My NF rax let me show u it.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chris0132', May 13, 2009.

1. RKB53

RKB53 Member

I would say remake the roof so its got metal and small windows a bit like the be rax

and give it some furniture like the be rax

and it will be simply win

2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

What part of 'It's transparent so you can see the inside' is not obvious?

THE ROOF IS METAL, IT NEVER STOPPED BEING METAL.

3. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Out of curiousity, did the Jekotians trade Acrylic Glass to hold a tank of whales on a starship from the distant future in exchange for the Transparent Aluminum technology?

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yes, and they also researched fission engines so they could build their nuclear wessels.

I don't suppose there's any way to spawn ladders on buildings is there? Because it looks silly if I put catwalks all over it to allow roof access, but a ladder section fits perfectly between the small pipes.

Edit:

Ok I modified it to allow roof access, once I heap some sandbags around it it should look less repetative.

[​IMG]

The little box next to it is roughly the size of a player, I think, although it might be a bit too tall.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  5. Lumi

Lumi Member

Jumping over those pipes on the roof may be a little... difficult.

6. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

THAT LOOKS SO AWESOME, but don't make it wider then the current rax, because some maps might have to get changed for a wider model.

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

It isn't much wider, and I removed the large box on one side in favour of moving the lift section further in, so it will be possibly a little thinner than the BE rax and also slightly lopsided.

The pipes on the roof shouldn't be hard to navigate.

All I need to do now is polish it up, try out a few exterior styles to make it a bit less repetative, and make some bloody LODs, which is a pain, but neccesary.

8. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Nah they're fine

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I put some blast windows on it, the kind with slats which can rotate to cover the whole window, a bit like automatic blinds.

Would you prefer I collide individual slats so you can shoot through the gaps, or should it be a solid block? It'd be very hard to shoot into from a distance bear in mind.

10. SirSnipes

SirSnipes Member

actually surprised by this chris

11. Demented

Demented Member

Better optimization means less collision models. So either no slats, completely closed slats, or very few slats (2 or 3 per window).

Half-open slats, angled slightly downwards towards the outside, would be good for blocking cannon shells.

Also, some way for the commander to tell which direction is forward would be nice. =P

12. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Yeah I know about optimisation but I quite easily compiled a 250+ hull geodesic dome as my first attempt and it loaded fine, ran fine, no complaints, it was a static model so it would be cheaper but considering the pivotal role buildings play in empires I think they can be made a little more expensive. There are also windows like that with full collisions in the base files and I loaded half a dozen of them up in a version of king as dynamic props and they also worked fine.

I already have them half open and angled downward, I'll compile it ingame and get some screens.

Also players will be spawning sideways in all probability, that is to say, not facing either door, but facing across the barracks.

pictars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior's a bit bare but I don't want to clutter it because it only causes problems.

I'll be cramming the bits under the netting with crates and things to make it looks like a small supply dump for the rax, the camo net actually came out quite well.

Alternatively, I could make the areas under the netting the exits to the rax, but they would both be on one side (although spaced out) I don't know if this is a problem for you, your thoughts are welcomed.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  13. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Add some beds on one side.
    Also connect the floor a bit better to the walls, to textures facing each other in 90° looks a bit boring.

Edit: also stay online in irc.

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I have used IRC a total of three times in my entire life, why do you need me to use it now?

15. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

looks nice.. but will it be more laggy in it then the current one? I think it would be nice to make being in buildings less laggy more then a better appearance.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Define 'laggy'.

It's probably more performance intensive than the existing ones, but if you have that crap of a computer I couldn't care less, I'm not making it look fuck ugly just because some people have shit computers.

17. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I dunno how to define it, the game is just always choppy in the rax for me. Maybe its my specs but I know I've heard others complain. Can you make it look crappy if the details and other video setting are turned down so it wont be that way?

18. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

That's the lack of lag prediction for physically simulated objects, no amount of crappy modelling will fix that.

19. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

oh ok.. looks good though I thought it would be interesting to have some sand bags on the roof or somthing for cover. For like engineers to repair on top and rifles to shoot over the little engy unbuilt wall sized cover.

20. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

For the beds, I think having stowaway ones would be good. Have them folded up towards the ceiling in the corners.