i like how the forum litterally died the day dwarf fortress 2010 came out

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by blizzerd, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Empty

Empty Member

The game field is about...

1000x1000x300, each with it's own list of settings and items etc.

That's before you even think about pathfinding and individual living creatures which are actually fairly complex.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

all fluids are (simple) physic based, every creature has about 20 body parts that
    get tracked all time... etc

Lets see how low the fps go when wind and light is in :D

3. Cloud

Cloud Member

I purchased a barrel of... donkey's blood from the dwarven caravan...
    Next up: Will they drink it?

Also, i have a soldier engaged in a seemingly eternal battle with a goat (1month so far), he's thirsty, tired hungry and the goat's limbs are entirely red with a bit of yellow. It's also unconscious, so how the dorf misses all the time is a wonder.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

can any one comfirm if its possible to raise the str , agi and end skills much like in earlier versions?

if not than selecting military is going to be a pain in the ass without rapist

5. Cloud

Cloud Member

Ya can give specific kill orders, makes killing intruders (and berserkers + nobles) so much easier

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Could anyone explain to me what Dwarf Fortress is about and why it is so awesome? I looked at their site but all i saw were strange ASCII graphics.

7. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Same as McGiver
    I personally dont give as much on good graphic as other players
    maybe it also has a better game depth since it passes on good graphics... but it aint worth eye-cancer

8. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I thought the same thing, but it becomes second nature soon
    I think I'm quoting pickled if I say I used to read "&" as just ampersand but now I read it as "OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT ITS A DEMON"

9. Zeke

Zeke Banned

[​IMG]

10. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

ROFL, okay okay i'm sure it has great values under the hood. But what exactly? I understand you control some dwarves and build a fortress? Is it a dwarfen-society-simulator?

Normally if i find a free game that might be interesting i look at screenshots and read the description. But since DF screenshots are as interesting as a .txt file and i found no description i'm a little clueless.

11. Brutos

Brutos Administrator Staff Member Moderator

It's like sims, but with manly fights against megabeats, demons and carps. Also on a more massive scale.

12. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

So I'm playing the new version. I honestly have no idea what's in store, and I refuse to read any FAQ's or anything. I want to learn everything myself.

I discovered a massive cavern! And it reveals lots of goodies like underground plants and tower-caps and lots of mineral veins and an underground water source and lots of spiderwebs.

So my weaver hit jackpot, and would keep going down there to grab spiderwebs to weave into silk, but unfortunately for my fort there were some living things down there(but nothing too dangerous) that would follow him up some of the time.

So far I've had a random metalcrafter beaten to death by some sort of underground cow called a draltha that eats tower-caps. But before that I drafted a woodcutter into the military to deal with a giant mole that was pissing everyone off. He dropped his axe and immediately started beating the mole to death with his bare hands. It took him a good 2-3 months of game time to kill this fucking thing. Idiot shouldn't have dropped his axe. Oh and one of my miners broke his hand, I have no idea how it happened but he keeps working like nothing happened. I suppose I should get a traction bench and medical supplies to try to get his hand fixed, but you know, he keeps working anyway, so...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  13. Zeke

Zeke Banned

the biggest amusement in the game is probably the level of depth you can create and also some of the sillyness that excist.

example:
    you want to feed ur dwarfs... how do you do this?
    well you can
    A) farm
    B) gather stuff from the wild
    C) butcher animals (including tamed stuff like cows etc)
    D) Fish
    E) mix 2 or more of the things above and cook them into a dish

now you could just plant some strawberrys on the ground and let some farmer sort that for ya... and just let ya dwarfs eat the strawberrys raw.
    which is all ok and ur dwarfs become nourished.

Orrrr... (as an example)

You can make a Cave wheat flour roast.

Starting off you need 4 ingredients for this meal.

The ingredients are going to be:
    Sun berrys (a overground plant)
    Cow meat
    Quarry bush (a underground plant)
    Whipe vine (a overground plant)

Now sunberrys can be farmed overground at any season as long as its not a freezing habitat.
    After obtaining a couple of these from farming we are going to bring them to a still where we will brew them into an alcohol called sunshine... the alcohol cant be just thrown on the ground so we are going to need a barrel to store the alcohol in. While making the alcohol out of the berrys we get some leftover seeds which we use to plant new sunberrys from.
    Anyhow, we used the still and now we got some Sunshine, our first ingredient.

Next up we need some cow meat... and cow meat dont appear out of thin air now do they?!
    Anyhow we happend to be lucky, we got a couple of healthy cows breeding in a pen and we get a nice flow of kalfs...
    Anyhow cuz im a bitch ive selected a specific kalf called Bob which we are going to kill...
    However Bob is just a kid atm and therefor quite skinny... so we are going to wait about a year to let bob grow up into a big fat bull with lots of meat on it.
    Anyway, a year pass and bob has grown up, so we mark him for slaughter and put our butcher to work.
    Bob gets chopped up nicely and leave behind some fat (which can be used for cooking, but we are not going to do that), meat (the thing we need) and some bones (which we send off to a crafting workshop for a bonecrafter to make into something pretty. +we order Billy, our hauler dwarf, to go throw away all the other unusable parts of the cow into a garbage pile located far from the people (we dont want disgusting rooting smells or diseases near our dwarfs now do we?... note: this actually affects them greatly)
    Anyhow, we got our 2nd ingredient. the meat.

Now quarry bushes have to be planted underground, unfortunetly the area we wanted for farming is rock solid stone and totally unsuitable for crops.
    So what do we do?
    Well we make artificial soil by setting up a irrigation system :D
    The problem is that the water is like way off from our fortress...
    So we order a woodcutter to get use some logs and a carpenter to make those logs into pipes.
    We then grab some iron minerals the ironvein we recently discovered at a digsite and tell a furnance operator dwarf to melt that into metal bars for us at the smelters.
    We then order our metalsmith to form the metal bars into a giant corkscrew becouse we are going to make a pump like this one so our dwarfs can pump water through the pipes from the river into our underground fortress.
    Anyhow, we got our corkscrew but we also need some extra mechanical parts... so we order our mechanic to sort that out in his shop.
    We then assemple the whole pipeline system (which dwarfs had to dig tunnels for) and install the pump.
    then we assign a dwarf to pump some water for us so we can farm in the area :)

Anyhow... irrigation system - CHECK.
    Now it happends to be winter... an quarry bushes cant grow during that season... so we wait a season so the ground warms up a bit.
    Then we start farming some quarry bushes...
    The bushes grow up all nicely and we assign some food haulers to harvest the leafs from the bushes which we are going to use for the food.
    Ingredient #3 done.

Next up... the whip vine...

The whip vine is simply farmed overground, but before we can use it we must mill the thing (note: and no, i cant even bother explaining how to build a mill cuz thats just a pain in the ass lol)
    Anyhow, we built a mill and we milled the darn thing into flour which we store in a bag...

Then we ordered our chef to take all these 4 components and cook it into a meal...

GG.

You got ur food, which is fitting for a freekin picky noble. (and yes, there is nobles, kings, warlords etc in this game lol)

Now that was a bit more complex method than just eating the bloody strawberrys... lol :D

In short, there is more than 1 way to handle things.

and you can do all sorts of crazy shit like making a lava moat around your fortress by making a tunnel into a volcano and set up catapults and ballistas and have spike traps all over the place or use a mechanized drawbridge as a catapult... and ofc use the enemy as a projectile xD... etc...

example of "crazy shit":
    [​IMG]

Anyway... one of the most amusing thing is... the sillyness. lol
    just small things which become downright lolz due to how they work.

example:
    cats.
    Dwarfs can be given pets which gives them happiness.
    kittens dont have any owners... when they grow up into cats however... they take the liking of someone in a short while and become their pet.
    Pets cant be butchered.
    Now if you got 1 male and 1 female cat... they bread...
    they get a kitten... the kitten grow up, become a pet and breed aswell...
    Now this doesnt sound like much of an issue perhaps... But then you play.

[​IMG]
    so the solution is: Kitty burgers.
    [​IMG]
    another way to handle it... since cages have infinitive capacity... is to instead of slaughtering them you put them into cages.
    [​IMG]

other examples of sillyness:
    (only the 2 bottom panels)
    [​IMG]

(this is a real ingame item description)
    [​IMG]

(dwarfs solution to crime)
    http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._317574570233_810925233_9804091_8098129_n.jpg

The King Engraver engraved a masterpiece of himself engraving a masterpiece

dwarfs are 100% oblivious to fire

Motherly love

Yay water

Creativity ftw?

anyway the list goes on...

The version atm is buggy in some aspects, so if you wish to test the game i suggest you either A) wait for a update or B)download the previous version

oh and IF you test it, use maydays graphic tiles

14. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

<3 zeke
    what viewer was that with the giant constructions and shit

15. Zeke

Zeke Banned

3Dwarf :)

16. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

Zeke where the hell do you find all these DF funny 4 panes?!

17. Zeke

Zeke Banned

Google

i saw em in some thread ages ago and i figured they should pop up if i google for DF stuff

18. Cloud

Cloud Member

More imagery:
    [​IMG]

And then there was the time where they'd pick up burning clothes and use em, thus killing themselves.
    [​IMG]

And then there's the carp, would be the most fearsome beast if it was not restricted to water.
    [​IMG]

Then there's also the tale of boatmurdered, which any DF player should read imo.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  19. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

DWARFS ARE MADE OF SUGAR NOW THEY MELT IN RAIN, lost about 20 dwarfs to the rain :(

20. Vulkanis

Vulkanis Banned

I know your pain, I FUCKING LOST MY ENTIRE FORT because I set my world peram to have rain on CONSTANTLY...gawd....