New Gren skill - Building health detection.

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by Dubee, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Bump

The main reasons you guys say no are

1. It would only be useful in certain situations
    A lot of skills are only useful in certain situations(heal upgrade, arty feedback) regardless of whether or not grens still have diffusal this is a skill people could use when trying to save ammo and destroy buildings. Not giving the enemy free repair points or directing squad members into a barracks or telling them to shoot it.

2. If it showed how many engineers were repairing it.
    You don't need to see how many because you will see the progress of it either getting repaired or going down.

This is extremely easy to add and will be useful for taking down forward barracks with tanks or squad arty. Also knowing if an unbuilt barracks is not built all the way would be nice. Empty said unbuilt buildings will have smoke but he didn't say whether or not the smoke will stay there when the building is almost built.

2. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

No Dubee you're right, this should be under consideration at the very least.

I can't say it will happen, but it should be under serious discussion. I personally think that more forms of health detection should be available to more classes (in the both fun and real sense that you could look at a building and tell the difference between mint and damage, or notice the difference between 4 plates of armor and an exposed hull). This is at the very least a step in the right direction.

I agreed before that it should be in, but I never moved the topic.

3. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Why not just give health detection on tanks and buildings to everyone? Spending skill slots on information related stuff seems counter-active to the goal of actually being more effective at everything else. Would you rather have extra ammo, or armor detection? More tank health, or building detection? If the max amount of skills was higher and it was easier to get more skills, then I think more variety would be good, but as it is now it's too hard to get all four skills before the round ends on you.

4. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

If it's used right (and in the right situation), armor detection can be way more useful than the tiny bit of tank health you get from that. Extra ammo, now, yeah, that's more useful on foot... but it's useless in a tank.

Hitting the side of an enemy tank that's already weak can cut the damage you need to do to them to a tiny fraction of what it would've been otherwise, and can prevent them from escaping... the extra armor skill only gives you a tiny sliver, unlikely to make a difference in most cases.

It's also a kind of a defining skill for the gren's main role.

Building health detection, now, I'd kind of prefer giving to everyone. It's obviously very useful to the roles of both grens and engineers, and it's not like it's out-of-theme for scouts, though they'd get less use from it outside of a tank.

Also, I don't see structure-killing as a particularly heavy grenadier theme... it's a skill that would be useful to anyone in a tank, and not particularly more useful to grens than engineers on foot, so I'd suggest just making it available to all classes.

For a gren-specific skill, I'd still prefer to see some form of heat-detection or ammo-detection for enemy tanks (maybe as part of armor detection.) I could see those being useful now and then.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010