New PC : Quad Core 3.2 Ghz Processcor : basically nuclear powered.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Axeman, Aug 21, 2010.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Yes, you want to yell at me for throwing insults.

The number of people I know that actually buy a card now and one later...oh, no one. They all say they will, but never do. They either put the money up front into the PC, or they wait a year or two and then upgrade.

Also...the 4850CF cannot beat the 5870...go look up some reviews. Oh, no, you won't, you'll just say I'm wrong. Fucking prepubescent moron. I'll give you a hint: guru3d has some cool 5850 crossfire reviews showing the 5850 single setup already beating the 4850CF setups. This is not guaranteed every hardware rev, but your statement that it's a known fact is bullshit. Like most everything you post.

Enjoy.

2. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

http://media.bestofmicro.com/9/O/181788/original/image010.png
    http://media.bestofmicro.com/9/T/181793/original/image015.png

Yeah, the GTS250 is doing real great. If you'd have bothered to read you'd know I was talking about how the GTS250 is the 9800GTX. And how the 9800GTX is the 8800GTS. I forgot it was the 512 (I assumed 256-bit bus and 320-bit bus), but that's it.

Power consumption does indeed give an accurate telling of the core temp as well; whether you think it does or not. I'm not saying XXX watts = XXX temp. I'm saying more watts = higher temp. What's so hard to understand? The HD5850 gets 70c on 35% fan, the GTX470 gets 80c on 55% fan. Guess which card has a lower power draw? And, by extent, guess which card is far more efficient?

Also, I told you nVidia had worse 3-way scaling. It was tested 3x GTX480 vs 3x HD5870.
    http://translate.google.com/transla...test/&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1

and..

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gtx-480-radeon-5870-crossfire-sli,10219.html

3. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

The problem is that you continuously throw insults at me. At nearly every turn.

Also, that's nice that you know zero people. I'm just going off of what I've recommended to people and what they've bought. And, of course, reading some posts of how great it was to finally crossfire that second 5770 or 5850.

Also, where the heck did I say the 4850CF beats the 5870? Where? You're putting words into my mouth trying to make yourself look good, and it's failing. Oh look, an insult. Go figure.

Just as an end; I'm 15. I'm not a moron, and I'm certainly not a complete ass. I'm happy with a 3.9GPA, and I'm handling a debate more maturely that you are. Just because you have a bigger, badder setup doesn't mean you know more. Settle down.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  4. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

You didn't; I'm extrapolating data to show you don't know what you're talking about:

There's no way you can know this, and as I said - extrapolating from existing data, if the 68XX shows as much of a perf increase over the 58XX as the 58XX did over the 48XX...then you're wrong. A 5850 beats 2x 4850s, and thus a 5870 beats 2x 4850s.

So what you're saying has no basis, no logic behind it, and no data. You're talking out of your ass. And why am I so tired of you? Because you're the typical <18 year old in HS who thinks because they read a review, that they can talk like an expert. You're not one. I'm not one either, but I try to read the white papers. I've gone through physics...I have some foundation to build upon.

Again, you're wrong. This is all dependant on how efficient the heatsink is. If you want to talk efficiency, temperature is NOT involved. If you want to talk temperatures hit, fan speed and power consumption do not add up. The temperature is a function of how much energy the processor puts out minus the energy dissipated via the heatsink. And the amount of energy the heatsink can dissipate is going to rely on it's material - copper vs aluminum and their specific heats; heatpipes, how hot the ambient air is. What volume of air the fan is throwing. Where the air vents. It's a complex dynamic system you have to look it.

Stating how fast the fan goes and how much power the GPU uses does not add up to what the heat is. I mean, lets look at your example, and break it.

You're saying a fan at 33% speed allowing the GPU to run cooler means it consumes less power than a GPU that at 50% fan speed runs hotter. How much air are those fans throwing? How efficient are those heatsinks? You're comparing apples to oranges here. You cannot extrapolate from fan speed and the chip's relative temperature the amount of power it is consuming.

GPU1 here is at 55C under load, with the fan running at 30% speed.
    GPU2 is at 75C with the fan at 55% speed

Which one consumes more power?

let's add more data:
    GPU1's fan throws 50 CFM at 30%
    GPU2's fan throws 30 CFM at 55%

Now what's your answer?

Moreover:
    GPU1's heatsink uses heatpipes at the base with copper fins soldered on to the heat pipes
    GPU2's heatsink uses no heat pipes at all, and uses aluminium fins.

Given all of that data, my answer would be "well, GPU2's heatsink just sucks"

You cannot extrapolate any real data from temperature. You can guess, but you cannot speak as fact.

So please, stop talking about temperature as if it's a direct function of power consumtion. It's not. Power consumption is a parameter in the equation, but the equation for measured temperature has quite a few parameters ranging from the fan, to the ambient temperatures to the metals used. It's a great study of physics to look at it...but it's hadly simple.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Actually, I CAN know that the S.I. won't double Cypress' performance. How? Because it's a refresh. There's no major changes other than to the un-core. Shaders are rumoured 1920, and that's it. It's not going to be that much of a perf increase. 20% is expected, ~35% is hoped. Ban me forever if it doubles performance again, but I'm 99.99% sure it won't. These are things that most tech forum-goers agree upon.

Also;

List of most power-consuming cards;
    GTX480
    HD5970
    GTX470
    [not-so-power-consuming cards]
    HD5870
    HD5850
    GTX460

That list of cards in terms of temerature.
    GTX480
    HD5970
    GTX470
    HD5870
    GTX460/HD5850 (unsure of GTX460's temps).

What I'm getting at is that there is a simple pattern. Higher power draw = Higher temps. Otherwise the card would debut $35+ over MSRP in order to cover for the additional headsink costs.
    That being said, nVidia did do a good job on the GTX480's heatsinks/fan, in that there isn't too much room to improve on. ATI did well too, obviously, but there's more room there.

6. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Someone give them their own subforum to bicker in so we don't have to see this shit :headshot:

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

No need. He doesn't understand physics, so I give up. If I try one more time, I think I'll end up beating my head on a brick wall. Why I ever thought I he would be sensible, I don't know...but there you have it.

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Dead argument is dead.

9. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

why does every time i look at one of these threads RA is ragearguing with someont baout something

10. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Because everyone on these forums are clueless, of course.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Someone say clue?!

Empty did it with the candlestick in the library!

12. Empty

Empty Member

That candle was hot.

13. ViroMan

I bet the wax was sticky too, was it scented?

14. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I bet he still has the smell on him.

15. Empty

Empty Member

It's funny because my previous alias was Candle.

16. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I used to be Stool.

Like 5 years ago.

Empty's on top >.>

17. ViroMan

what kind of stool we talking about the sit on kind or the shit out one?
    cuz either way your comment sounds bad. Either he is sitting on you or he is shitting you out. lol

18. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

It's disturbing to even think where did you get the idea.

19. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

In my old old old clan (my home clan, which is a dysfunctional family to me), ?WwT?, has a douchebag leader Worldwaker. Trying to impress him (I was 12 at the time) over the mic somehow, he ended up muting me and changing my name to ?WwT? Stool. I just left it there for a month or so.

20. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

You should be able to overclock that phenom 955 to nearly 4ghz.