LF nerds for D&D 5th edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by D.D.D. Destroyer, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Tailor the method to the audience.

The way DDD is doing it now works very well with this group.

2. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Isn't that just...info dumping? It's not exactly the most useful thing to people that way though, is it?

4. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

"Info dumping" is a simplification. This form is not the only level of detail the players ever get. That'd be retarded.

I'm not trying to write a storybook; I'm setting up the big picture of a world. Small details get made as I need them. I like to give my players a holistic view and let them decide where to go.

It would be impossible to make every small town, government, or guild on a continental scale before a game began. It's also a huge waste of time. Rather, I try to involve my players in the world and let their interests guide them. Veteran players hate being led by their noses - after all, they probably have character concepts and want to roleplay or build something. A world that expands from a single town solely as the DM needs it to leaves the players with nothing to explore. Your players are people, and they want to feel in control.

This system allows for more player controls while making my workload manageable.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Veteran players, you say?

Also. Dude. C'mon. DDD has never even played as a player character before and it is his first time DM'ing.

Right now people are just happy to play. And it's better in a more confined area because the boundaries mean no one's just running off in one direction and leaving everyone else behind. DDD is growing the area quite organically and after shoring up the first quest more options are shooting off quite quickly.

His method is working with this audience. Sure your method works, but to a relatively newbie mix like this it's more confusing than it's worth. It'd mire us in details.

And no offence, but is it supposed to be...kind of...not engaging? Maybe that's just my brain, though. I don't know.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I forced people to do two things in three sessions, and that was starting the first session in the one specific way and force-ending the second one. If people didn't want to to do what I proposed, I'd whip something up on the spot with what was available. Don't get me wrong, it's really cool for an invested player to see the wealth of lore behind everything, but there's also people that don't give a shit. Besides, the way those oneshots are set up, the party is always confined to the town's area, so knowing about factions all round the area doesn't do much. I stole the Pantheon from Forgotten Realms because I'm lazy. The immediate area, and the area of play, was already presented, and is still being expanded.

I don't see much need for empireslandia-wiki entries unless we commit to a huge campaign with set characters and changing locations. However, if I plan to incorporate something or someone I feel people don't know enough about, I'll write up a short infodump to not have people in the dark.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

To be fair, ddd did make a really nifty map that has all kinds of points of interest. So I assume players can look at that and decided what to do. Honestly this kind of setup reminds me of some video game rpgs like elderscrolls or geneforge. He has a pin up of quests that can be done and a bunch of places to travel to on the map if the players really don't want to do a quest and just explore. At least that is the way it looked to me.

For this group I think that is the best approach too.

8. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

You guys don't have to misrepresent what I say. I was speaking from my own experience with my players, not saying what I do would magically work here, especially with the digital format.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

..uh, sorry. I guess we thought you were writing something logical, since it's pretty illogical to say you prefer something else to what was done, even though you know it's not really viable in the situation.

Also it doesn't really help when you blatantly ignore other posters, then we're forced to continue with the same assumptions.

Just so I know, are you saying you like to build the world and place factions before you start, so people can choose between them? Or are you saying you just like the world in place before you start? Or something else?

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

It struck me on the way home today, but I actually have quite a fair bit of the world already developed/written down (missing am ap though), it's just not public because I don't see any gain in talking about the far far northwest.

11. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

1) I'm talking about when I DM, which is not now. It would be kinda dumb to think that when I talk about what I do when I DM, it means I think what DDD does is bullshit. When I said what I prefer, it is what I prefer to run.

2) I don't see any posts relevant to what I said that I "blatantly ignored". I never disparaged what DDD is doing. People explaining what DDD does does not have anything to do with me pointing out that you're strawmanning.

3) Yes I like having the world in place, because then my players can have back-stories and stuff built into the world, and they have expectations of what is to come. I don't necessarily want them to pick sides with factions, but they can and that's up to them.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I do think there was something about this
    I think Ikalx was pointing out why would you bother suggesting, which
    Strongly seemed to be in the first place.That's just my guess though.

I do disagree with the idea of not being able to explore from a single town though, there's plenty of things to explore. You just have to roleplay a bit to find out what's happening from the locals.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

I've made a large change to the map. The background is now green.

EDIT: 6 sessions and the crypt to finish, I have a supply ready for whoever, whenever ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  14. D.D.D. Destroyer

Nothing's set in stone yet, but anyone interested in 4 hours of D&D on Tuesday, 10th of Febraury, around 8 PM UK time?

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Give me a hour heads up.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I won't really know until beforehand but...I might be :p

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

You mean shout at you 7 PM UK time? Guess I can do that

18. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

At that time and date I certainly can't. Best of luck, though.

19. -=]Kane[=-

-=]Kane[=- Member

Sounds good to me :D

20. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.