Make mines only place if you duck.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Cyber-Kun, Jan 2, 2009.

1. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

no, its fun and realism on one side and ppl who like unbalanced grens on the other. look, placing a min should not be "oh shit a tank is about to run me over" then drop 2-3 mines as quick as you can (which i do regularly and get kills from, but it still is a cheap trick), it should be "what is the best way to fortify this position before the enemy gets here"

i would even be for a 1-2 second wait time for deployment but i know im probably the only person who wants that so im not going to actually suggest it.

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

So no more mine-laying APCs? :)

I like it but it would be nice to have it balanced by some type of either defusal nerf or mine buff.

3. Bishop Gantry

Bishop Gantry Member

Theres just this little thing that rockets and mortar is fairly useless against tanks...

Its silly that running up to a tank and plant mines around it is the best method of destroying them, then theres scouts and riflemans with their stickies doing the same removing the purpouse of grenadiers...

4. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

well then, SHOULDN'T THEY HAVE MORE POWER instead of forcing players to place many many mines in one spot to reliably kill a tank...

oh wait, that's already true anyway

carry on

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about ducking to place, and increasing the blast radius not damage (as to prevent a guy walking over it to blow it up, now he would blow up/damage half his team)

6. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

and then MORE people will bitch at the poor emp_recruit that tries to pick up the cookie on the ground

7. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

bump.

I like this idea and we need more ideas for the mines.

8. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Yes, and make it so you have to duck to shoot, and crawl under tanks to repair them, and duck to get in the little CV door, and make it so you can't reload while running or jumping, or get out of a tank without coming to a stop first.

How much effect does the crouch requirement for firing a mortar have? None. It's purely annoying.

9. OuNin

OuNin Member

Yes, but mortar is a ranged weapon with a long reload. People typically bunnyhop behind cover and drop mines. As fun as it is, there's something not right about it.

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Ducking doesn't stop people shooting the mortar instantly, so I don't think it will help with mines.

11. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Just make the one second of mine laying animation force duck or require duck to finish.

12. OuNin

OuNin Member

Mines should drop instantly, but require activation from the user.

13. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

If what you want is to add time to deploying mines, why not just add time to the animation itself?

I don't understand why you want to anyway. In most maps there are no major passages that could be rendered impassable by the mines of one grenadier. It's also unlikely that a tank would be destroyed by the mines, or that all the mines would be detonated. During a tank rush, the field can't be replenished by the planter. Mines pack a punch, but are static and easy to avoid without defusal. A big field of mines is no worse than some missile turrets or a few grenadiers behind a wall, there is truly no reason to add wait time for their deployment.

14. OuNin

OuNin Member

It would take as long, but arming would require them to stop jumping the fuck around.

15. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

But I already think mines are too difficult to place most of the time for the rewards they give.

Dropping a minefield takes quite a while of just mashing the button and running around, which is hard enough to do under fire as it is.

Completely breaking the rest of the mine functionality solely because you don't like people dropping them in raxes is stupid, find another solution.

16. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

However this way you can buff the mine damage and make each mine more dangerous overall.
    It also looks better in game to have mines not randomly bouncing and it plays better than having someone rush around.

It is stupid to dislike reasons then not try think of any reasons it would be useful.

17. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I think a lot of this thread is in response to kamikaze grens, who run into a mass of infantry bunny hopping and dropping mines. This slows their advance and gets the gren a few points per death because one or more people is/are inevitable going to step on one or more of the mines.

With this suggestion, they'd have to stop bunny hopping for a second to crouch and place, making it a) more obvious where they dropped a mine and b) easier to hit.

While I don't think it's a particularly OP tactic, I can see how you'd want to counteract it.

18. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

While I think that this suggestion is good, the problem in the situation your described is the bunnyhopping, not the mines. Bunnyhopping is a horrible thing. It's ugly-looking, exploity-feeling, unintuitive secret-trick zero-skill bullshit. The game's design should smack it down with a big spiked bat so hard that nobody even thinks about it again.

It's trying to gain an advantage by exploiting the goofier parts of the game mechanics, without any real strategy, planning, or skill behind it. Suggestions to kill it dead:

* Significantly increase all damage players take while in the air. Doubling or tripling it would be a good start.

* Players should not be able to effectively fire any weapons while jumping or for a second or so after a jump, and should not be able to jump again for several seconds after a jump. Currently weapons that require aim suffer massive accuracy penalties... but dropped or tossed weapons don't. So those weapons should probably either be outright disallowed during or shortly after a jump.

* If you take damage while jumping, your stamina instantly drops to zero.

Seriously, nobody wants to see soldiers playing jumping jacks. It looks goofy. It feels goofy. It takes away from the importance of cover and positioning. It's just a bad thing. Kill it with fire and anyone who tries to abuse it.

19. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Woah, woah, WOAH, slow down there. Let's not make EVERY fight into a crouch and burst fest, leave some room for acrobatic combat please.

That said, bunnyhopping is a result of the buff to defense in combat due to the rifle nerf. In 2.12 the only thing that mattered was killing, the old adage that the best defense is offense was completely true, whoever could kill faster would win. In 2.2x however the more drawn out fighting has made defense much more important and alongside walls and higher ground, bunnyhopping is a form of defense that got buffed immensely. Rather than making infantry feel like you're playing an old man how about giving the rifleman a more deadly close range weapon. I can't help but feel the rifles are still overlapping too much in their roles. The assault rifles are a bit better at closer ranges and the ranged rifles a bit better at long ranges, but both groups are really too effective outside their assigned role. I would like to see something like this:

Assault rifles
    -Increase the rate of fire
    -Decrease maximum accuracy
    -Increase accuracy while standing and running

Heavy rifle
    -Increase magazine size

Carbine
    -Lower rate of fire

What this does is reduce the ability of assault rifles to fight at longer range while increasing their effectiveness at closer ranges where movement is important. This means a rifleman will have to really choose the ranges at which he'll be fighting and he'll need support from other riflemen if he engages in fights at longer or shorter ranges (yay teamwork).

So the ranged rifles get the best accuracy when managed, but also the worst accuracy when not managed, forced by enemies or otherwise. And the assault rifles have the most stable accuracy under all conditions.

20. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Problem is that you need 2 riflemans with more specific rifles to do the job of a single one in 2.23
    A team cant support to many riflemans.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009