Hardcode Bans

Discussion in 'General' started by Bobbus, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

I used the standard valve banning system because it's the standard system, and it works. There are already global ban plug-ins. I've seen them used on a few servers but not many. I don't see what the problem is with using banid. Please go into detail on what's wrong with it.

Letting griefers run wild negatively affects the mod much more than "power crazy people", and it should be "power crazy person" which would be me.

2. KMFrog

KMFrog Member

The problem with using banid is that only server administrators normally use the command. This means if there are any plugins that hook banid, or any systems that read the ban lists and synchronise them between servers there are going to be "phantom bans".

Specifically in the system I run, all bans can be traced using a custom plugin.
    This also allows for the tracked bans to be applied across multiple servers and all banned players having a reason for their ban when they ask.

With the mod pumping bans into banid on every map change, its annoying to say the least - And I'm sure other ban management systems will be effected by this too.

In all honesty I don't care much if these people are banned or not - My main problem here is that the current implementation is not "transparent".

3. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Your "custom" plugin fails at recognizing these bans that's all.

4. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

SourceForts had a problem with myg0t's griefing the servers. What they did was make a ban plugin then they give power to one admin of every server the ability to add SteamID's to the database automatically. Eveyrone else had to post a topic on the forum to ban the person. This was quick and easy. Griefers can post a contest to the ban then an admin looks over to see if the contest is valid.

Needless to say, myg0t's stopped coming to SF.

5. KMFrog

KMFrog Member

Indeed, so how do I recognise them?

Theres no way to know if the ban is being made by an admin, or some automatic ban set by the EMP devs - this is my main point

6. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

do you think this is a kindergarden where the devs have the brains to code a total conversion but are dumb enough to ban left and right restricted only by current mood?
    if you think the devs do not have the mods best interests in mind think again.

7. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Well how do you tell? Banid is the same whether it's being done by the mod or an admin.

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I think he want your hard coded bans to output in some way that a plugin can tell that it was a coded ban and maby a reason why they were placed in hard code.

Perhaps your hard code ban should first ask if there is a ban plugin, if there is, output the hard code bans to the plugin. The plugin can then ban or not ban. If there is no plugin, the hard code ban goes into effect.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

ViroMan how the hell does mod check if there's a plugin? That would be a dependency on some specific plugin.

KMFrog: your plugin ingame has to mark bans made by your admins somehow. If it's a custom plugin then there's no problem at all. For example your plugin may have cmd "plugin_ban" with arguments like banid, reason and admin.

To be honest you're flaming about banning 2 total idiots. There's no problem at all with them having ban with no reason in your ban system.

10. KMFrog

KMFrog Member

The main bans made by the plugin have their own command, but bans by rcon also have to be tracked & handled since some of the staff at [KM] use HLSW - for this reason, banid has to be hooked & handled.

Its not my intention to create a flame war, fight, or get nasty about anything - Its simply a protest about using a standard valve admin command to do something which is very simple to do via other means.

At least the idea of a banning plugin were not lost, an idea which i feel would be ideal - not only for compatibility with other plugins/systems, but for ease of updating (it could even auto-update)...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Why are you objecting to the banning of 2 persons who dedicated their time to annoying others who are playing a game? It's not like there's hardcoded bans for every single person found guilty at doing bad things a few times.

12. KMFrog

KMFrog Member

I hope that's not aimed at me, since I clearly state in my posts that my issue is the use of the banid command to implement this

13. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Simple. When the server starts output a statement and it should look for a response whether its just some text or an actual command. no response = no ban plugin = use default hard coded ban code.

Example:
    <server starts>
    <first map loads>
    <outputs console text>Server protected by
    <one second wait for response>
    <plugin response> Piece of crap ban system

When the servers first map loads it can't be messed with by other users because who knows the instant the server is started?

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

But why is it that big a problem, Krenzo said it's VALVe's standard way of banning people, so why can't he do it?

15. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Because they use a list of bandid's ids on many different servers so if KM was also running a cs server banned people from empires would also be banned.(I think)

16. mitties

mitties Member

This MOD belongs to Krenzo. He can hard code ban any person he doesn't want on his mod. If you are a server owner and think he's "stepping on your toes" then your an idiot. Just because you own the server doesn't mean you own the mod.

17. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

the KM server is the best server out there.

18. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Eventually I'd like to have a global banlist that is retrieved from my server, but that will take some time. In the meantime, using banid was the quickest solution. Would you like me to log a note with the bans?

19. KMFrog

KMFrog Member

If you do plan on changing the current system to a better one as you say, I will be happy to hack around the bans for now.

I'm lucky as I can change the [KM] banning system to work around this and filter the "hard coded" bans from the rest of our system, where as others may not be so fortunate.

p.s. please fix the plugin css-style radio menus <3