It's back, and worse than before.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by PreDominance, Mar 19, 2011.

1. FN198

FN198 Member

paradox sucks dick
    it is a known fact of life
    RAGE should accept it

2. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Both groups are. The only difference is that the first wouldn't exist if the second did not. Regardless, it doesn't matter because the second group will always exist. New players often times don't care / aren't interested in playing Empires the way it was designed to be played. They want to go scout, lone wolf, and do nothing useful for their team.

3. Krazer

Krazer Member

I find it funny that it is the opposite that is true.

Older players often times don't care / aren't interested in playing Empires the way it was designed to be played. They want to go scout, lone wolf, and do nothing useful for their team.

When I play a few games, and actively look at the players who play the game in the "spirit" or "image" it was imagined as. It is never vets who play this way. It is only (not all) newer players.

This is why I don't find scrims fun. In fact, it's why I don't really play anymore.

4. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I can't stand vets who try to take over comm. New players get all tactical and shit and set walls when you ask them, ammo when you ask, shoot tanks that you tell them to shoot, sneak around and shit and set mines like fuck sakes.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

What new players are you playing with? Could I have some?

6. FN198

FN198 Member

and you call people assholes for not playing on their team

7. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Really? I found the exact opposite. Some of the new players are going scout and shit is because they don't KNOW how to play the game. With those exceptions, newbs are easier to deal with as they are willing to cooperate and do valuable tasks that "vets" find beneath them. For example, I have notice an influx of revive/repair engineers since Steam release. It is now very common to see engineers in the s-bend of emp_slaughtered, repairing tanks.

Sadly, FN doesn't realize that those newbs are being as good and cooperative as the vets in his ballsy rushes.

8. Razorbud

Razorbud Coder

It makes me sad to see people wait in spec or unassigned, then as soon as some 'nub' joins the weaker team, they jump on the opportunity to join the stacked side - rinse and repeat (it's pretty obvious when it happens - you all know who you are)

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

or when they like join a team, but are auto-balanced to the other, so they instantly join spec.

10. FN198

FN198 Member

==> recon

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Because playing with a group of people that don't do much, is the same as not playing at all. If both teams have good players, the people waiting in spec, are simply making a preference as to which team they want to join. While still selfish, it's innocent and in essence is what multiplayer is all about, interacting with other players, preferably friends, and enjoying it.

Not everyone is selfless, it's a game and people should be able to have fun. Being gang raped by a stacked team is not a real reward for being selfless, as my opening sentence mentioned, you might as well be selfless and not waste your time.

I hope this shows that the problem is only compounded by stackers. And that stackers, and especially people waiting in spec to stack a stacked team, are not the root of the problem. While in some games there is very little you can do to fix the difference in learning curve, in Empires the learning curve is ridiculously steep for all the wrong reasons.

If you would compare Empires gameplay, the way it is intended, to the gameplay of games like Q3 TDM, the obvious comparison you will be able to make is that the teamplay complexity of Empires is based on hard-coded mechanics, where as in Q3 its based on pure skill and tactics. The learning curve Empiresmod has is far too high for what it should be, since all it takes for new players to be good teamplayers is to know how things work, most mechanics are restrictive in nature and the learning curve doesn't necessarily grow after the initial understanding of it.

I understand it makes you sad, and you're not blaming anyone. I just don't think I or anyone would want to get ass raped all day long because its the nicer thing to do.

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

before FN accpets anything as halfway decent that isnt him hell freezes ...

13. flasche

because just steamrolling the enemy for 3 rounds without any resistance is fun :rolleyes:

14. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

You're probably thinking your point is real clever. It's not.

15. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Seriously that is fun, then have one really competitive game, then steamroll for 3 more rounds. that conditions the n00bs :p

16. flasche

please dont take it personal, i fully understand your point too ...

17. FN198

FN198 Member

reports of my standards are greatly exaggerated. ask wmg/ounin

18. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

The way you steamroll is the fun part, do it creatively nuff and it's fun allright.