Lets Play! 24-08 1900-UTC (2000-BST)

Discussion in 'General' started by A-z-K, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Misfire

Misfire Always Lost

One more thought on new players.... big games attract them better. You can come in, kind of be anonymous, mess up badly and not get too much notice while you try to figure things out. Duh .... it took me about ten minutes just to figure out where/how to spawn my very first game.

I've seen many many times, newbies come into smaller intense games, get yelled at, cussed at and disappear for good. Not a good way to attract numbers. Maybe have vets in Alpha-Bravo, ask newbies go Charlie on down. Comm knows which squads will do "heavy-lifting" and expect the others to stick to basics.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Thing is, 5v5 matches are basically like that godawful dota and the likes. Your screwup makes the entire team weak, and it's easy to screw up.

3. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

FN is self proclaimed thick shell - why would I not pick on him ? He's also the only player that makes me shit a brick when he's on the other team.

Not sure what you consider "New to the game". I have over 1400 hours of game play on Empires. New to the forums YES, new to the game NOT, New to PUGS definitely - that was my first, so my feedback is based exclusively on that and obviously you guys have tried everything else and I can't say that I have any objections to how the most recent one was run. I withdraw the PW protect observation - obviously a bad choice and AzK most likely knows that.

Kudos to AzK for a well setup match. His link to the time conversion site is now on my favorite list. ;)

Grantrithor. Come play sometime. You'll see me there most evenings. Your observation is based on your not playing on either Viper or Empires very frequently, not my not playing frequently - as most here know.

Thanks Misfire - way kinder than I deserver - YOU FUCKING FUCK FUCKER. Heh heh - kidding. I should change my name to Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, since I have no middle ground. I love the game and love to play both COM and on the ground if I have a good COM. I know being a good COM takes time. Hell I had Corley in COM the other day training him for the win, but I tell him to SHUT THE FUCK UP more often than not. I unfortunately can't or maybe don't want to change this. This is my stress relief and all you fuckers are just my stress recipients ;)

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

1400 hours on a single version with a lot of spectating and low playercount games isn't really a lot. I'm not really getting involved in the argument but I'm just saying, it's not a great deal. A lot of "vets" have like 5000+ hours across multiple versions, most of which had 40+ players whenever they played. To put it simply, what A-z-K setup there was pretty much every single day/night a couple of years ago.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You mean a slow day.

A full 62 player game was awe inspiring.
    Also laggy as fuck with vehicles but thats another thing.

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Indeed they are dark times. I did miss out on the height of clan activity because I only played for like a month then gave up and when I did come back a month later I didn't get involved for a very long time

Still I do feel sorry for people who found this game late in its life. Whats worse is I still haven't found a game I want to play as much. The only reason I don't play empires as much as I used to is nobody else does! Mind you, at least I see more sunlight now.

7. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

From the video I posted of the PUG, you can see I am shit on large player count games. Also COM's who normally play low player count games don't know how to com large number games. I think you learn to play more paranoid, and much more active in larger games - constantly swinging, ducking and jiving. It's a bit more relaxing in low player count games. COMing large player games is more of strategy, dropping buildings for support - Armories, and not being too concerned about making sure they get built like you do on small games. Splitting you attention more rapidly to the various areas to give targets and buildings. At least I THINK that is the case. I watched a video between two excellent PUG commanders and the base was constantly being dropped to zero and rebuilt within a very short time. Most COM's leave a devastated base, but on this vid you can see it was quickly rebuilt and continued research and going back and forth on taking the lead - back and forth. The COM didn't focus too long on any one area - I learned alot from that video.

Too bad I missed the HEY DAY or Empires. I'm enjoying it none the less, and continually learning more things about it and ways to rock. I'll be ready when it comes back and maybe hit that 5000 hour mark.

8. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

AzK - even though it is played less frequently - it is obviously easy to get large groups to come back. You always have 40+ for PUGS whether they sign up or not. Last night I got on an empty server - sent out invites and we had some decent low population games. I do get the feeling that guys are just polling the server waiting for 10 ppl, then instantly cranking the population upto 30+. Some nights you get on and it's packed - other nights it's empty, and there is not trend. Friday or Saturday could be just as empty or full.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

ohh yeah, I'm not saying its dead. I'm just saying it is a shame there isn't 2 full servers 24/7 like it used to be. There's still alot of fun to be had, just now you kinda have to work at it

10. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

ohh yeah, I'm not saying its dead. I'm just saying it is a shame there isn't 2 full servers 24/7 like it used to be. There's still alot of fun to be had, just now you kinda have to work at it