already have scholarships, endowments, pseo programs and cheap community colleges. Senor literally just said that he wouldn't've been able to go to school without scholarships. I'm doubtful that his situation is unusual.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind seeing prices drop, but it's silly to pretend like all of the cost support systems silly don't exist just because the magical government doesn't control them.

2. FN198

FN198 Member

So... you're saying that only rich kids should be able to go to university and debauch themselves properly and that poor kids aren't allowed to have fun. You need to remember that money matters hardly as much to the rich as it does to the poor.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so why is your health-care system (so much) more expensive then ours then? following your theory it should only cost a fraction, where its actually the opposite.
    idk bout education though. maybe ill do some research on this later, i wouldnt be surprised finding similarities ...
    [​IMG]

found a better one which distinquishes among public and private (from 2011)
    [​IMG]
    src: http://www.oecd.org/newsroom/healthspendingcontinuestooutpaceeconomicgrowthinmostoecdcountries.htm

edit:
    oddly enough its not as easy to find as i thought, maybe im looking wrong? anyway, first trend so far is that your public spendings on education are about the same (slightly lower) as for european countries (except those, mainly "norse" countries, who do the only right thing and spend a shitload of education). but only expenses doesnt tell anything, the outcome is relevant too - which seem to be quite similar aswell. so all in all it seems like there isnt that much of a difference between your market liberal education and our communist ones ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Thats still not the same, we have free education for litterally everyone beause everyone pays a cut of their taxes your scholarships what ever the fuck is only for part of your society the lucky part who is gifted and what the fuck ever, it's not equality in education.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I honestly don't know what the infrastructure for things like this is in the US, but in the UK, no-one ever gets denied a student loan. Everyone is guaranteed to get a loan, with virtually no interest and a rule that you basically don't start paying it back until you're earning over a set amount per year. If you reach a specific age (42 I think) and it isn't paid off, the rest of the debt is written off either way. It's all supported by the government. The point being, regardless of your financial position, you are offered the exact same financial support as everyone else.

For me, that's a better solution, because if you really want to go into your line of study, there's no reason you wouldn't, there's no real risk. On the other hand, if you intend on doing a course which has no bearing on you getting employment afterwards, you really have to consider whether it's worth putting yourself in that debt position.

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Yeah

Empires

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

In the United States, there are actually several student loans. There's the Stafford loan, which is somewhat need based, the Perkins loan, which is entirely need based, and the PLUS loan, which is based off the parent's credit and taken by the parent for the child. Because they're offered by the US government, they're incredibly low interest, and they don't accrue interest until 6 months after graduation or dropping out. Then, if the student can prove need (which is easy as fuck to prove), the maximum amount that a person is required to pay on them is 10% of their income for 10 years if the work in the public sector, or 20 years in the private sector. Then there's all these jobs you can get that specifically free you of student loan debt, such as law enforcement and being a teacher in a low-income area.

So really, although it doesn't look very good just on the surface, there's so many qualifications and exemptions that a person can get that makes the process here a lot better than people think it is.

8. YouzY

YouzY Member

Derailing threads like always

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

As much as the topic of education is interesting for us, this post should make you realize that we're going a tad too deep.

10. FN198

FN198 Member

/me opens the backseat passenger door

OUT THE THREAD, KID

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

Are you trying to incite drama and implying that I don't belong here?

12. FN198

FN198 Member

My point is don't worry about derailments. They happen. It's up to the mods whether they should continue or not. If you've really got a problem then re-rail it yourself. Just make sure to do it with content and not meta.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

In Ontario, death can relieve you of all your student loan debts. There's no other quick way to reduce your debt except just working. So if the situation is dire you can just suicide and all your money problems are gone.

14. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Noone gives a fuck about organised empires play, but at least we got a not shitty discussion over a topic not related to crimes.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

Oh, I don't really care that much for the railing of the thread, I was merely pointing out the fact that we got a post from YouzY about the derailment.

16. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

yeah

YEAH

EMMPPIIREESS

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The problem is that it isn't very obvious to a lot of people. There is a lot of ways of saving money or having dept paid from college, but it is kinda hidden from plain view I feel.

18. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Yeah, the complexity of social support systems is immense.

It's easy to say that all of them should be replaced by a simple & elegant negative income tax or fair tax.

But it's much easier to pass little self-contained aid programs with easy-to-understand results than larger all-encompassing programs with vaguer results.

Need evidence? See PPACA. Regardless of whether or not it's good/bad, that poor little law is getting torn apart and that is never a good thing.

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The original topic is about an event that already happened so there's no harm in recycling this thread. We are actually saving a few bytes in Krenzo's DB!

Also, yes entry exams are needed.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's okay but what's not okay is tuition fees went up from very low to about 1k, then 3k, then 9k a year within the space of a decade. I should say tuitions fees should be at 3k a year max, at least that's a level where you've got to be serious with uni, but it won't break you for years and years and years afterwards.

Btw, anyone else wondering, the fees and all that are "means tested", meaning if you're poor in the uk, you get the price subsidised based on what kind of income your household has. It's not perfect, but it works mostly.