My NF rax let me show u it.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chris0132', May 13, 2009.

1. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

They aren't windows, I made the roof semitransparent so you can see the pipes inside.

2. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I'm really digging this. It looks like something a mobile army would deploy.

Personally, I think the pipes are unnecessary but hey, it's Empires, and they look pretty cool.

VF in the same style next please?

3. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Once the rax is finished sure.

Although I kind of want to redo the armory into an ammo dump/foxhole.

4. Lumi

Lumi Member

So the armory is going to have the feel of a bunker somewhat?

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Well not quite a bunker, you don't sit in it and fire out of tiny holes.

But I was thinking of giving it an actual defensive use, at the moment I drop armories to support attacking troops, they fight well from them and it basically gives them cover and and ammo/health supply to let them keep fighting, and survive as long as they don't get completely overwhelmed.

I figure that making the armory into a rough circle of barricades and sandbags or something like that would improve the feel of it, and allow it to function better in that role.

Of course I would have to actually figure out how to do sandbags, because currently I really don't know how to approach the task. I'd want to make them all one mesh because it's a continuous almost organic structure, but the texture would also need to be seamless and that's hard to do for something which isn't going to be symmetrical and has three 'sides' as it were.

I did try for an easier thing, such as hesco bastions but they don't really look right, they only work in straight lines so I'd have to make the armory square or pentagon shaped, which means making it quite big.

I might have to play around with the procedural textures and bake it into an image, then run it through some photoshop filters.

If anyone knows how to model sandbags do tell.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. Jackman

Jackman Member

You can make really cheap ones (poly-wise) if you take a a solid block and grab a stacked-sandbag texture and apply it. Unwrap the texture and bring it into a touch up program (Photoshop works, I guess) and use a sample from your sandbag texture on say 30% alpha and brush it over seams, where appropriate. Then Then find a decent normal map for a sandbag, or make one out of your texture. Overlay it properly. Voila, good sandbags.

Checkout what this guy did:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-sandbags-polys/354698

They could be better, but it gets the job done, y'know?

7. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Actually...

If I just make a burlap sacking texture, then model some sandbags I can just render some AO and the base texture/normal map from that.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

much better, perhaps add some metal floor with hatches on at one side to make it seem more like the top of a big bunker like you said? perhaps a basement hatch not openable?

[​IMG]

9. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Already added a set of panels to the other side to make a sort of annex, going to install some blast doors in the floor tomorrow.

10. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I don't really like it D:
    looks like its about to collapse on itself

11. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I think that's kind of the point. The NF are supposed to have a hastily-assembled shabbiness to their bases.

12. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Then it should last 1 seismic grenade

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

hasty assembled but sturdy in construction

14. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Nice work Chris, and nice use of stock NF textures! The only issue I have is that it seems quite... well, I don't know maybe the entrances need a bit more polishing?

15. Lumi

Lumi Member

He said he's adding blast doors in the future.

Suggestion:
    Make steam seep from the hatch in the floor.

16. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I was going to put steam coming out of the vents rather than inside the building, it's easier to have it come from a round thing than a complex shape.

17. Lumi

Lumi Member

To go with the whole "underground bunker" thing, I'd suggest small vents in the floor.

18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

no steam IN the building plz, steam IN the building could be useful for a rifleman with heavy machinegun to camp the rac or w/e

19. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

When I mean 'funny" I mean if you take close look at the NF buildings, in terms of style, the doors' sides are slanted inward, and there's a ramp instead of stairs.

20. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i like the new design but some suggestions: make it not front - back symmetric, at least in how it looks, so coms can tell which way ppl spawn out of it (then for balance change the BE rax to the same thing when you get around to it) and make a way for ppl to get to the roof or remove it from the BE one.

i do love the web of pipes though.