Missile Launching Pad

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by newguy, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

This is beginning to look like Tower Defense.. All we need now is income based on how many times your infantry spawns :) .

2. newguy

newguy Member

I don't think that the missile should be able to be destroyed once fired. By being able to destroy the missile once fired the fear of the MLP is lessened as people will think, "rather than bothering to destroy the MLP we can just wait for the missile to be fired and destroy that." Knowing that the enemy has built an MLP and that there is a countdown until the missile is fired would result in sending everyone to go attack it, which imo would be awesome.

3. Vaun

Vaun Member

Hehe, or make it some super high cost Russian icbm with 6-8 MIRVs then demolish an enemy base!:p And they could build an Interceptor Launcher (costing half as much but still a lot) and having to be fired before the mirvs launch to try and hit the missile, or risk losing everything (and your super expensive AMS)

4. KILLX

KILLX Banned

learn to consider balance.

balance>*

5. Vaun

Vaun Member

Really that is the ballance, but the weapon is more for ending those long final holdout stalemates, like what happens on crossroads a lot.

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

ICBM's have enough power to completely level even a 16X scaled map, which would end the game instantly. Why? Because ICBM's are Nuclear-equipped missiles with the ability to hit any target on the planet, it would even be able to hit the moon if modified.

7. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Not ALL ICBM's are nukes. All an ICBM has to do to be called an 'ICBM' is go high enough to be at the edge of space. Because ICBM stands for 'Inter-Contanentel Balistic Missile'. What they do is go to the egde of the atmosphere and use gravity at an angle to hit their target.

So an ICBM does not have to be a nuke. Anyhow I was useing ICBM because its quick to type and everybody knows what im talking about ^^

8. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

ICBM's are generally used for the carrying of Nuclear warheads to its destination, only recently has the US used ICBM's with non-nuclear payloads, and they still require a launch facility, protective storage facility, launch control, and numerous other facilities, and you're not ever going to build one in the short time that you're playing a game in Empires.

9. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I really dont think its a good idea to implement a weapon that could attack
    a whole square of the minimap at once.

10. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

*Facepalm

You didnt read what I said. I said I used 'ICBM' as a term because its quick to type and everybody knows what I am saying.

Also we have said it will have limited range, and to balance it and stop a comm building one too close to main base and just 'first strikeing' you can build an anti-missle base. Its the best way to balance it. It works on ET quake wars fine. And also like I said both the missle base and the missle defence will take time to get too so there will be a race to get each first. But to stop comms just rushing to missle base and defence first they will have needed to recerch ceten things first like: Nukes, Aircraft...etc.

11. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

There aren't many other uses for ICBMs other than strategic targets, because anything smaller you just use a local cruise missile launcher or something.

The fact that everyone thinks you're talking about nukes suggests that they don't.

12. newguy

newguy Member

I've played many Empires games which have lasted at least 1 hour. That imo is long enough to build an MLP and upgrade to decent missiles. 5000 to 10000 resources needed and a radar. I have suggested this before: maybe the MLP has to be built within a specific radius of the radar. That way if you build one you are risking the chances of the MLP and the radar being destroyed. Also it limits the amount of space that the MLP can be placed in the map, therefore not making it very difficult to find.

13. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

Ive played many a game thats lasted over 2 hours. I mean I played 1 game on EMP_Money that lasted 4 hours the comm had reacherched everything, it was a stailmate lol ^^

14. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Money sort of doesn't count.

15. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yeah the clue with that one is in the name

16. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

So, its like an arty that cant move and can only use ER cannon? Pass, if I wanted it, I'd just spawn an arty without engines.

17. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

Bah, it should be a structure that does the same damage as the grenadier squad power artillery. Anything more powerful would be game-breaking for whoever has the most money. Say, make it a tank killer or something, not a building breaker.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I would say a little more damage than that -- as a tank killer it's going to completely suck, since tanks can just move out of the way when they get the notification where it's been fired.

I think doing it without that notification would be horrible, since then there would be no way to fight back against it. Absolutely, a notification that it was fired and where it was targeted is essential. I do not believe that 'seeing it constructed' can at all be considered a way to fight back against it... that just doesn't work. Maps are too big, and games are too fast. Players need to be able to react in some way after it's been launched for it to be fun, and having it hit just before a major attack should be debilitating but not fatal... having it hit when there's nobody attacking should be more or less a waste, so it has to be used intelligently and in combination with teamwork and a massed assault.

Letting it one-hit APCs, though, is probably fine. An APC can be moved to safety after the warning, after all... if a team tries to put an APC behind a wall and use it as a mobile replacement barracks + armory, there should be risks to that. Tanks that aren't moved should be heavily damaged, but it probably shouldn't do enough to kill heavily-armored heavies.

Oh, also... it should do friendly fire damage. Letting you drop it in the middle of your attack so the enemy has to retreat while your own troops rush fearlessly into the blast zone is silly. It should require coordination by the team, and some risk. (If you use it when your troops aren't anywhere nearby, the enemy can just repair the damage, and if you use it when they're too close, they might get hit, too.)

I think it should do enough damage, widely-spread enough to weaken several buildings and take out turret-farms, but not enough to take out major buildings in one hit. I would say at most slightly below 50% of max HP in damage to essential structures, since that would mean that even two missiles in succession or a hit on a sabotaged target wouldn't be enough to take out a building all by itself... That ensures the defenders have a chance to repair, especially if you prevent multiple missiles in the air at once. Also, heavily damaging or destroying walls might be nice.

It should be useful for weakening heavily-defended fortifications as a way of preventing standoffs, and should be reasonably-priced enough to let someone who is behind try it as a way of coming back if they aim it at a poorly-defended or already-sabotaged base, but it shouldn't be an "I win" button.

I also think that anti-air turrets should be able to easily and automatically shoot it down. This would force the comm to plan ahead when using it, and make it useful for taking out poorly-defended expansions, but less useful on a fortified main base.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  19. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

I dunno, I can do the same thing with an arty and HE, and I can move that sucker if someone shoots at it.

20. angry hillbilly

angry hillbilly Member

How about a missile traking radar that the comm can recerch and build. It could track the enemy missle and would tell people on the map where it is going to hit. Also there could be an expencive upgrade for it where it is able to shoot down missles within a certen range.

Both reacerhcs would be expencive and the second one would take the longist to reacherch eg 240sec (3min). This would be a balance to the missales. ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.