My NF rax let me show u it.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Chris0132', May 13, 2009.

1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Turn off specular and bump maps, that will fix it for you

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

place at least 2 walls inside the building so enemy cant shot through the whole thing

3. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

The doors have to be wider.

Number one thing in any barracks is that it can be easily entered and exited. I'd prefer 2,1 player models wide door so you don't have to move yourself exactly at the other edge of the door to let others pass you.

4. Omneh

Omneh Member

I don't think the 2.2x smoke effects help fps either. D:

Also, fucking awesome stuff chris. I do agree that the doors need widening though.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I'm replacing the doors, I'm going to put the exits where the camo netting is, and then put a barricade over one side so the exit is a sort of L bend.

6. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ok so after a day of trying and failing to make a sandbag texture, I decided to go the logical route of constructing an actual 300 thousand polygon sandbag wall in 3ds max and taking a render of it.

[​IMG]

I think it came out alright, it looks like sandbags at least, but I could do with some more polies on the model, but as the rax is now 14k polies I should probably try to cut back. don't worry though I can still cut the LODs down hugely so there shouldn't be much lag at a distance.

7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

Ok guy's before you say mean things about the bags. Chris is partialy color blind.

Chris those bags are more green then a golf course.

8. Etep_ScUD

Etep_ScUD Member

Ah. I see. Yeah. I really like where it's going however.

9. Demented

Demented Member

Well, I wouldn't say a golf course, but they've definitely been tainted with chlorella.

They also look rather drab without a masterful normal map. If you're not sure whether you're going to do that, finding some other sort of barricade might be a preferable option. (As a newbie pointed out in a game the other day, there's a heckuva lot of concrete in Empires. Hint hint.)

10. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i like how this is coming along, but please dont put both exits on the same side. maps were made with the current raxes in mind so making a new one with lopsided exits, instead of the one in the mid of each side, could have unforeseeable consequences.

11. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Maybe a few smaller pipes in place, the usual crate fuckery but placed so you can get on top, like the BE rax.

12. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Also make it easier to see which exit leads which way. I still end up going out the wrong way out of a rax and waste some seconds.

13. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^any asymmetry will give that to you

14. Lumi

Lumi Member

Personally, I don't like the look of the sandbags and it has nothing to do with the color. None of the NF buildings have sandbags and it just looks out of place, but I have no problem with the netting.

A good alternative to the bags (visually and performance-wise) would be a block of concrete.

15. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

So Far..

16. Lumi

Lumi Member

But for the time being, a concrete block would match the theme much more as all the buildings use concrete. Unless reskins and remodels are done to a lot of the buildings, sandbags on the barracks would be an outlier.

17. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Functionally the exits come out of either end of the building, there's nothing stopping you placing these raxes like an existing rax, the only difference is that you can place them in other ways as well if you want.

There are windows inside, so you should be able to tell which way you're facing and as both exits face the same way, you just have to remember whether the stairs are to the left or right of the entrance you want.

As I plan to rapidly create an armory using a lot of sandbags next, two NF buildings will then have them.

I know the sandbags are green, I haven't bothered to recolour them yet.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  18. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

how does it feel to be colorblind?

19. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

I experience extreme pain in my temples when I look at anything which is more than 40% saturated and more than 50 units of hue away from this colour for more than two minutes, as such browsing the empires forums with its blue colour scheme is difficult for me.

20. Jessiah

Jessiah Member