lets talk Ships!!!

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by willvette, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Pinworm45

Pinworm45 Member

Out of curiosity, couldn't you do what ES did to have say, a square map with a huge circle ocean in the middle, and land outside.

Then have the middle lake be scaled, which wouldn't matter since it was just flat water, and have boats there, while the outside land was normal sized?

I know this would be a lot of work for very little (and situational) gain and is thus impractical, but wouldn't it be possible?

2. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so when i stand at the coastline i can see small RC controlled vessels fighting?

rethink, this might work for ES (it has some kind of transition iirc; wasnt a big fan, didnt play it much) but not necessarily for empires ;)

4. zenarion

zenarion Member

Yes, you would see tiny cute little boats pewpewing at each other.

5. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

YAYYYYY!!! But seriously, why do people keep bringing up the silly idea of boats? I just don't get it

6. flasche

because sadly there is no way to check if ppl actually read the forums/threads they are posting in. so everyone can post ...

actually i think on one of the first pages of this thread we discussed ET-like scaleing already.

but i know, reading, and even worse understanding what you just read, is a skill not really trained by the most individuals in our decadent first-world countries. it seems like all you are supposed to know is how you read pricetags ...

7. KamakazieWatermelon

KamakazieWatermelon Banned

Theres just something about Naval battle i find appealing. The battle is much more focused on team work rather than kill farming. get 5 ppl ona boat, go out pirating, YAY!

But sadly, most people in this forum are right. thre is really no room for boats in empires.

8. Dr. Turtle

Dr. Turtle Member

yea...just add hovercraft and steal the models from Ground control 1 and 2 :D

9. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Try shooting those infantry NOW. That's the sticking point. Trying to shell out enemy infantry from the central ocean map. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay being focused around the ships in the middle for Empires. I want coordination.

The correct way to do this is small ships (about the size of tanks) and a slight rescale of Empires. Heck, I'm a fan of scaling Empires by 2 anyways, just so we have more room to make more complex maps. Trying to fight giant battleships into this is asking for fail. Or you'd need a whole map/gamemode just for that.

Also, ES does have asteroids.... and star bases. Just properly scaled. So, most asteroid are bigger than your fighters.

10. zenarion

zenarion Member

Yes do that. The mod will sure pull some fans then. If you steal models. From an other game. That would be awesome!

11. willvette

willvette Member

Are we going for game-play or realism, game-play right? Then the ships don't have to be huge in order to fit right. I say make em slim, long, but sitting low in the water to decrease height. The guns should not be larger than the BE Heavy Tank Turret.

PS: don't get me started on how I think Ships should be implemented (it's a long idea)

12. Omneh

Omneh Member

I don't think we are going for ships at all with the current engine.

Ships wouldn't really add much to gameplay anyway.

13. killercheetah

killercheetah Member

about the massive ppl servers how about you guys run one massive server and every one on there own bandwith?

14. flasche

huh? :confused:

15. Empty

Empty Member

If you're saying what I think you are, you have no Idea how anything works at all.

If you aren't saying what I think you are, either your grasp or my grasp on the english language is terrible.

16. killercheetah

killercheetah Member

lol idk im pretty crap with stuff so prob ur right but thinking like MAG ^^

17. Sheepe

Sheepe Member

Why, for the love of sanity, is this thread not dead? WHYYYYYYY?!!!!

18. killercheetah

killercheetah Member

beacuse we love boats to much lol

19. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

Did you ever play BF1942? Ships were ridiculously OP for kill-farming. Even the coastal guns were pretty shocking against them.

20. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

both :D