Kicking Hobbs asses

Discussion in 'General' started by JustGoFly, Mar 21, 2013.

1. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I joined a NF newbie team on Money. One guy grabbed COM and seemed to know what to do. He dropped refs and started building a Radar, VF and research. Then Hobbes - after many attempts got his team to rush NORTH. Our team COM actually gave up, he jumped in a LT and left the base - which is what seems to happen to some COM's when playing against HOBBE's - they shit their pants. He scares them into submission. So I jumped in the COM. Hobbes is dropping barracks after barracks - in hopes to get ONE up. I calmly tell the team - focus on north - come out as Gren or Engie, xxx go up top as rifleman and shoot those guys. I start building Turrets and continue research, also try to wall Hobbes in which is not likely to happen.

Turrets drive Hobbes nuts, he starts vote banning me. He hates that I drop turrets and every time I talk voice to him he calls me the Turret guy. Because it is the ONE defense that will ruin his day. He can't get out of the COM vehicle. He is driving all over our side. His team is shooting at our VF from the bridge, They take down the Radar, VF, Rax. My guys are all shooting at hobbes. I tell them - IGNORE THE COM - take down those guys on the bridge - I tell one guy to switch to rifleman and hit the roof, the rest to gren the multitude of barracks and build turrets. I head south and build barracks, new radar, and VF. Then turret farm south. They own north but still they can not get a Rax up. Then we push Mediums and ruin hobbes day.

He's not all that tough to beat if you can ignore all the chaos, expect a rush, and prepare for that rush, then get a second base up since he will take down your first base. A focus'd attack will succeed if you have a couple vets.

He was furious - kept trying to Ban me and kept calling me JustGoTurret. Ya babay - we get the win and some newbs learned how to fight under pressure.

JustGo Bigger Than Big Guy

2. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

This is fine and all but why make a new thread? There are already like three empires stories threads and two of those were started by you.

3. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

Yep.

Also. Sticky Stuns >> Hobbes.

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I remember one round of slaughtered where me and hobbes walled each other in at C2 by BE's tower quite early in the game and we both had APCs close. I can't remember who won but it was funny - I wish I could have had a split screen display of both of us raging at our inept teams as they drove off in random directions.

I swear I could almost hear him

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

cant think of an easier task for a comm in empires - except maybe for dropping buildings and researching. nevertheless i have to say there currently is no other comm i love to play with or against - hobbes is a guarantor for a non-boring sometimes unpredictable match. he got balls and thats why i salute him.

best strategy against hobbes is to asign one somewhat decent engineer to get him stuck on a ML turret then wall him, on viper i usually manage to do it on the 2nd try, first is fucked because of lag and the fact that im out of training. only issue is that other guys have to killspawn as rifle with stickies, something people seem too dumb or unused to - i usually get scunts with stickystuns. nice try but they deal close to no damage compaired to rifleman-stickies and its unimportant if a walled comm is overheated or not.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  6. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

LOL - I have participated on forums using this exact SW that you are using - RCGroups. And the proper format is to start a new thread when you are talking about something different.

But this forum - obviously that is not the case because no thread stays on topic. Everyone jumps in and diverts it to something else BECAUSE starting a new thread is bad ?

And now the thread is diverted to something completely different - good job.

PS: This thread is NOT in GamePlay. Dumping everything in General Discussion - which makes absolutely no sense to me, but when you get kids running the show - stupid shit happens.

JustGoFly

7. flasche

i think it was more because most people here dont see hobbes as a threat but a gift to play against - after a couple of years you get used to pull out your calc once you see the enemy boomtanking ;)

unless this dramatically changed, its also something you wouldnt do in a "serious game" - against vets you have very little chance to pull it off. boomtanking only works against noobies and uncoordinated teams that fall for the bait - for the rest its more risk then reward. unless you do it for the adrenaline and not to win - like hobbes does ^^

8. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Yep agreed. Hobbes is tough to beat. He knows his shit and is aggressive. Not mean't as disrespect towards him. Just that you have to change tactics when playing against him. The main reason Hobbes wins is that his team is normally stacked. The game he played against me - we were fairly even. Next match afterwards he slaughtered the group of newbies when the vets who enjoy winning on Hobbes team joined him. The newbie com on the other team did a really good job of trading bases and trying to com back, but it was too late with no real support.

JustGoFly

9. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

LOL - watching in spec sometimes you can see a COM kicking ass and guys bouncing against walls. And I usually comment - That COM has got to be raging, he's doing everything right and the wimps up front won't push.

I'd like to see Hobbes fancy keyboard work, I think he gets on the wall control quick and it's tough to escape him. I wonder if anyone uses a programmable keyboard to quickly go into overhead view, select walls - click they are down.

I can't claim to be able to beat Hobbes more often than he beats me. But I do claim to be able to piss him off, which I put down as success. :)

Vinnie

10. flasche

you have to have the menus open beforehand and walls selected (i think the selection sticks, but im not a 100% sure atm) then be fast clicking. it also helps if you bind enter and exit comm interface to the same key (why are they on different keys by default btw?)

edit:
    but dont listen to me, according to FN i know so little about empires that he had to pm me as a reminder. :rolleyes:

11. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

If you want to learn to kill hobbes easier, ask Doc Rabbit.

He has killed and trapped Hobbes more than anyone else I know.

12. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Always clan bro's who take you down the best :p

13. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yes if you select walls in comm view and exit to driving then the next time you go back to comm view your walls are still selected ready to drop. There is a distance from the CV within which it is always possible to drop walls or buildings regardless of enemy presence and it takes a while to know exactly where that is. Took me ages of blindly clicking around dropping walls before I was able to do it on the first couple of tries

but yeah, Hobbes is awesome. Its always fun to play when he commands whichever side you are on.

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I wouldn't use the word "awesome" here.

15. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

SW??? I am not familiar with this new age slang.

As for Hobbes, I'm not awfully active right now but when I was, I always took the chance to command against him which mostly resulted in me winning.
    I did this by simply counter boomtanking him, I always had my cv close to where I expected him to boomtank and when he inevitably appeared, I pushed him around and in best case, walled him in. This forced him to play a lot more safe so my team became a lot less distracted by his antics.
    Other small things also mattered such as dropping small wall segments everywhere so it becomes a lot harder for him to run people over.

You can also do what you did and turret spam but that's a lot less fun for both parties.

16. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Hi I'm JustGoFly

1) Start new thread
    2) Make sure it's in the wrong section
    3) Ensure it's unnecessary and that there are at least two other relevant threads on page 1
    4) Post a story about a mediocre-at-best accomplishment
    5) Call everyone kids for some reason
    6) In comes somebody calling me out on my bullshit (in this case, Pred)
    7) Tell him this is how it's done on other forums, then insult him
    8) Insert another children related insult directed at every moderator and developer
    9) Proceed to contribute nothing to my own thread other than insulting anybody who dares quote me
    10) Post signature, so you know exactly who is bringing you such quality content

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Devourawr, you are Devourawr, you also shit post, except for "New Topic".

Santiago

18. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Oh, come on, as if you don't.

And seriously, I have to agree with Devo here: this story is mediocre and superfluous at best. You placed down a couple of turrets and killed Hobbes as a result--I really don't see why this is anything to brag about, especially since you think bragging about building turrets, for God's sake, is actually something to brag about.

Also, Hobbes tries to voteban everybody.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Who said I didn't?

Gaston

20. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

Who said that you said that you didn't?

François