New PC : Quad Core 3.2 Ghz Processcor : basically nuclear powered.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Axeman, Aug 21, 2010.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Don't get the gtx 460 axemen, theres a lot of other benchmarks, and its not worth the money.

Its gold coming from me, as I bought 2 260's back when one of em cost the same as the 460 does now, but lol, I was going for massive.

2. Deiform

Deiform Member

D:

Didn't realise AMD didn't support it. I thought they were as kind as Intel and supported both.

3. Axeman

Axeman Member

1 : Cause I am a sucker for stable non-pirated operating systems, games on the other hand....

2 : Already have a case, going to re-use the custom one from this shit PC.

3 : Hamster I get mail in re-bates in combinations, so I get about $60 back.

4 : Instead of the 460 what would you guys recommend?

4. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

5. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

It depends. Do you want the best performance per dollar? Are you willing to OC? I'd grab an hd5850 NOW and crossfire later. But if you want good performance now, grab an hd5770 crossfire.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

And a pci-e 1.0 x8 won't significantly bottleneck anything.

7. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

And dealt with AMD's unreliable shitty drivers and hardware. My second 5970 has died, and I struggle with AMD drivers on a regular basis. I'll take a GTX480 that hit 95C ANY day over my POS 5970. Never. Again. Never will I buy ATI hardware again. This has been hell, and continues to be.

8. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

There's a reason Intel is doing better chipset wise: They went GPU agnostic on AMD. SLI & Crossfire supported.

9. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Because crossfire is TOTALLY stable and supported by all games. Wait a second...yeah.

SLI and Crossfire are NOT worth it. I have a card with Crossfire built in and it is in NO WAY stable. MultiGPU rendering still blows.

10. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Plenty of others are quite happy. As for drivers, I've had one small self-fixed issue. Crossfire works on the games that need it. I've also been seeing nvidia driver issues crop up just as much as ati, too.
    Southern islands might be worth the 2-3 month wait..

Also there's a reason AMD only supports ATI..something to do with them being the same company.

11. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

KNow what's funny? Intel chipsets see more sales because...oh, again...they're GPU agnostic. I don't need to worry if I like AMD or nVIdia GPUs, I can just buy a X58 mobo and call it a day. nVidia is making plenty of X58 mobos...they didn't go off and make their own, and they're doing well because of it.

Sure, some are happy...but go and look at the numer of people unhappy. Pretty high. My GTX280, back in my PC for now, is rock solid. My 5970...drivers crashed at least once a day.

12. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Because he wants to be legal? Because people WORK on Windows and get PAID for it? Because it's digital doesn't mean you can have it for free?

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

14. Trickster

15. Trickster

16. Trickster

17. Trickster

18. Trickster

button.

19. Trickster

Also, when they stop charging $112 for their mid/mainstream range software, which is absolutely integral to the system and not optional, as well as not requiring a different license for every computer in your house, then I'll consider thinking it might actually be reasonable to pay for it.

On top of that, I think the amount of versions is stupid. You need a stripped down version for people with really old computers, and a normal verison. Nothing more. They shouldn't strip out features to regular users, even if they won't use them. It's like Blizzard adding the region lock to Starcraft 2 so that some people will buy 2 copies to cover 2 different regions. It's just taking the piss. I rarely pirate games now, as I can buy most off steam at a reasonable price. But before steam, I rarely bought them, because they were all £40 each. If they insist on being greedy, then people will insist on piracy.

So yeah, I'd just download and make an ISO of windows 7 ultimate. Saves you $112 that you can use to add better components. I'm not saying don't spend the money you save, I'm saying use it to make a better system.

20. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

I didn't know nvidia made x58 mobos...also, I didn't know they are doing well. In fact, last I heard, they'r not doing well at all. Not from anything related to a gaming card.