New map sizing for Planes/Infantries

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Castrol GTX, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Oh right, dropships can carry vehicles. I nearly forgot to mention it, though it's found in the info section of the website.

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You can't parent physics objects.

3. Solidox

Solidox Member

For 16x maps, Jeeps + 3 phase + scout speed = planes without wings

4. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

I played a custom map a few days ago, I forget the name but it had some woods in the middle with an oil rig thing. It was huge. Basically what happened, both teams rushed mid, one team got the ref there and built turrets/whatnot. The other team couldnt take it because the run distance was so long. By the time a rax or apc was out, the mid was firmly the first teams. Good example I think of stupidly huge, flat maps.

5. Demented

Demented Member

Though you can constrain them, and it works just as well.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Castrol_GTX: 16X maps are for aircraft, how many more times do we have to say it? Infantry won't work well there, in case you didn't notice.

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

come now guys, whats all this talk about dropships planes and trains!?

dont forget about your blimps!^^

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

bimps?! BIMPS YOU CALL THEM?!

BLIMPZ! Or was it Blimps? Meh..

9. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

nooo!!!! I disgraced the blimps! AHHHH! FORGIVE ME!

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It was blimbz last I heard.

11. Theoriginalbman

Theoriginalbman Member

trains would be sweet plus is there anyone here that honestly thinks that their team can be relied upon for transport.

12. Kamber

Kamber Member

i don't think relying on an apc driver to get you some where fast is much different than relying on a pilot to fly you somewhere.

13. Notorious

Notorious Member

heh, ok, so me just joining this forum, i just read all 10 pages in this general discussion topic which seems focused on ideas and questions related to trains/airplanes/big fukn maps.

my question is, with the level of players the way it is, you'd think there would be a new AA gun turret implemented, and with that, a higher turret limit, or just make missile turrets shoot up, but that would be kinda gay having a seeking missile chase down your plane no matter what

also, how much faster are you expecting these planes to go? if theyre as fast as a vehicle, itll still take way too damn long to cross even a 16x-planesonly map, if theyre faster then vehicles; one, most people have a hard freakin time controlling a 3phase engine, and two, how the hell are people going to 'dogfight' when they have to circle great distances to even get a good shot off cause of their speed

I've never played a game with airplanes before, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I can see people just playing evasion while they search for easier ground targets, unless forced to fight another plane.

And trains, anyone else think that its just a little too easy to kill an emp_recruit in a tank that just stands still or drives in one direction, let alone putting something on tracks, so you know exactly where its going anyway.

Plus, if all the maps I've been playing are 1x, some of them are a pain for infantry already, depending on how theyre designed, if theres going to be airplanes, might as well just keep the 1x maps, make planes the same speed as vehicles, but agile as crazynothing, and the difference will be that they can go up or down. and the air field building tiny as crap so that it can function as part of a base, i mean, most people don't even put down armories cause half the time they dont end up fitting anywhere effective and sometimes no one will build them.

Some other ideas I've seen thrown around while playing are things like cheaper jeeps and/or jeeps with guns(nukes weren't ruled out either). The funniest one was suicide jeeps, aka, jeeps that blow up when driven into something and do area damage. plus, i was thinking of some sort of way to restrict vehicle access to individual players, to prevent nub tanks, or griefing. (same for planes?)

ocassionally you hear a lot of clamoring for changes to classes, but you just have to notice that there are functional tactics for each class that make them extremely effective, engineer and riflemen are pretty basic, ask Dubee how to be a good grenadier, and I've seen some scouts who had moments, but most of them just sit on a hill or in a corner and try to hide/snipe which ends up being more or less useless to a team, especially when theres 4 of them hiding in the same spot? anyone that doesn't know how to kill a scout just avoids their area and then you just have a empty uniform on your team wondering why he can't see anyone to shoot them. but then again, scout is the default class in the class window isnt it?

I've probably just rambled a bit, but I'm trying to bring up some solid points.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

AA turrets have been planned for ages, there's even a HUD element for it in the VGUI folder somewhere.
    Aircraft need the high speed, otherwise they'd be too weak or too powerful (depends on what they're capable of), and 16X maps are focused on aircraft.
    We're also a very long way off from aircraft, so don't expect changes soon.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

imo the only purpose for 16x maps would be to construct a sea map with several islands, that way infantry/tank combat isn't too spaced out, but planes still have room to manouver.

16. rat-morningstar

rat-morningstar Member

this would be so awsome

17. Jäger

Jäger Member

yess then there could be boats too lol..............

but anyway. ive always been kinda curious as to how the planes are gonna be controlled. its not really the point of this topic but still. the map design will have to be based around the abbilities of planes so it ties in.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

are there going to be Kirov zeppelins in the game? that would be awesome...

Kirov zeppelin, reporting in...

19. madboi9o2

madboi9o2 Member

I have some ideas: New class- Pilot, Crossbow+knife+parachute
    New sentry:AA Sentry, New camera, Plane Coordinator, sees plane coords and sends them to AA sentries to shoot the plane down. Also, Plane Ridges where Pilots spawn, and to fox newbs crashing planes and causing lag, 3 pilots are chosen like the commander vote, and everyone else gets their pilot class unlocked at rank 20. Here's another good idea, how about a bomb signal, to show where planes should drop a bomb to knock out those pesky tanks?
    If anyone has any other good ideas, feel free to reply.

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Dude, you're late to this thread too. Aircraft have been deemed almost impossible in source already and the idea has been long dropped. I know you might bring up eternal silence and garrysmod, but those have been debunked anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.