Map overhaul poll

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by Silk, Mar 9, 2014.

?

Which map would you prefer getting an overhaul?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2014.
  1. canyon

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. duststorm

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. isle

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. mvalley

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  5. slaughtered

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

There's something wrong with Isle? Tbh I always liked it but it works better with larger teams.

Also it kinda massively suffered from the current Empires environment the last time I played it - we would lose areas one after another, rather than managing to really defend them. And similarly with the opposite team.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I don't see Isle as being boring to be honest, though I'm sure there are ways to improve it (moreso than other maps).

3. 101010

101010 Member

Maybe add a bridge from NW to SE. With another hill top in middle.

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

isle is fucking pimp with new vehicles so far.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Has anyone actually seen those new vehicle scripts? I doubt they exist. :D

6. ViroMan

sparticus and lamer have because, they bothered to show up and try them out. I will probably be doing another live run tomorrow if not the next day.

7. Trickster

Problem with Isle is that people have the mentality that it's an open map, when in actual fact it's a chokepoint map. I don't feel like an extra patch in the North West will actually help much, I feel like it'll make it harder to push that direction. As it happens currently, if one team only has their starting main and the other has the rest of the high ground, you're still on relatively even grounds because there's only 2 entrances to the high ground for vehicles, in each starting main.

Ideally, low-ground bases should be more viable. Back when the starting bases were on the low ground, you saw bases there more frequently. I'd maybe look into lowering the amount of refineries on the high ground, or potentially increasing the res income of the low ground ones, making the low ground far more important. Moving some of the refineries in the middle around (i.e. the ones just off the cliff outside each starting main) into more covered areas could also make a difference.

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Why were the bases ever moved in the first place?

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

might be mixing me up with someone else

wealthy, its because people are too stupid to move their bases. the com would get pushed in the water, and it would be hilarious. moving the bases was part of the stupidification of the game

10. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Cuz as you didnt start with a base on the cliffs, it was easier for the enemy to build a base there, and when they did your base was buttfucked with little to no chance of destroying the enemies on the hill as the only way up to the cliff from your beach base is very easily blocked by walls.

And if I remember correctly, the usual strategy was just to recycle the starting barrack and place it on the hill.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Ah yes. Watering the comm on isle, how I miss that

12. ViroMan

Could be... someone had lamer in their name I thought it was you.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Would the middle ref benefit from being turned into a flag or summat? Isle has loads of refs and most of them really aren't very defensible, but the middle is just like an open invitation to lose things, and almost a waste of time building a ref. Would it be better if it was a quick flag instead, or maybe a raised bunker with a flag inside?

14. Trickster

I feel like maybe we can do something better with the South East of the map, or that area in general.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

no because everyone will always go to the middle flag. it will kill the map

16. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

from my perspective it is the least voted map on VIPER, so I was assuming most did not like it. I find the look of the map boring not so much the gameplay, but I was going by the popularity of it, I see certain maps voted over and over and they don't seem to get tired of them like canyon, slaughtered, crossroads etc. but Isle rarely wins a map vote.

17. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yeah, but give people the choice and they will vote for rainbowroad every single time. You can't trust Empires players EVER :P

18. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yeah what wealthy sais.

When players can vote for maps, new players will be gone very quickly. People wrongly assume they know what they want. It's quite hypocritical saying this, but most custom maps just scare away the new players, and some official maps get played so often that new players who do stick around for a few days get the feeling there's only 4 official maps and twice as much crapmaps.

I also agree with Vicky though that I think the main problem with Isle is not the layout, but the lack of detail and cover. Although Trickster is also right that it can be improved at places.

Currently on a mapping break again, but I might look into it next year or the year after.

19. ViroMan

How big is the isle and what are the map limits? Can the map be super sized up to limits?

Basically take the whole map and stretch it out. More space in the middle with more things. More beach space or at least extend the shelf area you can drive in the water. Make middle ref 2x flow so bitches be fighting over it.

20. Trickster

Most maps are sat at the limits. Like, nearly every big open map is sat at the maximum map size. I don't think size is Isle's problem anyway.