New X-Com Game

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Krenzo, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

first person?
    I cried a little.

I thought BioShock was horrible, and plain awful as successor to System Shock2. With X-COM they've hit a new low.

3. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

2k what the fuck are you doing, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOOOOIINNNNGGG!?

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

5. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

turning PSI strength into plasmids?

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Why!

<filler>

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Bioshock needs to go off and fucking die. 2K games along with it.

8. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

It is kind of sad that they chose a first-person shooter to be the genre, but really, we should have expected this. With some creativity and effort, it's possible they could have adapted an old style of play into a new paradigm*... Or they could make a first-person shooter. They'll probably try to integrate squad elements into it (who knows, that might be alright - although I've yet to see a compelling squad AI from any game) but an FPS is pretty much the lowest common denominator for audiences and simple enough to design for a team that size.

Basically, it's a way to try to re-introduce the X-com name as a viable franchise to new audiences. You have to look at this from a business perspective; you can't bank on die-hard fans for profit. You can't. If you're sitting on a license as old and with as much potential as X-com, all you can do is re-imagine it as something you hope a general audience will latch onto, and work your way from there.

This doesn't make 2k's decision any less forgivable, of course, but I can see why they'd do this. If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to buy it. In fact, it's probably not going to be good, so you could just not buy it and it's as good as gone.

(Woah, that got kind of ranty. Maybe I'm still upset I'm never going to get Freespace 3, or anything like it, for much the same reasons.)

*The most recent turn-based shooty-dudes game I've seen is Valkyria Chronicles, which was a critical success, but a financial flop.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

The Tom Clancy Las vegas (first one) squad mechanics worked pretty well, actually...

10. Nattaboy

Nattaboy Member

This shall bloweth.

AND YOU DON'T EVEN PLAY AS AN XCOM AGENT? WTF!

11. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Bioshock I thought was solid. Then some random other dev team picked it up to make Bioshock 2 and screwed it up.

I don't have high hopes for an XCom fps.

12. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

2k what the fucking hell are you on acid or something, they must not of noticed that they OWN firaxis and firaxis has engines that specifically takes advantage of TILES and the sort, and they aren't an FPS but an RTS.

Before anyone talks about how Fallout 3 was raged to death and it turned out great, just keep in mind thats an ARRR PEEE GEEE. Not an RTS, I hope to god that they quite quickly realize they "accidently" said their main charectar was a FBI agent and not an X-com agent and fix it immedietely other-wise I will find their houses and burn them to the ground, and dance on their graves ALL OF THEM!

Sad thing is I bet its going to be an almost identical remake of Xcom Alliance.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  13. Empty

Empty Member

Vess is going to be mad.

14. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Don't forget Daikatana...

15. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist

Most people are too dumb and don't got the patience to enjoy tactical/strategy games anyway, so I guess they just want to make money with FPS being all the rage these days.

16. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

[​IMG]\

My own happens to be around 138 hehe, but hey whatever IQ is simply a number I don't see it as an achievement, it all comes down to gene pools and chance to the extent of my knowledge...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  17. arklansman

arklansman Member

I can tell.

18. Cloud

Cloud Member

And that's why our beloved Vulky has a dunce title.

19. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I'm so special :P

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The Strategy gamer is always much more intelligent and open minded as compared to anything else.Its the reason why games like warcraft you can find someone actually wise or intellectual and have a smart chat with them, you go onto FPS and you get this bullshit with:

First player: "lolz i are teh pwnz0rz you!"

Second player*notably a kid* "FUCK YOU! YOU WANNA GET TOUGH"

Third player*notably a spec or a much more older player* "Kid shutup no one wants to hear you scream about your everquest bullshit"

I aint drunk and I aint talkin shit, its true, RTS has more smarter people compared to RPG or FPS where people just talk about their latest leather belt/kill.