(More *yawn*) questions about aircraft

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by PJB, Jul 26, 2006.

1. PJB

PJB Member

i just have a few of questions about the future aircraft.
    Firstly, will they be multi-seaters, because one thing i loved about BF2 was the way good co-operation in an attack helicopter would own everything, but none would be near instant death.
    Secondly, will they be upgradable like tanks currently are? or constantly the same with prehaps differing armour?
    Finaly what clases of aircraft are planned for?

i'm sorry if i'm asking question that have allready be assed, but i'm too tired to search though the bizzilion aircraft threads.

2. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Types:

Fighter - single seat, mainly air-to-air
    Bomber - two seater, drops bombs
    Ground Attack - two seater, can hover for long periods of time, assault ground forces
    Dropship - multi-seater

Aircraft will be customized and purchases similarly to vehicles. Armor on an aircraft will consist of choosing armor levels on four separate sections of the aircraft (cockpit, engine, left wing, right wing). This screen could also be turned into an overall defensive capabilities of the aircraft: choose countermeasures, radar jammers, etc.

3. 2TM

2TM Banned

Can you make them have gas so there forced to land after like 10 min or something?!
    Also krenzo, Can you make the pilot, for the bomber and ground attack, Able to just to fly. So there forced to have a Co- Pilot, to attack. Also That will make it have more stratagy I Think.
    Can you paracute out of the dropship? That Would Be SO COOL!, or make it hover and you float down slow on a rope...
    Also can this be the screen the pilot and co pilot have?
    [​IMG]
    Something like that at least...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  4. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Well I persoanly wouldn't want there to be fuel. After all tanks don't use fuel currently and it would add an annoyance to vehicals (Yet another on top of unrealistic recoil, poor uphill climbing, etc.) Anyway back on topic... I do think that having multiple seats would be better such as the bomber having a pilot and the other dropping the bombs, as this does indeed add to team work and the overall fun factor. Anyway thats my two cents.

5. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Well, needing multiple people to make an aircraft useful does force teamwork, but I still don't think it's a good idea. What happens if there arne't that many people on the server? I think one person should be able to use all the planes.

I do think that two pilots should make the job easier and more effective. FOr Example: single-pilot bombers should be able to drop bombs, but if there's a bombadier, the job should be easier and more accurate. As in, the bombadier can see the battlefield and use the bomb sights. Stuff like that.

6. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Hmm... good point. I suppose a good comprimise would be to have all planes work with only one pilot but a second pilot would have control of a defencive additional gun. Say perhaps a anti-inf machine gun? Of course you idea of making the weapons more accurate is a good idea as well but... How would you switch control of the weapons to the second pilot? Never mind... With Krenzo all things are possible :D

7. PJB

PJB Member

just after making this post i was in a game where the commander reaserched salvo standard missles...
    and in the midst of spamming three tanks to death with said missles... i had a thought...
    the ground attack aircraft... if it had say.. 8 missle boxes it could hold 4 salvo missles and be the ultimate weapon of totalitarian domination!
    will the aircraft have stuff like that? or just be flying tanks?

8. PJB

PJB Member

another thought, what kind of bombs will be availible?

9. katana9000

katana9000 Member

Probally bombs ranging from small to large? Though it would be interesting to have ones like Bio bombs and even Hydrogen Bombs (aka Super Annihilation Bombs of Death)

10. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Heh.

Nuke bombs.

Heh.

Ownage.

11. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

how hard will it be to kill planes? if they have armour will they have much? I've never shot at a plane (or much else) suprisingly enough but I imagine that they're really quite easy to break, even with a rifle of sorts (the problem there being more one of hitting it). Bombers being heavier than fighters might have decentish armour but will there be cheap and fast fighters that could be killed quite easily if unlucky/silly (e.g. going in low over nice level ground where 10 rifle men with heavy rifles are, i imagine that they'd have a decent chance of killing a plane but if its a case of "plane has amrour therefore bullets dont work" then they wouldnt)?

12. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Hopefully a little harder than a jeep with good armor.

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Planes ARE vulnerable to regular small arms fire, but they're usually moving way too fast to hit.

14. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

that being my point, will it be like that (unless you chose to weigh your plane down with lots of armour/really expensive stuff(eg composite)) or will the lightest thing be still jeep like?

tho interestingly enough I've not sat shooting at a jeep for very long, i assume that they're hard to kill with a normal gun?

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Small arms won't be able to damage aircraft in this mod because the bullets hit instantly, making it too hard.

it's set in the future, so they can probably defend themselves against the bullets anyway.
    ------------------

and please don't make everything usable as a one seater, like the bomber

oh, and don't make it possible to change seats while you are in the air.

16. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

nuts, thats a really good point. umm, i suppose non instant bullets that have gravity etc arent likely to happen?

17. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Aircraft won't have hit scan bullets.

18. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

How exactly are the planes going to fly? Are they going to use something similar to the null-gravity way the manhacks and scanners in HL2 fly and have gravity increased the slower you go? (e.g: when you're flying at a decent speed, gravity for the plane is set to 0. But when you fly too slow, the gravity variable slowly climbs?

Or are you going to use the complex way where you incorporate lift, drag, thrust, and the like into them so that they're more realistic but much harder to make and suck up more CPU?

19. BDNeon

BDNeon Member

Something I'm wondering about aircraft is, how big of a chunk are they going to consume resource wise? We talking like twice as expensive as standard armor costs?

20. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Good:
    Fighter - 4000
    Transport - 2000
    Tank Killer - 3000 - 4000
    Bomber - 5000

Should be enough.