ModDB End of Year Awards

Discussion in 'General' started by Krenzo, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

ModDB is getting ready to start their end of the year awards, and they said we should have a trailer ready to go for them to advertise the mod. That's great considering many people on here have made trailers since the first release. This thread is for everyone who has made a trailer to link to it here so that we can all decide on which trailer to use in promoting Empires for ModDB's awards.

2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Maybe another push for a unified trailer is in order as well? on top of the ones already made?

(Can never have enough Media...)

3. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Hmm, I still have some demos. If anyone's interested I can probably put those up.

4. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  5. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

It's grainy, cheesy and not amazinly professional..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkydsjMU9oM

...but it's my personal favorite :D

there are some nice scenes in it, especially the final base destruction where the guy is running forward, with tanks overtaking him etc. I love it!

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

haha i was there when pjb made this movie,, i was an actor on the enemy team

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Great idea. I'd love it if you used my video. Keep in mind that it was all shot on the BSID servers during real gameplay, with no acting required. Although some of the sounds are custom, and all are dubbed.

The downside is, it doesn't tell you much about the back-story, and there's no footage of commander mode (which is half the mod really).

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

love that video, Broccoli.
    Why dont you make another one from live footage of the ERPG match. get some more tank battles going on (dont forget to put some of the more awesome tanks in the shot :D)

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yeah, it'd be great to see some really organised play (no offence to BSID lol, I mean that I only filmed in pub games). I've yet to get fraps recording sound properly, but if I can sort that out then it'll be all good.

11. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

We could have footage of me trying my hardest in tank combat, and have a caption saying "No vehicle-heavy game this player has played since Tribes has performed this well. Bravo."

Nah. People don't need to see me missing by two miles :-P

ARTY HUMPING CONTEST!

12. Silk

Silk Mapper

If it's for something like this, which probably a lot of people will see, I really believe that someone should make a really fantastic trailer. The one broccoli made is good, now we need him or someone else to make something like that but with more scenes. Almost everyone will have recorded something. Put them all together and use the best of them.

Every vehicle in empires should be seen at least once somewere in the trailer. It doesn't matter how long, just so that the people get to see how many options they have if they choose to download the mod.

Also show how a player chooses a skill, for at least a few seconds so that everyone knows there are a lot of ways to improve themselves ingame. Maybe show how someone asks permission to join a squad and gets accepted, and then uses the skill he earned.

The commander view must be seen a few times. Building, RESEARCHING (very important) and ordering troops to attack someone. A top down view is very nice to look at in a game like empires (like in the video from broccoli).

Offcourse teamwork is something everyone wants to see. Nice battles, tanks getting awesome kills and artillery with long range cannons shooting over a mountain and killing some very little, unlucky player thanks to artillery feedback. Avoiding rockets, machine gun bullets and mortars is very fun to watch. Especially when that person survives everything thrown at him, changes his weapon, and starts killing or destroying everyone and everything.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I agree, this would be absolutely awesome to watch, and a great advert for the mod. My last video was more of a teaser (I think it was only a minute long).

I've got sound working in fraps now (make sure voice_enable "0" is set in-game) so I'm ready to roll. I'll be collecting loads of footage in pub games over the next few days, and I'll drop in on the next ERPG match if that's allright with the organisers. I'll be making both high and low quality formats too, so one should be youtube-friendly.

Do people want to see a more first-person perspective this time round? The problem with recording comm is that I have to actually be the comm in order for it to show up. And I suck at comm, so it wouldn't make a very good impression lol :D

Oh, and is there a way to disable the in-game round start music? It really throws off an audio track. And speaking of music, what should I use? Will copyright be a problem for this, or is it okay in just a fan-made video?

I think more of a story-line is in order too, because Empires does have a fantastic universe. What kind of text would people want to see in there? "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." kind of stuff.

Also, any word on a deadline? I can't seem to find any mention on the site.

This is gonna be so awesome!

14. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

Depicting aspects of empires gameplay is the most important. I think you can turn the music off by turning down the music volume in the sound options.

Good luck on your filming Mr. Director.

15. Silk

Silk Mapper

Broccoli, maybe I can record a few scenes myself (not commander though, I suck at it).

I have fraps, but I've only used it for screenshots so far
    If you could use some of the things I recorded, do you prefer it to be recorded with the same settings as you do? Things like framerate or so. And do I have to put all performance setting in Empires as high as possible to attract more people or is that unnecessary?

:D BTW, however asked today if I were gay when a friend was playing for a while: NO
    The name Silk is from a character in a book: the belgariad.
    You can't believe how much trouble I get with that name. But i've used it since I got Internet a long time ago so I just can't change it anymore. I never really known what was wrong with it either, since I live in Belgium and I didn't know how gay silk can sound in English.

EDIT
    This will probably not work as good as I had hoped for. I can easily play the game with all settings on high, but once I'm recording ... fps drops like ... something ... that doesn't drop slowly. I'll be trying a few more times, but ....

A few problems:
    - It records for about 2 minutes => more than 800 MB.
    - I forgot to turn off the hud (minimap)
    - When I move in spectator it doesn't go smoothly. I've done what I could with mouse settings, but it isn't as nice to look at as I thought it would be. Standing still, suddenly moving around without steady speed, ...
    - I don't know which software you guys use for editing your records, and which settings are prefered (so the scenes in the trailer are (at least almost) the same quality.
    - and some other problems I thougt of but can't remember (hate that)

After a second try I've found at least one other problem:
    - How do you turn everything off? Text messages, minimap, messages from the server, that thing were you can see who killed who with what weapon, ....
    And these problems were worse than I thought:
    - 5.15 GB from 9 minutes recording :s
    - Whatever I do movememt of the camera isn't smooth at all

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  16. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

For music, you can try http://newgrounds.com/audio/

Even though you have to dig through alot of music; you can really find some good gems there; best part is that they are 100% free; just contact the author saying that his work will be featured; most guys there will really like any coverage they get...

17. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Usually, you take your footage, clip out sucky parts, and COMPRESS it with something. Having fraps set up to drop the recorded video resolution can help, too, as can dropping your screen resolution in-game (remember to restart the game if you do) so that you can keep some fps. Also, mat_bumpmap 0 (or whatever it is) is your friend. As is mat_specular. But those reduce visual quality some, so not really recommended for full-quality trailer stuff, unless you NEED the performance.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

That would be great if you want to Silk. I use 1024x768 at 30fps. Those should be the only settings you need.

As for the jerky spectator-cam, the only solution I've found so far is to lower mouse sensitivity to a rediculous amount, or do a lot of standing still.

Console commands for you camera-men out there:
    hud_deathnotice_time 0
    r_drawhud 0
    emp_map_toggle

Chat messages are handy to leave on, and I crop to widescreen so they don't show up in the final version anyway.

The software I use is sony vegas, but I'd really prefer to receive the clips uncompressed. This will probably be the major problem, because as you said, file sizes are huge. I already have nearly 20GB of footage from 2 rounds last night! The final version will be DivX, but I don't know any specific settings yet (that'll depend on how long the trailer is).

I'll check out that link for music, there has to be something good on there!

EDIT: My god, there's thousands! If anyone finds one they think would suit Empires, let me know by PM or in this thread. I'm not sure whether to go epic/classical, or electronic.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  19. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

You can always record a demo. I got that working awhile ago.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

True, true. You could record demos and send them to me for capture. There's a lot about it here, but I don't understand any of it tbh.

I've found one that I think is great (listen to the end, I can just picture the Empires logo exploding in). It's called "Winning The War", and it should be at the top of this page. It would appear I need a "gold" account in order to PM him, I hope I'm not going to have to pay anything.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006