How to encourage players to play as gren.

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -Mayama-, May 24, 2009.

1. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

who would agree with this:

The grenadier should be an excellent anti tank weapon, able to protect a squad against tanks especially at close range, with an improved RPG. Better damage, and better guiding. He would also get a better anti building capabilities with much better damage with the mortar against buildings. He would lose the excellent anti infantry capabilities of the current mortar.

the current mortar would be given a grenade launcher skin and moved to the rifleman, or as an option for the grenadier that wants to stay the same as the current one.

tanks would not be a straight improvement light < med < heavy. in terms of damage and health, that would be retained, and heavies would be even more powerful at this. However, in terms of speed and turret turning ability, it would be light > med > heavy. because of the slower turret rotation, the machineguns for the tank would remain as powerful as they currently are. the cannons on tanks would be made powerful - staring down the barrel of a tank would be suicide.

when the repair tool works on tanks, it would only work at 1/3 rate if the tank has been damaged in the last 8 seconds, and only 2/3 rate if the tank has been damaged in the last 10 seconds. This is to stop tanks repairing instantly in battle and continuing to batter enemy units, which is especially needed if the new grenadier isn't good against infantry and can't kill the driver easily if he jumps out.

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Agreed if the gren gets the grenadelauncher :P

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i see no need to change the skin of the mortar for any reason

make the grenadier have to choose between which type of ammo he takes with him, mortar ammo fills niche 1, rocket propelled ammo fills niche 2

then buff both (since you now need 2 grenadiers for the same flexibility 1 grenadier can have now)

4. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

This I like.. Seeing as they are both the same weapon why not make it so you can only use one variant of it at a time. Or have some long setup time to switch from RPG to mowtar.

2sandbag: I don't care what class has the mowtar, I just don't want to see the most fun weapon to use in this game completely nerfed or changed to something stationary.

5. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

aww hell no, i don't want to nerf the current mortar at all. I used to, but actually, probably from talking with you, I realise it's actually really fun to use. It is. The only thing that gets changed is the skin, how it looks when you hold it.

I'm just looking for an optional alternative for players that want to support the team and actually kill tanks reliably, if they can get the teamwork to stop them getting stomped by every infantry man that they meet.

to be honest, having both options, the current gren and the "anti building/anti tank/suck vs inf" gren is great, because it suits teams that want to work hard together without them getting mashed by a enemy tanks, or it suits players stuck on teams that don't want to work together and so need the anti infantry advantage to protect themselves. or people that just love the current mortar.

6. communism

communism poof

Sorry I'm very very drunk
    but
    A mortar to face should kill any player,without dig in or HP upgrade.
    Right now all grens get absolutely STOMPED. As if the damage riflemen did to us was enough, its the fact that it takes 3 or 4 mortars to kill them. its just not fair (as i said im very drunk so flame me and ill check thiss shit tomrrow)

7. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

as long as mines remain the best anti infantry weapon available in empires, my heart is closed to the pleas of whiny grens.

8. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

yeah, uh, mines aren't that good sorry

at best you may get lucky because some noob wants cookies and tries to pick them up off the floor, but otherwise anybody with half a fucking brain (apparantly there are very few of those people here) will manage to not get killed by your mines

besides, everyone knows the level 3 mg turret is the best anti infantry weapon, especially in large groups

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

what a load of nonsense. half the fucking kills the average gren gets are from random mine kills. there are also tons of places you can put mines that make an area totally inaccessible, jump or not. any doorways, any places where you have to crouch to get through, and any ladders are effectively completely shut off once a gren decides to put a mine down in just the right spot, not to mention any time there's a clusterfuck of people such as health/ammo or a flag (you're almost guaranteed 3-4 mine kills per mine in this case).

10. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I usually just switch to gren with defusal and ignore the mine, problem solved
    and you balance the game for standart maps.

11. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

Brilliant observation... defusal lets you ignore mines? thanks for the brotip!

maybe I want to enter a bunker or cap a flag and I don't want to be a fucking gren. Oh too bad, I'm out of luck. It's such bullshit that I should have to switch to gren and be relegated to killing people with the shotty pistol just because someone can block access entirely with one mine. I don't want to be FORCED to play gren. If I can visually identify a mine, I should have some way of getting by it. let me go prone and crawl over it, or something. If this were real life and I saw a mine like that I could just step over it.

this is empires, this isn't real life, yeah yeah, save it. mines vs infantry are too powerful from a gameplay perspective.

12. zenarion

zenarion Member

If not forced to play gren, you are then forced to cooperate ;)

13. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

wow yep, cooperation solves everything. if only we had 15 grens converging fire on that heavy tank we wouldn't have to worry about buffing the RPG since it would insta shot the heavy. empires gameplay is quite frankly too fast-paced for teamwork.

back to the mines, assuming there's a gren near me, he might not even have defusal (i almost never pick it first myself) and assuming he does it'd take me quite some time to convince him to stop trying to mowtar something and defuse a mine that is blocking my path. even when he finally parks on the mine and starts defusing it, if the enemy gren who put the mine there has his target he's just gonna hop around the corner and mowtah him in the face.

listen, there's no other ability in the game that forces you to pick one specific skill from one specific class just to counter it. every class has some way to deal with most situations, some much better than others... but not in the case of mines. the only way to deal with mines is gren with defusal, period.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  14. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

you're talking about noobs stepping on mines right

there is this thing, called the flashlight

turn it on to see in the dark

i call bullshit

again, noobs stepping on mines does NOT mean mines are good

also

PROTIP: how to defuse a minefield

1. run into mines
    2. get revived

15. zenarion

zenarion Member

You are probably too slow to play Empires with teamwork in mind. You know that Quake3 is possible to play with teams? Or maybe it is way too fast for you?
    Empires is the prime example of an FPS actually requiring teamwork and coordination from all players.

Grenadiers are to be made useful with:
    1. mines and their defusal.
    2. fighting enemy armor.
    3. fighting infantry behind walls.
    4. killing turrets and turret farms.

My proposal: improve points 1, 2, and 4. See if that works, then back to drawing board if it does not.

16. Alceister

Alceister Member

Empires says a lot about teamwork but really you can effectively get through entire games with just Engineers.

17. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

before you start tossing ad homs around I suggest you actually play some empires to see the who's who right now as far as good players. I'm so sick of people I never actually see playing on empires making bullshit suggestions on these forums. it sickens me.

18. Alceister

Alceister Member

Well an easy way to encourage people to play Grenadier is to turn the Rocket Launcher into a boomstick against any target.

19. zenarion

zenarion Member

Not all players are "good players".
    Not all players play when you do, mostly because of timezones.
    Think of other people for once, instead of only your problems with the game.
    Nobody plays grenadier, this is what this thread is about, not how much of a fucking pro you are. Feel like expressing some rage? Go someplace else. This is not the place for you to tell people that they are playing the game wrong. Instead of just saying "lol no u r wrong" say WHAT I am wrong about, add constructive criticism to the suggestion.

20. OuNin

OuNin Member

I don't know about you, but I think grenadiers should be able to straight-up pick up mines and throw them at things. This applies to friendly and enemy mines lololololol