Looking at Dawn of War

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cpugeek, Mar 6, 2008.

1. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

So, I know that a bunch of people here play these games, and I was thinking of maybe buying the platinum pack (includes all three games). I want to know what you think of the games in terms of replayability. I'm a college student, so I wouldn't be playing this game a lot online (don't have the time to train up to that level), i'd mostly play singleplayer and maybe lan (if i can get my roommates off their asses). I've played company of heroes, and i think its a good game and i heard that DoW is very similar. What attracts me to the game is the universe its set in, the low price, and the fact that it actually would run on my laptop. So what do you guys think about the games? Should i buy them, buy something else, or just save my money?

2. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Buy it. If you like company of heroes, and you like the 40k universe, your going to like DoW. No question about it.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I think it's a great game, at least 40 non-grind hours in there

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Ive only played the game without the expansions but it was on of the most
    awesome rts ive every played.

5. KILLX

KILLX Banned

What sets it apart is the level of interaction. Its not your typical 1 unit one attack game. Any unit with a gun has both melee and ranged attacks. Some units have multiple melee attacks. Take the dreadnought, comes standard with a flame thrower, add a chaingun, it shoots shit. If shit gets close, it will do a variety of things, ranging from: hit them, grab them, hit them then grab them, hit them then grab them then spin them in circles with the claw, all of the above with the flame thrower going the whole time barbecuing the infantry grabbed, and topping it off by chucking them into a nearby lake.

6. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

I loved 40K as a kid, and I don't like the game. It doesn't feel dark and brutal and violent enough, it's too cartoony for me. But then I thought 40K in general went a bit kiddy friendly around '96. The voice acting is crap too. when the marines shout 'For the Emperor!' they sound bored rather than consumed with fanatical regilious zealotry. If it played like the intro movie, it would be a bit better :) (but why were they so desperate to plant that flag on that hill?? :P) And something about building troops on the battlefield is very un-40K to me. I always imagined a kind of Total War setup where you choose your troops before the battle.

I was real disappointed with Dawn of War.

<sob>

7. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

hendar any chance you got links to 40k themed literature?

8. Hendar23

Hendar23 Member

Erm no..haven't really followed 40K for years. I read all the Ian Watson novels though, there were very good. One follows three marines from recruitment, through suitably hardcore training, and into battle. A mini Epic. And there was a trilogy about an Inquisitor which started well but kind of wandered off the plot by the end. I heard a net rumor that Ian Watson was clinically insane and institutionalized by the time he wrote the last book , which would explain a lot!

9. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

So i ended up buying the game. Anyone have any tips for a DoW noob?

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

rush get terrian

11. Namst

Namst Member

Yeah. Basically micro the shit out of everyting, rush lots of points, and dont try to tech up too fast. Also, Space marine sniper hordes, at least when I last checked, were the game winners (snipers early, vehicles and anti tank dudes later, but a good 4-10 squads of snipers will effectively make all enemy infantry obsolite). I never was really good on the net, but I thought I was alright on the lan games I played.

12. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

Tau are buggers when they go invisible

13. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Since I am very likely the best DoW player here, I will tell you this:

When your ranged units are being attacked by melee units, and you have another ranged squad in the vicinity, dance them; that is, constantly keep moving the squad thats under attack so that the enemy can't get any good hits, and your nearby ranged squad can attack the enemy. During death sequences, the attacking melee unit is invulnerable.

Also, make sure your always doing something. Never just sit back and say "Alright, I'm good". Move fast, get as many points as you can early game. Micro is the key; a few elite upgrades units will tear apart a huge mob of standard un-upgraded units.

14. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

hahaha someone seems to be forgetting the little scrim me you and dee had back in the day ;)

oh wait you did beat me one match you smelly ogre

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  15. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

So whats everyones favorite race? I haven't decided what mine is yet, but i have been playing the orks and the tau a lot for some reason.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

space marines :D

want a game or a comp stomp sometime?

17. cpugeek

cpugeek Member

Well, i don't think ready for a game yet, but a comp stomp would be fun :-)

18. Namst

Namst Member

I can handle space Marines or Chaos as favorites, and usually try to rush. They have arguably the best early game unit, the marines. Space marines got snipers, Chaos can cram more units into a marine squad. Until my friends started complaining when I spammed snipers, I nearly always did Space Marines.

19. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

In this order:

Space Marines
    Imperial Gaurd
    Tau
    Chaos
    Necrons
    Orks
    Eldar

IF we set a solid date, I'll start dusting off my skills. If I remember correctly, you guy beat me a while before I actually tried to get good. At which point I did.

Incase you may doubt me:
    http://www.xfire.com/profile/grayclay/

175 hours of DoW: DC.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  20. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

weee, soulstorm released on steam :D