OpenTTD weekend interest?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Empty

Empty Member

I'm working friday through sunday ;_;

I'll try and pop in maybe.

2. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

wait you can just pop in on openTTD?

3. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Yes you can join the game whenever and leave and join again as you please.
    It's basically just like joining a normal game server.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

since you all love train-sims, did any of you try train fever? reviews are mixed, but i wanted a locomotion successor for long - quite undecided.

sry if i hijacked the thread, i thought its related enough

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Sound cool, I can probably make it. Only heard good things.

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Alright then I'm in.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Aight, once I'm 100% sure I can run this, I'll set a date and time. I'm thinking Friday night (UK time) at the moment but I'm open to Saturday afternoon also, whichever will allow the most people to be there for the first couple of hours.

8. flasche

trickster i hate you for making me waste my weekend ... :|ove:
    [​IMG]

what are the rules? how does it work MP never tried it ...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  9. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

I'd hate to ask, but what is this game?:headshot:

It looks like a focused, old sim city, and it doesn't require me to buy anything to play.
    I just don't know how to play.

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Transport Tycoon Deluxe is a game about moving stuff from one area to another area. That's about it.

The fun part is trying to do it in a efficient way that also doesn't mess you up later on.

11. flasche

its about trains ...

... i like trains :D

• start with finding a primary resource such as a mine or farm which is relatively close to a processing facility.
    • build a single track train-station at the resource (4 length is sufficient for now) and a 3-4+ track station to where the processing industry is.
    • connect it with a single track and place a train depot somewhere on the track.
    • click on the depot, click buy, buy the locomotive with the highest reliability, add 4-6 waggons of whatever resource its producing (the building tells you)
    • when you bought the loco a window popped up saying Train 1 as title. there is an arrow icon on the right, click it.
    • click "add station" (its on the bottom right), click on your station
    • repeat with the other station
    • now where it says "stationname - end blahblah" highlight the first stop, and click full load at the bottom
    • start the train

now continue this till you have a positive income, then start thinking about connecting everything - in the long run its all about towns. towns require passengers, mail and goods (in the moderate climate setting, its different in others). first two are produced by towns themselfs, goods are the end product of industry. the requirement of a town (or rather station) is depending on the amount of buildings in its influence area (theres an option to show it when you build).
    towns grow once they get supplies. if you want to have them grow fast build a inner city bus-line.

dont buildoze or demolish a lot of things before you have built at least 2-3 stations and have a somewhat good standing with local authorities. you still fuck it up and they dont like you, start building trees around the city. once you have a basic economy set up in the city you can raze the city as a whole and theyll still love you :D

id also advise you to read a tutorial on signals.

12. Empty

Empty Member

13. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

The whole giving trains orders thing still doesn't make sense to me.

I have a reliable train with cars but I have no idea how to get it to do things other than head out and immediately turn around.

14. Trickster

The wiki for the game is really really extensive. You should be able to find guides for just about everything on there. I mean, I could help you with your orders thing, but you're only going to end up stuck on the next basic thing, so it's easier to just read through the wiki and learn from scratch.

You know, I've totally forgotten how to make actual train networks. I don't want to brute force my way to most moneys by just making tonnes of single-line trains from industry to industry, I'd prefer to learn to network again. I just need to find the time to do it between now and when I run this.

As far as MP goes, it's pretty straight forward. We all join the server which is paused, create our companies etc. I start the game, probably 1950, and we just compete with eachother to create the largest company (financially and assets). It tends to start winding down by the year 2000-2020 as people get bored. Only real rules are about not griefing people, and that if anyone tries to take the colour red for their company they're instantly kicked and their company is dissolved.

I'm always red.

Are you using the zbase 32bpp graphics pack in that screenshot?

Also I really want to re-iterate this: I am willing to help anyone get the original music/sfx set up for their game if they want it. I can't honestly imagine playing openTTD without the original music, it just wouldn't be the same game.

15. flasche

im sorry its german (one of the few games where it doesnt bug me) but i numbered it for you

[​IMG]

click on the depot (1), buy stuff (2), get to the order window (3), click drive to (4) and then click on a station tile, repeat the last step for all halts you want. then let the train go ...

if its still just going out and in again it also might be bad signaling.

(also yes i realize the station would serve better the other way round)

you get most money out of passenger transports anyway (only "ware" that transports both ways) and for this you need at least a basic networked economy or youll never get towns over 2-3k inhabitants (the one in my screeny was at over 30k before i called it a day).
    i mean theoretically you can start with passenger transport and a whole network from day0, but it will take considerably longer to wait for money ... a single track supply early on gets you around 8k per delivery, passenger trains this early usually are under 1k.

but i usually play less for efficiency but more for beauty and vast networks with many trains on the move. i sometimes build distribution terminals for wares, even though i only supply 3 towns, just to have more trains going around ^^

im grey then ;)

but tbh as long as its not pink i usually dont change color for the first 40years or so :D

yes zbase and egrvts2. its the first time i play OPENttd, ive always been playing ttdx or locomotion (i miss a lot of locos features, especially building at different elevation levels, but openttd has some nifty stuff aswell).

how is your stance on satelite stations? i mean its a straight exploit, no arguments, but one i figured out myself in the original game and its still in the recreated one (and even loco), so maybe its one of the bugs that became a feature? if you dont know how to build them id be happy to explain, not sure if this is common knowledge ...

aaand another thing, im looking for different station gfx (preferably different types, like metropolitan, rural and wares) with 32bit sprites - any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

What's the advantage to that satellite station?
    Now I'm sad.:(

17. flasche

it has shared influence area as it counts as one station (this also means shared ware types, so that bus depot there also accepts mail and goods because of the "connected" train station while normaly it would only accept passengers)

its rather easy to make. first start with a bus-station or lory-stop or airport or whatever, then directly connect a 1 track wide 7 piece long trainstation leading in the direction you want. now you can build another, bigger, station (or airport or whatever) connected to this train station (track direction doesnt have to fit). and finally you delete the connecting trainstation. for the game its still one station though there is no physical connection. it doesnt work much further then 7 tiles. if you extend a 4 platform station by 7 you cannot connect an airport to the outside anymore. i didnt do measurements, i dont always extend for 7 tiles either, just to fit stations better and not block growth too much.

it doesnt work for production though (no that the above generates money without transportation). you cant connect a farm and a factory f.e, you have to transport wares for 1 tile minimum. you can build lory depots which are 1 unit apart, it generates a ton of money, but it looks shit. and as said before, i mainly play for looks (yeh i know that sounds odd given the gfx)

thatd also be my main multiplayer interest, having more living world. only thing that bugs me a bit is that there wont be fast forward for the first couple of years where money is an issue ... by year 10 it should be of no concern anymore and your loan repayed. (just connect 5, 6 resources with industries, your starting money + loan should be more then enough, and you should start to get good money to start bigger projects)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  18. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

You can just hold ctrl while placing stations to select which one it attaches to.

19. flasche

ahahaha man i should read the wiki aswell ^^

so, no exploit, even better :D

thanks trainzack

20. Trickster

You don't need to network to grow a town to be honest. Just spam it full of bus stations, build out the roads in a 3x3 grid for the town to expand into, and then use the bus stations to transfer the passengers to your stations which run from town to town. You can earn disgusting amounts of money for very little overhead and super quickly. I mean, I can literally win as the most high value company by just doing that in as many towns as possible, but it just feels cheap, so I aim to actually trying setting up a proper network.

The main exploit atm is to just spam trees with the local authority doesn't like you so you can get what you want. That'll never get changed. Also, we usually play with evgrts2 and something to add better boats. We'll probably stick with those 2 things again and avoid anything that changes the industries when most of us haven't played this in a few years. If it's successful and I'm motivated to run another one, I might put a more advanced industry mod on.

With regard to this actual game, I'm still waiting to find out how much time I'm going to have over this weekend. I'd prefer if some of the Americans can get back to me on when they'd be available between Friday night and Saturday lunchtime (UK time), so that I can schedule accordingly.