Is Empires dead, dying, or just on hold...

Discussion in 'General' started by LordRoY, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It's not about getting new people, it's about getting those that do try it to stay, which is the biggest problem right now.

But yeah I wanted to make a little movie badly, but my pc sucks too much to get actual material ;o

2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I could do that.
    I have quad core, I can run 1600x1200 or smaller if needed.
    The FPS is only about 30 when I run that high of a resolution, but I could make it have better time if needed.

3. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

a 1600x1200 trailer... ehehe... slap "HD" by its side and people will watch it just because of the resolution...

4. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I hate you now.

5. Evan

Evan League Commissioner

Beerdude, use an FTP client that allows you to resume interrupted uploads

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I have to agree about getting people to stay... IMHO I might leave for TF2 because of the major problem that there just aren't enough Empires players.
    I really enjoy playing, but, in general, when I load the server browser, there are only about 1 or 2 servers with people in them... On CS:S, there were at least 20...

7. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Theres nearly no day you dont find a full 40 slot empires server arround 18 - 24
    gmt

8. Silk

Silk Mapper

Yesterday we had 146 people playing
    I think KM and Mush were both full, the training server was almost full, the league server had 20 people and some other servers had a few players.

It's good enough for me.

Only like now, in the morning and afternoon (gtm) during the week it can be a little empty, but in the evening and during the night, and in the weekend i can't complain.

9. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I can believe that because I even played SF when it was getting updated to all those new "cheaper" block models and so on.

And Cyber-Kun.

30 FPS is actually even more than is needed. Human's eye can see 24fps video as smooth as it would be 60fps video. In other words. 30fps video is just fine. It is enough smooth and even more.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  10. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

24 FPS gives impression of motion. Human eye can notice the difference between FPS up to 100. For example I clearly see difference between 60 and 30 FPS.

I was thinking about changing something in Empires but I will probably have to rewrite tens of thousands lines of code to even start thinking about it. It can't be changed in reasonable time to make the game simpler and easier to learn as much as I want.

11. dizzyone

Film and video are recorded at 24/25/29 fps, its smooth because the movements are all blurred, and when its interlaced it doesn't actually work as freeze frame but the lines come after each other real quick, so technically would be speaking of double frame rate.

And your eyes may not be able to see more than 24 frames a sec or whatever, you can notice the interval difference between the frames and might be able to see a difference going upto 60 frames a sec, afaik you will see movements from 24 fps and up as a blurry movement.

12. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Ok.

(WHEEBOT!!!)

13. dizzyone

I'm sorry, I don't watch newgrounds.

14. Reef

Reef Member

I bet there are some things that can be changed/fixed pretty easily. There are some people that would like to do that (f.e. I would, but it seems that MOOtant would like to help too and I think we are not the only ones here).

I once checked the Mantis: there are many, many documented bugs, but noone fixes them.
    Krenzo has no time/will to do it. Maby some of his tasks could/should be passed to someone else?

How long will this issue be ignored? Everyone keeps pretending that things are perfectly fine. They are not.

15. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

This post deserves a quote.

I think the mod should be handed over to new developers if the old ones quit. Just make the new devs publicly swear their loyalty to Krenzo. Krenzo could then occasionally check in, make a public comment, and guide the development.

Granted, some mods have turned into shit after new teams have taken over, but many great mods have totally died also because the original devs kept the sources to themselves after stopping development.

The devs don't owe us anything, but I'm voicing my opinion that something as great and unique as Empires shouldn't be left to stagnate and die, if not for the community's pleasure, then for all the effort that went into the development of the game.

16. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Mootant has been fixing bugs.

17. Reef

Reef Member

This post deserves a quote as well.
    I think that Krenzo has feelings about the project and it would be good for him, for new(&old) devs and for the project if he would be a Product Owner (kind of a manager, who tells people what to do instead of doing it by himself). This would take him much less time and it would ensure guarantee of the good course, so Empires doesn't f.e. implement superweapons.
    Unfortunatley, neither Krenzo or other devs comment stuff I am posting here, probably because ALL OF THAT USELESS B******T You guys are posting in this topic.

18. petemyster

petemyster Member

these all are very good ideas. Though it just won't be the same without Krenzo :'(

But it has to be done, but let me direct this question at Krenzo. Would you prefer a real, hard, mortal life, or a virutal life where you are a immortal god of code! :p

If Krenzo does approve of this new recuitment, then posting on the neglected moddb page and you'll get loads of responses.

19. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

I love how it's mostly new members bitching about needing new coders and shit. You guys obviously weren't around for the 1.07-2.0 wait. Just let Krenzo decide what he wants to do, and leave him the fuck alone.

20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I thought the new players would help Empires.
    I am so wrong, and so sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.