Is Empires dead, dying, or just on hold...

Discussion in 'General' started by LordRoY, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

What Stu said. Okay, so Empires updates are going pretty damn slow, and Krenzo doesn't feel like coding all day and is thinking of buying some food instead of power drinks, oh no!

It's all very nice of you to suggest helping him, but this is a bit overkill. "OH SHIT WE NEED A PR TEAM AND SOURCE CONTROL AND WE NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT IT'LL BE READY TO GO COMMERCIAL IF IT EVER COMES TO THAT". Don't panic, dammit.

If Krenzo thinks he needs some help, he'll inform us. If Krenzo feels he just doesn't have time anymore, he'll inform us. But please, don't stand there preparing a dev team that's bigger than a goddamn game studio when there's not even a need for it. TBH, that's more insulting than anything else.

2. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Theese are done in their spare time; and if IRL is stepping in for them; give them a god damned break. We had a year of closed door testing; with just 1 server that was barley populated (Granted, there were the clan servers, but only enough people to fill a single one).

If you are serious about this; join the dev team, present what you can do and samples of your work, and join. Same effect as what you are asking, but without the drama that is going on right now...

In short: Not happy with the progress? Take up the hammer and chisel and join the dev's, don't whine and bitch as a facless mass. If the developers would do as you ask; it would most definatly collapse...

3. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I'm helping Dorito|Lord, Bob The Builder, and Moojuice learn to map.
    CAN I GET COOKIES?

4. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Is bob's map a giant anus?

5. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

My purpose wasn't to spark drama... I did panic though, when Mootant said in-game that Krenzo had quit for good and Empires was going to die. Eh... Right, back to mapping for Empires. ->

Also, this thread should be deleted.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  6. Megor

Megor Member

I have been playing since 1.07 and the complexity and history of this Mod is simply astounding. There is simply no other mod out there that is able to amass massive tank battles combined with free construction and player interaction. The level of this Mod is very sophisticated, yes, but it is the challenge that many game players are looking for. It is wrong to think negatively in any fashion about this Mod. The game is fun, challenging, and adrenaline rushing. Yes, there are times when someone griefs the com but do not forget the times when it seemed instant defeat which turned into a three hour long battle stalemate. This is what makes this Mod so much fun, and as it stands I will be playing it untill every server is taken down. I have a lot of fun playing this game.

Stop worrying about the future, this is something not in our hands, we should be playing and having fun. Stop posting negatively and start playing positively. Find more players, form more clans, teach more players. The Mod is great fun as it is right now.

We can't compare this mod with past mods such as CS, it was a different era back then, the internet was just emerging, net codes were a nightmare, and HL revolutionized what gaming was all about. This is a brand new era with such sophisticated games now that there is a definition of "gamer", this term did not exist ten years ago. Be realistic in how you appreciate this Mod, love it for what it is, if it grows more show affection, if it becomes idle in its developement enjoy it for all it is worth.

See you in battle.

Megor

7. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

well said my good man

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Indeed. That was very inspiring, and best of all totally true.

Empires caused me to stop playing games in general, and spend all my time on/in the empires universe. With the possible exception of the halflife series and audiosurf.

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

I think there's many people that don't bother to play because there's no wiki article on the mod.
    There used to be one, but it was deemed "not notable". The admins that deleted it said it needed to be as popular as CS to be notable.

If that's how everybody thinks, it's no wonder nobody stays, but then again, i'm sure those same admins never tried the mod, they just came to this site, saw the thread on the wiki article needing a cleanup, and then determined that all persons voting against deletion were sockpuppets.

Then again, Empires is a fun game if you just learn to play it, you can't learn how to play the game in 5 minutes like other games, that's what makes it fun and keeps it fun.

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

For the sake of argument, let's say that Krenzo decides to stop coding altogether and completely abandons Empires today. Where would we, the players, stand if 2.12 was deemed "final"? IMHO, we would still have a very stable, fun, unique and enjoyable game with a huge replayability factor. Let's not forget that among all the panic.

So what if aircraft, navy, and a myriad of suggested features are never implemented? At the very worst we will get to enjoy the current version until the last server is taken down. Not too bad of a deal if you ask me.

From 1.0 (and even the BF'42 version), Empires has gone leaps and bounds to where it's at right now, thanks to the entire Dev team. Let's not insult them now by jumping to conclusions. Until Krenzo says anything one way or the other, all these "omg empierz is dieieing!!!1!eleven" are nothing but speculation and misinformation.

11. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Yeah, everybody just needs to shut the fuck up and enjoy the game. Especially you new ungrateful fucks that started playing at 2.0 and decided we actually give a shit about your opinion. We don't. You need to learn to appreciate the mod for how it is now. You're lucky to be getting anything you pieces of shit. Think of all the money empires has saved you from not having to buy new games.

12. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Ah Stu; can't you just feel the love? :p

Though he does bring up a very good point; many members that started playing at 2.0 are declaring Empires dead, while it has existed for 2 years before that; and managed to stay aflot, with alot less support...

13. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

As long as people keep making maps for the game it will stay fresh.

The community could even release map packs.

14. nebajoth

nebajoth Member

Buggy custom maps clear servers faster than someone screaming "PLAAAAAGGGGUUEEE!!!".

There needs to be a certification body that takes maps and declares them fit for general consumption.

Otherwise, custom maps will actually actively SABOTAGE Empires, IMO.

15. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

In some spect; arent the server adminstrators of each respective clan already doing that?

16. REX

REX Member

It takes a lot of time, so I wouldn't worry at all unless theres no sign of progress or life like a year after the latest release.

Maybe we could start having PUGs again to test maps between RCs ?.

17. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Maybe we should start having PUGs again to betatest 2.2?

18. REX

REX Member

yeah I tried to join last time, but I kept instacrashing when the map was almost loaded. I have sent the crash dumps, so I am stuck at that. Don't know if any one else have that problem.

19. rampantandroid

rampantandroid Member

Most all custom maps make me want to sit the round out. Most custom maps are no fun at all, and quite frankly, are just an annoyance. I'm not trying to discourage mappers - in fact, I'm encouraging them to set up PUGs to test their map - Cyber Kun has done a good job with that. Every time shadows has a new RC, he invites people from the empires group to playtest his map. Don't just release a map then let it sit for ages and expect people to enjoy it.

20. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Blimbs?

No, but seriously, I appreciate the awesome mod Krenzo, Megel, Grizzly, Damian, Solokiller, Dizzyone, and all the other mappers and forum admins have provided for us. It really is wonderful, and I just wish I had the connection to play it on. My dial-up is inconsistent at best as of late, and is mostly incapable of anything useful. Aside from this, schoolwork has piled up to the point that I have little time to play Empires.

I appreciate the work done by all the devs, and find Empires a wonderful proof-of-concept, at the very least, that RTS/FPS hybrids can be fun.

At the best, however, Empires is freakin' awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.