Looking at Dawn of War

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cpugeek, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

£40! that's too much

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

40 dollars. That's like, 20 quid

3. Deiform

Deiform Member

I think my full set of DoW games comes next Friday. Then full Eldar ownage will be felt!

i seem to remember only losing to Tau because they could build like a million Krootox's at the time.

4. TheAllmightyMighty

TheAllmightyMighty Member

omg come on eldar suuuuuck big time!!!
    SPACE MARINES!!!!
    and necrons
    and tau^^
    i played all 3 parts but haven´t cared much yet for soulstorm , anyone already playing it ? if yes how is it ? ?

5. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Its meh. New races are good, haven't played the sisters, but air vehicles are meh. They're just like uber hover stuff, they dont act like air vehicles at all.

6. TheAllmightyMighty

TheAllmightyMighty Member

k then i definetly wont play it....
    also for order soritas fans check out the siste rmood for dark crusade it has extremly high detail and high resolution textures which almost lets it look like dawn of war 2

7. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

*grumbles something about Tyranids*

8. Gelnika

Gelnika Member

Yes DoW is indeed quite awesome, I've got all the expansions for it too :D

I'd like to participate in these match- ups if you guys are having any. You using hamachi?
    Tau's definetly my cup of tea, gotta love stealths and the Vespids. Orks fall in my second spot due to their awesome infantry :)
    What? Eldar are probly the best race for 1vs1's, mainly due to their ability to zoom through the battlefield and cap all the points before your opponent can :p . Also, webway gates are so made of win (so awesome to teleport your base to a remote location, such as rooftops on some maps). They're just veeery micro-intensive from what I've played with them.

PS: Necrons are lame.

9. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

I never liked playing as Marines, and completely hated the Necrons. I'd either go with Orks, or Tau.

10. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I still haven't really found a race that I prefer over all others. I got a little excited when i saw some of the eldar's special abilities, but their troops are too brittle for my tastes. It seems like the space marines and the chaos are practically the same, albeit with a couple minor differences. The tau also seem too much like the space marines, though with more emphasis on ranged combat in general. The orks are the ultimate clusterfuck race and i think thats pretty sweet, but i still don't completely understand their ork resource. The imperial guard are much different in that they play more defensively in general, but i don't like to turtle. The necrons are just ridiculous :-P

11. Deiform

Deiform Member

With a bit of micro you can dance eldar squads around the enemy and have them constantly rebuild the squads, making their mass numbers overwhelm the enemy.

I don't have very good micro though, so I just turtle up to fire prisms and use extreme firepower to win.

12. ^Dee^

so apparantly PC Gamer is going to unveil dawn of war 2 in their next issue.

13. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Why make a second one? This is the only series I've actually enjoyed the expansions and applauded them.

14. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

I wonder how many races are gonna be in the sequel. I can't imagine they would fit all 9 into one game. Though, i'd be willing to bet the tyranids make an appearance as a new race...

15. ^Dee^

Tyranids would be the only reason to. That and the current expansions only scratch the surface of warhammer 40k :P

16. sergeant mkoll

sergeant mkoll Member

I haven't played soulstorm but if its anything like the others it will be good...

17. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Mabye they'll go Supreme Commander or Rome Total War style and make the Epic series into a omputer game one day. If you don't know what that is, its Warhammer 40k, but soldiers are 6mm instead of 40mm. You control thousands of soldiers instead of one hundred, along with the superweapon massive vehicles that go with them.

*Regarding Tyranids... GOD I hope so. Dawn of War 2 is going to kick our faces in.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

I HOPE THEY DO SPACEHULK JUST LIKE SYSTEM SHOCK 2 WITH THE MULTIPLAYER MOD.

<caps>

Wasn't taking the piss btw, just really want to be a terminator.

19. ^Dee^

There's an old space hulk fps thingy but it's really slow and clumsy and stupidly complicated :P

20. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

The difference between Chaos and Marines is subtle to a person who isn't very familiar with each side. Chaos get Heavy Bolters almost right off the bat, and as such do very good in early game infantry rushes. However, their late game isn't very strong, even with their daemons. Space marines can do early game well, and excel at middle/end game. Play me some time and Ill show you =P