New map sizing for Planes/Infantries

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Castrol GTX, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I've heard that new maps featuring airplanes are going to be huge. I imagine they are already being built now anyway. What I'm wondering is whether infantry will have to move across very long distances, or if the real map will be the same size, but surrounded by cliffs that planes can fly over.

Like Canyon, but over the cliffs there are huge plains (or terrain w/e) that planes fly over when they are turning around or dogfighting. That way, in the early game without apcs people arent forced to run miles to get anywhere.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

16x is air only, 8x is air and ground.

It's up to the mapper to ensure that infantry can be useful without walking miles, and I suspect the dev team will make it easier to get transport.

3. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I dont know shit about mapping. Is 8x the current size?

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

No, 1x is the current size.

16x is the normal size of the 3d skybox which you might find if you noclip outside the map, a full 16x map would fill the whole map with something on that scale, so it would be very large when you scale the players down.

5. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

You'll either be using jeeps, map-specific types of transport (think monorails, gotta love blowing up those tracks), or dropships. You can try walking, but i think the game would be over by the time you get to the enemy.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Trouble with monorails is they sorta suck balls.

I suppose I'll have to experiment with trains and see if I can get one that works reasonably well, as it stands though the present entities are a bit buggy, they could probably use some attention if you're planning on making them part of the maps. More capabilities on the entity would be nice, as well as smoother movement for players on one.

7. Cloud

Cloud Member

Or ya could go all sci-fi and make it so that both BE and NF both have developed a short-range teleporter, and scatter em across the maps.

Edit: Or make it possible to switch between barracks when no enemies are around

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Transport planes.

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Or allow coms to place train tracks (same system as walls) and stations to support fast deployment, think of that, rax wagon(deployable at station or you just need to wait more to spawn there), armory wagon, armored wagon with a 2slot cannon ;pp

edit: if the c4 gets in , scots could be moar usefull, because they could damage th track.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  10. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Member

Heres a good suggestion for mappers to send troops over checkpoints quickly.

Some sort of platform which is powered by jet engines which shoots them over a distance in a underground tunnel.

It would have to be made so the troops are actually teleporting over the distance, but the animation of the movement would look like they are moving very fast, and it is underground to so you wouldn't need light.

example:
    "o" - player
    "_" - path
    "x" - ride ends
    point 1 ------------------------------- point 2
    o----------> Teleport in the dark >----------x o player exits station
    ____________==============_____________

Note that it can be set so it can carry several soldiers in a station to another, can have a set time during the transportation.

EDIT: maybe stations can be capturable in some areas, but cannot send soldiers to each others base, only in the middle of the field...

11. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

ugh, when 8x and 16x maps come out there will be planes
    planes = dropship
    no trains needed

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

"Everyone Jump in my drop ship!!!"

*Ejecting sound, followed by parachute deployment*

"Uhh, was that the pilot?"

*boom*

:headshot: emp_recruit

13. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

dropships are unarmed armed not heavily, and there wont be any planes in near future so i suggested something that can replace their role for some time until they will be released

14. Empty

Empty Member

func_trains have worked perfectly for me, the only issue I've had is they're incredibly hard to turn, AND look good while turning.

15. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

erm, so, 8x and 16x maps are made to go with planes, why release them at different times?

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Well, (for 8x maps -- 16x maps are for aircraft-only and would be silly without them), it'd let people make maps that might be compatible with aircraft when they're out... of course, they'ed have never been tested or balanced with aircraft before, but they might be 'adoptable' to aircraft with only moderate changes (unlike existing maps, which probably can't be adopted without absolutely massive changes, practically remaking the map from scratch.)

Also, some people might simply enjoy playing on a very large map, aircraft or not.

17. Jäger

Jäger Member

i say just make the BE jeep be able to hold the same ammount of troops as the NF one. and make them cheaper. then infantry can just roll out in jeeps. and then APC's when the team has enough res.

18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I think that I said that I can upload build with scaling for mappers but I don't remember if they wanted it.

This scaling was never used in big testing sesions.

19. Empty

Empty Member

I'm pretty sure a build that ran things in 16x would be welcomed by mappers, the maps will take ages, might as well get it started now.

20. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah, teleporter based elevators and trains are quite possible, the difficulty arises in making them logistically viable for large numbers of players.

One entity which would be nice is a prop which has a screen on it, that mappers can make display text, with a colour and size.

Would be helpful for such a train system, especially if you had an input which could use a parameter override to put new text in the box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.