Oh My Fucking God There Are More Than 40 Players Online On A Wednesday Night

Discussion in 'General' started by Paradox, Mar 26, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wait a few weeks of bullshitting around and its gonna be empty again ...

2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I rather play a full 60 slot server on what ever the fuck the ping is than play on one of the 2 servers with 30-40 people on since 10-people-in-spec-rule, and the more people the more fun.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

This. We peaked at around 35 people today.

4. flasche

yeah either ppl get their shit together, the game gets fixed or GG

5. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

For you maybe but not for me or most anyone else. You come into my server and whine non stop about lag, tell everyone on VIPER to go to epic server, no one follows you, I get messages from players complaining about your whining, if you are not happy there, don't join.
    since the majority do not get lag and a minority do then its not the server its your rates or your location or your internet or something on your end.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Speaking of rates... viki... mind advertising them so we can be sure we have perfect sync?

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You didn't honestly expect to maintain the activity we had last week did you? That was never going to happen. If you honestly think that every player who is not playing now, who was playing last week stopped simply because of some in-game issues, then you're really mistaken. People show up, try things out and then move on. A lot of people just popped in to see how we're doing.

Realistically, if we can peak at 30 most nights, but above all, keep a much wider range of activity, rather than for 2-3 hours a night, I think that's really more important.

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

sv_minrate
    sv_maxrate
    sv_mincmdrate
    sv_maxcmdrate
    sv_minupdaterate
    sv_maxupdaterate

Afaik both viper and epic are 30 or 33 for update and cmdrate and either 40000 or 50000 - 100000 for rate. If you dont have a really awful internet then I'd suggest setting rate to 50000 minimum as much less will give a lot of lag on a busy server

9. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I love the way people whinge and gurn about bugs, yet offer no help during the scheduled testing (not just flasche btw before you take offence)

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

We have the rights to dream.

You really shouldn't deny that the game and the community just isn't best at keeping its popularity.
    Grief/Flame/Ignorance/Crash/Exploit/Shotty...etc

But that's truth, if we want the game to "sustain itself", the server has to be filled 24/7.
    Then there's the problem, too much shit to do out there, even I chose to play Leagues with my friends last night.

11. flasche

you know, if testing means district, just no ...

... also ive been there twice - sry i have a life besides playing - writing up (obviously nonsensical) posts takes me minutes, playing (and be it only testing) means an hour at least.

in case not everyone knows already, im usually named "no" nowerdays, i like how its such positive nick ;)

you honestly think all this is because of last week? i just forgot how it was during the last year i didnt play. nothing has changed really, i give you that tank armor is a tiny bit better now, also i like that you overheat faster, but thats all minor - noone ever targeted the real issues the game has and that is that rush and ninja tactics are promoted by implementation. i think the most pressing issue is that you just can drive pass everything, it doesnt even require much skill, if anything a somewhat decent ping and if you dont drive with defusal maybe a second try because you found the one cookie hindering you the first try - except for when the map enforces it by design there are no clear frontlines in empires EVER. its all about who can pull their rush/sneaky/exploity tactics first - not about diggin it out in a trench warfare which the game suggests revolving around.

also

• there still are jeeps that turn you more or less invincible for around 70res, they aint armored at all, yet they take null damge from small arms fire and due to their hitboxes and unpredictedness its close to impossible to hit the driver reliably. well it might be understandable that 9mm doesnt hurt the motorblock, but it would go through the rest of the vehicle hurting the driver and probably destroy electronics, tubes and other small parts - for 5.56 or 7.62mm it would be differently, it might aswell damage the engineblock or penetrate the tank. also, and this probably is the most bullshit thing about jeeps, RPG hits dont destroy them instantly, nor do ML turrets.
    • there still are basically only two classes, engi and gren - and gren not because of tanks, they suck against them but because its the best anti-infantry class (yey mowtar, mines, shotty, defuse and punch). if empires is about tanks, tanks and tanks alone, why have infantry in the first place?
    • there still are walls that let you fire at enemies while they turn you more or less invincible behind them (another reason why gren is overrepresented, its the only class which lets you fire behind those walls)
    • there still are heavies that make up for 5 grens minimum - and you also need engis to repair the damage they have done - with the excuse that you could just focus targets. yes you can, but they can aswell. and there is nothing hindering you building as many heavies as there are enemies, except for a generally low level of organisation in pub games - how to multiply my team? oh right i cant. and oh fuck i forgot, its tanks countering tanks, like its engis countering engis, roffles countering roffles, grens grens and scunts scunts - or did i get that wrong aswell?
    • there still are bioml, hit missiles and arty which are not bad by default, but they dont let you fight back anymore - get a stray hit by one of them, you dead - unless ofc the map is designed to mitigate this. and i thought being able to fight back would be essential - isnt it the excuse for all the other shit mechanics?
    • there still are plenty of ways to end the game prematurely.
    • there still is boomtanking - which is nothing but egoistic. its fun at times, yet its an utterly shitty game mechanic and nothing of value would be lost if itd be gone.
    • there still is decaying scout sabotage that force you to play capture the scout in small games.
    • there still aint turrets strong enough to pose an actual threat to tanks - not even lvl3s. newbies might feel threatend, but once you tell them they just drive pass them, just like most of us do (except for to get more points).
    • there still are level 3mgs with absurd range and/or RoF
    • there still is a scout rifle that has no practical use in the game other then being either imbalanced on wide open maps or useless in confined spaces - apart of being a nub magnet.
    • there still is hide which lets you turn completely invisible except for your eyes, forcing player to switch class ending up without any mines or removed walls, turrets and no calc juice if you switch back (i resort to killing myself rather then switching back to engi since its faster to fill up the calc, great implementation)
    • there still are unpure servers and im quite sure theres still a lot of cheating going on - because hurrdurr custom content - but maybe i should just go through all the vtfs and vmts and make a publically available cheat-version to put everyone on the same level?
    • there still are no measures whatsoever to target stacks - because hurrdurr again, "we want to play with our friends". yeah at best all on one team to steamroll and stomp regular players who just want to enjoy shooting at eachother.

and this is only what hasnt been targeted in the recent yearS and not the new imbalances/quirks/exploits introduced with this version - a lot shouldnt require to change a single line of code, because this usually is another handy excuse (i fully understand btw)
    also i didnt rank the points i made, they are in the order they came to mind, and this list is everything but complete ...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  12. D.D.D. Destroyer

There's not one point on the list that I don't agree with flasche on.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Same here.

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Great list. I concur that all of these points should be addressed. We have ideas for most of them already :)

15. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That's encouraging.

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

Ideas are nice but they still need effort to becone reality, that's the issue.

17. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

They're being worked on. The Scout overhaul could actually be finalized in the coming days (probably a week or two, I have so much RL shit going on)

18. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That soon? Shit, I was honestly expecting this summer.

Slow down. No burnout por favor.

19. flasche

my major gripe with this is that we argue about those things for years now, i could go search the topics, im quite certain id find most points in 2007 aswell.
    yes there has been mootant the obstinate dev and jephir had enough shit to do fixing what he cba to fix - but if its moving in the direction i described above you manage to hide it well from us and tricksters excuses doesnt make it look like either.

20. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I already had a discussion with cyberkiller, R.E. bugs.

I pretty much said to him if it hasnt been posted recently then assume that it's unknown.

It might result in a bunch of extra posts about stuff thats already known but its pretty damn hard to fix something if you dont know its broken. (Lets take the BE APC snow camouflage not working on the turret as an example, I never knew about that before now, even though he posted about it a long time ago. Now its been fixed for the next RC. That only happened because he brought it up again, if he hadn't I still wouldnt know there was something wrong with it.)

Edit: Its also worth remembering that anyone that contributes to the game does so in their free time. Just because some things take awhile doesn't mean they aren't being worked on.