Implementation of CMMI on Empires Development

Discussion in 'General' started by PatPeter, Feb 27, 2012.

?

What level of CMMI do you think Empires Development is at?

1. Level 1 - Processes unpredicable, poorly controlled and reactive.

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Level 2 - Processes characterized for projects and is often reactive.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Level 3 - Processes characterized for the organization and is proactive.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Level 4 - Processes measured and controlled.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Level 5 - Focus on process improvement.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

i didnt even read the OP, but yes that sounds completely impractical from a certain perspective, however the dev team DOES need more help

2. Reznov

Reznov Member

Ok is it just me or did people forget that this game is already developed?

The only things happening right now are fixes/additions and those things are not being developed but demanded from the public. The devs that we have right now just say if it is possible/not worth it/etc.

So my basic question is... why da FUCK would you structure that?!
    We only have about 2-3 coders and they don't need any kind of structuring to get shit done.

I'll just say what everyone else said, they are doing it for free. If they wanna do it structured or not is no ones decision. So stop rating people which do stuff out of their own fucking will.

3. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

Yes it does, but I don't see how forcing one of the guys that keeps things running to leave his post to someone else who may not at all get things running.

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We need more coders, not more administration. Be less dumb Bitchslap, PatPeter is nothing more than a self-righteous asshole.

5. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Basically yeah, team isn't suffering from administration problems, it's simple manpower we need, more modellers, more coders, more free time for the ones we have.

6. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I'll give you that. There are the actual workings of teamwork in the dev team for the first time ever. Too bad it's on the last legs of life.

Also, I'm not going to say the mod is dead because every time I do you bastards go and release 3 new versions.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

never surrender.

8. Trickster

Say it fagget.

9. Deiform

Deiform Member

I'm sure every vet in the community is as stubborn as each other and as spiteful. If someone says it's dead, they get a spurt of inspiration to fix 20 bugs and release it. FUCK YOU KYLEGAR YOU CAN'T CONTROL ME!

Also doesn't PatPeter just start threads and never comment on them?

10. Trickster

Yeah that's pretty much how it works.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

[​IMG]

12. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I am not a dev but I am an admin on the forum

And I changed your title.

13. Trickster

I had a better idea, but yours is less offensive.

14. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

You are a dev, you can't moderate the forum

15. Trickster

Oh yeah, good point.

16. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Empires is like Windows XP after SP2, fixes, fixes, fixes, additions en mass under the hood, new errors en mass, but you wouldn't fucking notice until there's a weird new warning message that wasn't there before.

Empires -> service and support + Cake!

I like it like that, cause I can't remember it being really different from that.

17. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  18. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

+1

fuck these devs give me mod

imo we can develop like community watch groups and we can take turns going to the devs houses to make sure they do nothing but work on empires in their spare time

19. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

You read my post wrong. It isn't about deserving Developer or Moderator; it's about keeping the positions separate and unbiased.

It isn’t demanding code; it’s setting guidelines. It doesn’t matter if the deadline is one week or six months; it gives Developers that sense of responsibility.

I did not add a stage 0 because Empires exists, there is no reason to insult the progress the current development team or the previous developers have made on the mod.

Firstly, a highly unspecific request. Secondly, if by “couple” you mean “twice”, because that was the extent of it, one of which being in parentheses.

How was it harsh? I’m taking what I’ve learned on development and applying it to Empires. I’m not insulting the programming ability, artistry, or other talents of developers. Also, I could have been suggesting something already implemented in Empires development, such as a bug tracker (also necessary to development). I am not critiquing Empires so much as I am relaying what I have seen work in development teams.

“making empires on source” is an ignoratio elenchi. The reality of the present is: Empires is on the Source engine. Do not digress from the present by living in the past. Life is in the future.

1) If it is true that no one holds Lead Developer, then I would change my first point to saying that we need an appointed Lead Developer who does the things I listed previously.

2) No, I was using a real example to argue for the separation of Developer and Moderator. Would you rather argue in pure rhetoric?

3) As stated above, the deadline could be six months to a year, it does not matter. A deadline allows for scheduling and prioritizing of implementations.

You argued each of my points and I thank you for it. You do not deserve to be saged.

What do you mean by multiple posts? You mean my posts on the design document?

1) And Trickster, listen to me: I apologize if I insulted you by calling you Lead Developer. I made an assumption, an ass out of myself by assuming that you were LD based on your explanation of your role in the dev team, i.e. bouncing ideas off of others and whatnot.

2) When did I say anything about democracy? You mean the vote? Public opinion != democracy. You mean separating two roles into mutually exclusive responsibilities?

3) Then set the deadline to six months, or a year, or two years. Then you have a timeframe, then you can schedule. Do you live your own life free of any and all schedules whatsoever?

And I’m sorry you feel the need to insult me. I was not trying to rile you or anger you in any way. I hoped that I was appeasing to your interests of making Empires better.

Hey, if I didn’t have my monitors I couldn’t program while I play two games and watch videos at the same time.

Thank you to the first part.

So you believe in stagnation (to the second part)? Even the smallest of dev teams can get some things done.

I would never be so arrogant as that. I merely want someone to lead Empires into the future.

Alright, Trickster is Project Manager and not Lead Developer, I misspoke. Thank you for clarifying.

Who would I private message?

20. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

There are only three types of authority: traditional, charismatic, and rational-legal. Please clarify your point.

If he is only “a quality assurance and community manager” and “no coder anyway”, why doesn’t he take up the position of Super Moderator?

If I should have voiced my opinion two years ago, I would not have had nearly as many refined thoughts or experiences on development.

So you’re the Project Manager?

You think on too small of a scale, too micro. The lead developer would have terms of at least six months to two years. The deadlines could also be this large, and correlate to the change in Lead Developer.

So you agree that the Developer and Moderator positions should be separated? Also, to my knowledge, Mr. Die knows nothing about programming or development. I represent myself and only myself.

My loyalty is not to Mr. Die, to Trickster, or even to Krenzo. My loyalty is to Empires: the community and the game itself.