(More *yawn*) questions about aircraft

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by PJB, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Revolver

Revolver Member

Question, legitimate as well.

There's a fighter that excels in air-to-air combat, transport for hauling armor/troops, and a bomber.

Will we have anything that will be able to strafe infantry? Perhaps a particular configuration for the fighter that'll allow it to mount chainguns?

2. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

they should make maps that are mainly used for aircraft fights

3. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I think they should just expand the maps with features that would allow aircraft a piloting challenge. Example: They need to make the electrical towers and power lines on emp_canyon more solid and that would be great to dodge around.

4. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

If we cant hit them with bullets, than we need SAM sites, because we cant speed up the missiles fast enuf to hit the planes, cuz it will be unfair to ground vehicles.

wait, are they gonna lift off like a runway, or are they gonna pull a hover launch.
    how fast will they go? and will missiles lock on to ground vehicles, or will they be dumb until u research homing missiles?

i dont think that there should be stuff to dodge around, cuz with the lag on some servers u will go from flying around->lag->exploded.

and the grenadier should have an unlock that lets them use "stinger" missiles.

and finally, i think that all fixes to everything that they want to fix should be included in 1.08, because id rather wait and get a polished patch than getting buggy airplanes that look like shit and pwn all because the team wanted to get planes out fast.

</rant>
    (sry for typos, this isnt my computer and the keys are hard to push and they stick)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  5. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

Our planes cant look like shit, we made them, thus they will be magnificant.

Planes will take off from a standstill ala VTOL.

There will be a ground attack plane. I finished modeling it today.

6. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

*cries* i love this mod team

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  7. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

I think you meant "Love", quackums.

And isn't all this already posted elsewhere?

8. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

As far as obstacles, I was thinking of allowing different cloud formations:

electrical storm - chance of flying through and getting struck by lightning, momentarily shutting down your plane's electrical systems

ice storm - controls become less responsive as they freeze as you fly through and then have to melt after coming out to regain control, cockpit view also freezes over slightly

rain storm - heavy rains obscure view around and below it

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Where are the screenshots?! ;P

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

DonMegel, you know better than to tell us there's new content.

Now you'll get mobbed worse than if Princess Diana came back from the dead.

11. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

yea, the games models are purty, cant deny that.

do u guys have an animator? cuz u desperatly needa redo the anims, if your not doing it yet. gahhh the melee anims gimme headaches.

12. Revolver

Revolver Member

<3 DonMegel for modeling!

As for weather, that sounds really cool. But I think it should affect more than just aircraft. An icestorm should put ice on the ground, no? And there's nothing better than the wonderful Disney show, Light Tanks on Ice.

Electical and all that should have a chance to hit the tanks that travel below it as well.

13. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Clouds - OK but don't make them lower the fps like the traditional smoke spam.

14. Halious

Halious Member

I suggest...
    [​IMG]

-Instead of fuel, vehicles are armed lightly: after only a pass or two from the bomber, he'd have to land. Fighters have the most ammo, but it is only for other aircraft, making it so they are meant to attack enemy and protect their own bombers and transports (both of which cannot defend themselves against fighters).

-A landing platform should rearm fighters' missiles while they do a fly-by, but bombers will have to land to get their nukes and bunker busters back.

-Only passengers in the back of the Transport have "parachutes" and can drop in from a great height, so no pilots in any aircraft can bail out to scrap the jet or try to survive when the jet is hit.

-Instead of interference or loss of consciousness:
    --Planes turn slower at higher altitudes
    --Turning too long causes the aircraft to stall.
    Chance of stalling could be shown using the same heat meter the tank shells use; the meter will go up the longer and harder you turn without giving it a rest. And too much, the stall will simply cause the jet to tilt downwards and plummet.

Putting these two together, planes flying high won't be able to turn evasively and planes down low that turn too much won't have enough time to get out of the stall before they crash.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  15. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

the only problem with weather, really, is it will chew up cpu power like fresh scallops. other than that, weather would be sick, especially with firestorms. :D :D :D

16. CobraA1

CobraA1 Member

That depends, I suppose, on how they implement the various effects.

17. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

if all planes can do vtol - can they all hovar daftly (with or without flapping) ?

can you give a rough idea of the costs of each? was mootant guessing (i thought those values were rather high unless the planes are overpowered and horrid and nasty etc)? I still favour the idea of a cheap easy to kill plane (possibly as well as expensive bombers)

which one is hitscan for shooting? is it the point shoot and insta hit? that would make me confused by your answer as i thought that was currently used.

if they can all do odd hovar things, can you take a fast fighter and land it on top of a bomber causing all sorts of problems for that pilot? (assuming normal aircraft rules will be up the creek with no pajamas)

oh and Halious, do you really prefer missiles that much to proper guns? if it gets to be - see aircraft on horizon, hit fire to send of homing missiles, kill plane, get hit by homing missiles and die then it'll be silly, wouldnt having the occasional dogfight be rather jolly?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  18. Halious

Halious Member

"do you really prefer missiles that much to proper guns?"

I considered different types of missiles and functions for the research. I didn't mention guns since they're just guns, and the only research could be for higher damage. I'm sure fighters and bombers will have machineguns, but guns on modern planes are practically sidearms and used in absence of missiles.

I believe that transports and bombers should have little or no means of anti-air, and instead require fighters to protect them. Anything more than a gun turret on transports and machineguns on bombers would turn sky battles into what ground battles are right now (that being a rush to build artillery, heavy tanks and nukes).

By giving fighters the advantage in the sky, bombers won't turn into artillery and baserape the moment it is researched.

Also, yes.

19. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

Halious, MG's already have a wide array of researches. In fact, they have the msot types out of ANY weapon. You got the standard MG, chainguns medium changuns, Armor piercing MG's, .50 cal heavy MG's, bio MG's, 2-slotter and 3-slotter Depleted Uranium MGs... must I continue?

20. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

wheres the pimped out grenade launchers?
    and DAMN someone needs to nerf the scout rifle.
    w00t for offtopic!