My take on the mod

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by rampantandroid, Aug 18, 2006.

1. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Wait...the GAME requires teamplay to win. If you want things to not need other people to work, then lets introduce bots that the commander can order to do things....

or better yet make buildings build themselves. Its a GAME based on teamwork. Making the arty require teamwork only makes sense. I'm tired of Arty being the deciding factor in a game.

As for rocket sniping - oh well. What do you think stuff like the Bazooka is? Or better yet, what is the Javelin missle?

2. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

do you know what I mean by rocket sniping?

firing a rocket that will procede in a very accurate fashion to hit a very far away static target, one which has no chance to defend itself or otherwise avoid being hit, and at a distance where retaliation is nigh impossible.

is this tactical? is this what bazookas can do- shoot 1000 m at perfect accuracy?

personally, I would increase the inaccuracy of the rocket, so it's good enough at close range, but at long range it is unlikely to hit. oh, and rockets should run out of boost.

3. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Says the scout(and perhaps even an arty)whore(this is a partial joke by the way)... :rolleyes: Seriously arties should be grenadier food. Engineers and their walls are already in game if you're scared of one or two rockets fired from a distance. Those things barely damage anything, you need what- five or six hits to the same side of an AFV to drop it... that gives anyone well enough time to ram a cannon shell deep up to your arse. :rolleyes: Also the rockets fly damn slowly sometimes you miss at close even when you've taken a lot of lead. And grenadiers can't carry much ammo even with the ammo upgrade anyway so why should we nerf them and let arties roam even more freely? :confused:

4. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

Holy crap, so much point in the last point you could stab an army down with it.

I'm going to get my "Enforce the Grenadier" sign out for this one!

5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

it's really hard for me to show to everyone how my arty / grenadier ideas will balance out, because each little bit of the overall idea is just about in seperate threads. so basically, in my world, they would be changed but not nerfed overall.

Artilliary:
    -Low Area Of Effect, but accurate: this means that they cannot carpet an area, such as a base, destroying all men and vehicles trying to exit, but they would still- with skill and precision - be effective against anything you delibirately target. By accurate, I would also include a new system of sorts, because I don't like the way that you have to use the engine just to shift the turret a little, and the way you have to look into the sky to fire at your target.
    -Long range; they would be much further ranged.
    -Possibly deployable: if grenadier changes + long range was implemented, then i think deployable would be fine.

Grenadier
    -Slight ammo increase: I think it's a bit unfair on any gren without the ammo upgrade to be so limited so much in the amount of rockets and mortar rounds they can fire. I would up each of those by 2. Then, the ammo upgrade would increase each by a further 2, because currently even ammo upgrade runs out fast when you're deep in warefare.
    -20% faster rockets
    -slight inaccuracy, making ranged shots much harder. perhaps, accuracy could be gained by being in crouched / prone position for 5 - 10 seconds.
    -rockets run out of booooooost !11111.
    -better guidance.

currently, rockets are the poor mans tool, for people ineffective at using the mortar. furthermore, it can be hard to hit fast moving vehicles with it, which is what this would change.

---
    so, these would balence out, right? and make the game better?

6. bossekille

bossekille Member

its true. the game is about artillery and who builds them first. tactics isnt part of the feild when the opposition got the artillery. then you are all just cannon fodder running around waiting to die.
    it could be a much more fun and better game if they made the artillery a feild gun that was deployed, or very slow tanks. and boost the armor damage for the rockets. perhaps tank mines and such.
    no matter how many diffrent styles we and i tried, its allways about who gets the tanks and artillery first. then its over. only map when infantery and tactics can show off is District 402 .
    on other maps its just scouts and engineers that outshines in the beginning, then tanks and artillery then its over.
    cant figure out any way to dominate and succed with infantery vs tank and artillery. perhaps if there was more places to sit and hide with grenadiers.
    but its mostly open feilds for the cavalry to conquer in.
    if there where more objects, like rocks,trees and buildings. then perhaps.

so its basicly a tank game, and engineers. you can skip the rest of the trades on the other maps then the district.
    sad really becouse it seemed like a great game for tactics.but the tactics are the same.

-who gets the tanks/artillery first wins the game.

7. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

it would be better, if the artilleries donĀ“t have high damage against infantry!

8. Dafleck

Dafleck Member

I disagree, Lollum.
    I think the damage against infantry is fair at the moment. The splash damage to armor, on the other hand, really does suck. Tanks (afaik) are the only real defence against arty, however, at the moment when shells are raining down on your base, its incredibly hard to get a tank out of the vf before it gets turned into a pile of ash.

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

for deploying arty, one idea that heard being tossed around was for binding the cannon to seat 2, and mabey giving putting a standard rotating turret. this way 1 man could fire it by himself, and if he had to move fast he could hop into seat 1 and go, but with teamwork it could be moved and fired at the same time.

10. Inflames007

Inflames007 Member

This might sound complicated, but this is my idea:
    Add a degree system to the arty aiming and to the scout binoculars/spotting fuction, so each time a scout spots something, it shows the arty the direct location of the object. This way we will stop blined shell spamming.
    The splash damage will have to be drasticly lowered tho.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what if arty were powerful like they are now, with a bit more range, but could ONLY fire on scout targets. ??

@ bosekiller- i really disagree. though arty atm are very powerful, you need rifleman and scouts to kill / defend your engineers and grenadiers, and the game becomes a complicated team game where classes rely on one another.

I've played games where neither team researched arty, and it was brilliant.

12. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

the game sin which neither team gets arty are usually the best ones.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

i do agree. the game is only "lengthened" because when you're back's against the wall in your base, you actually have a chance to break out and survive.

14. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Yeah...every time I see a good game brewing, with some good tank battles, as well as some interesting ninja runs and infantry battles...suddenly I hear over the VOIP either "They have arty" or "We have arty" and suddeny...those tank battles go poof....and the game becomes either a stalemate (if both sides get arty at the same time) or very much one sided. These games usually end in one team being totally owned, or a ninja getting the enemy CV right before his own CV is destroyed (those are always funny...)

Uhm...make the arty very much slower? And more vulnerable?

15. picard131

picard131 Member

Now there's an idea. We would have to nerf the scout rifle, though, or everyone would go Scout.

16. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

Does anyone have a complaint about the autobalance mechanism? It seems like that could be an easy fix.

17. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

smart autobalancing like cs servers XD
    , or would it not work on a non-round based game?

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

given that there are only, possibly, 15 rounds player per day with any respectable amount of players. let's say one round per map per day, you're going to have some rather empty stats. though i guess after a couple of weeks it would work out.

19. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I mean like if one side has a team of pure pwnage players, and the other team has a ratio of like 1-30 kill/deaths, than it would swicth some players around XD

20. Bisclaveret

Bisclaveret Member

That sounds superficially similar to how artillery works in the Point of Existance BF2 mod (something I enjoy away from empmod)

In PoE2, artillery isn't commander-driven, it's a large artillery tank. There are positions, a driver and a gunner. The gunner CAN blind-shoot, but it's only effective against closing targets and has a horrible recoil and refire, and theres no telling where the shell lands otherwise.

What you do is: 2 kits have binoculars and a radio, the assualt kit and the special forces kit. You sneak around to an enemy base or armor column, take your binocs out and spot the location. You then bring up your radio and call in.

This calls a sattelite in orbit to point at the location of your spot and gives the gunner a top-down view of the location in a tv view (somewhat adjustable, it works like the TV-guided missiles) and an artillery decal on the map and 3d-map. The gunner can then adjust his sights similar to the way we do with the grenadier skill, and watch where he shoots through the TV to adjust his sights. The sattelite view only works for iirc 1 minutes, whence they need to re-spot, and there can only be one spot active at a time.

here is a video demonstration of what i'm talking about