lets talk Ships!!!

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by willvette, Aug 30, 2009.

1. willvette

willvette Member

Recently everybody has been talking about Implementation of Aircraft (I believe that the devs got it all planed out), or how to best change the game, Well, I know that ships comes after aircraft, so lets start talking about Implementation of Ships.

How many will there be?
    How will they be customized?
    Where can the docks be built? Does my predetermined docks work? ;)
    How to drive them?
    Can people besides the driver be gunners?
    Turning pivot point?
    Amphibious vehicles? An upgraded APC perhaps?
    Subs?
    Torpedoes?
    ...........​

2. Firedrill

Firedrill Member

destroyer/battleship/transport/aircraft carrier

left click to shoot.

3. Empty

Empty Member

No ships. Terribad idea, source hates floating objects.

4. Demented

Demented Member

They really oughtn't be larger than twice the size of the NF heavy tank.
    Patrol torpedo boat, gunboat, and some wee little speedboat.

Source loves floating objects.
    Gmod doesn't.

5. TheAmethystDuke

TheAmethystDuke Member

You could have the predetermined dock idea, you don't have to make them float in the water either, just make collision entity(requires a new brush entity) along the shores, and make it unable for ships to move trough those entities. Then we could get some great maps, considering islands don't need to be that big, we could have a map the size of King and islands the size of the Cyclopean starting bases.

Gunboat, Torpedo Boat, Speedboat, and an Amphibious Transport.

I could even see small submarines working.

But we would have to implent map scaling, even we can have maps four times or twice the size of hammer we could still get good Aircraft & Naval battles on those.

And if that works we could add Destroyers and Battleships.

We could also just copy the HL2 Hoverboat, and together with the new brush entity we could still have floating boats and still prevent Battleships from pushing the CV into the water.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

lol ships are lol

when do we get the huge maps well need for aircraft carriers? oO
    also, you might have never seen one, but even destroyers are quite huge (like more then 10 times a heavy), not speaking of battleships ...

7. rataplan

rataplan Member

I don't know much about modeling/mapping (i'd love to learn a lot about it and make some stuff for Empires) but won't that make tanks and other rolling stuff be able not to 'drive' into the water?

8. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

There was an interview about boats...

9. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

10. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I think the ship idea is retarded. We'll have to make a lot of maps just to accomodate ships. :\

11. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Doesn't we have to do the same for aircraft?

12. willvette

willvette Member

yes we do, scale the maps down so aircraft have room to fight but, we're get off topic.

13. Demented

Demented Member

There's enough water on Delta for some speedboats.

256 player server with no vehicle limit. :headshot:

14. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

15. Icely

Icely Member

The problem with ships is the map edge. Notice how the airboat in HL2 is always in canals that have walls? Any body of water what could contain ships would have to be similarly contained to prevent them from bumping into the edge of the map.

Now you can get around that somewhat by having the boats teleport to a smaller scale version of the map when they reach the edge of the normal one. But if the full scale version of the map doesn't change then you have a massive space for naval battles essentially off to the side of the map where it doesn't matter.

In my opinion then what you need to make ships, or aircraft worthwhile would be two or more infrantry scale maps connected by a smaller scale ship and aircraft map. That way ships are needed to travel between the infrantry combat areas and fighting for control of the sea is actually worthwhile.

Then however, you get a much more complex game with players split between infrantry and ships and the infrantry relying on the ships for transport between two or more arenas.

Ships would be cool, but adding them will negativity impact land combat. If not directly then by taking up effort that could otherwise be put towards bettering the game in another way.

16. willvette

willvette Member

For now on lets just assume that the maps will be scaled to bigger sizes, how would ships work?

NOTE: Ignore all map size and scaling issues, this post is on the Implementation of Ships!!!

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

a simple push brush could push the boats back into the fighting zone

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

/fixed

i dont know what you want to hear. as far as i understood it, scaling causes troubles because of 32bit floats. the effect gets worse the closer to the max-bounds for a map you get.
    this means collisions will get fucked up, phyisc calculations will give strange results and and and ...

but anyway, lets talk ships. they have body, armor, engines, various guns, are able to drive and cost money to build - so basically they are tanks, but they float ...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  19. willvette

willvette Member

I'M NOT IMPLYING THAT!!!!!!! This is an open forum, people can say what they want, this post is to encourage ideas, the only idea I have given was the predetermined docks! :mad:

BUT!!! I keep getting people who continue to talk about the scaling issues, OK. :mad:

20. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Ahem.

Source was never meant to be scaled. When you do this, physics calculations have to become rounded. what would previously give an answer of 900 would now give 900/16, or 56.25. Source can not deal with this, so it rounds it to 56. however, the physics calculation requires it to be exactly accurate to give the correct results. basicly, your pew pews are going to be off by a bit, or quite a lot. divide that sum by 10 and you get 5.625 rounded to 6, which is really quite different. this painfully effects hitboxes and hit detection, which is OK if the things you're dealing with are big (such as spaceships) where shooting 2 inches off a target and registering a hit doesn't really matter, but it does when you're dealing with people sized objects.

So no, don't even think about the scaling of maps. think about the not scaling of maps.