Hardcode Bans

Discussion in 'General' started by Bobbus, Dec 28, 2007.

1. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I have no idea what incidents bobbus is referrring to but i agree with him completely. Hardcode ban is serious business! And it shouldn't be done by anyone other then a developer. Just like accusations of hacking, I wouldn't toss that threat around glibly.

2. Goose

Goose Member

It is Krenzo's creation and he can choose or he wishes not to play. This isn't done for the random suicide but these people went on for 3 days doing it on whatever server doesn't have admins. Why should the enjoyment of others be abused by people who have no intention of seriously playing the game? These guys are the worst of the bunch and they deserve what they got. If any admin condones this type of behavior their servers should be hardcode banned. Its what kills small mods like this when people grief like crazy, people leave and seldom return.

3. RaiKitsune

RaiKitsune Member

I would like to know what behavior some of the people who had hardcode-banned did to deserve it?

And should I send a video to anyone/where if I see people doing the same kinda stuff?

4. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

just seen those faggots on a 2.1 server ...
    on the positive note though they were unable to flip the ceevee

5. Terminal58

Terminal58 Member

They did flip the CV on mine.

And I 100% agree with hardcode bans, and I even believe admins should ban CHOPPERS on sight.

6. Slamz

Slamz Member

No. Fuckem.

In fact, the "hardcode ban" should actually connect to a hardcode website and look up steam ID's in a file so that the devs can easily add more to the list.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's always possible that they were trying the extremist way of getting BAT to fix their plugin and get Empires to fix what they saw as exploits...of course that's the extremely favourable way of looking at it ^^

8. manhunt0r

manhunt0r Member

now why does that way include spamming messages and saying "we did it for teh lulz" ?

9. Namron

Namron Member

Playing on European servers, it feels like the hardcoded bans have become a substitute for ordinary server administration. I can't remember the last time I saw an active admin on any server. Can anyone?

10. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

What we need is for the other high-profile servers to get a better admin staff, admin hiring scheme, and more admins. take Mittoes server, he elects admins based on how much money they can give him, which leads him to have around 5 admins in total, many of which are only on sporadically, leading to allowing CHOPPER to run uncontested for several hours. Dont make this mistake, hire admins based on performance, not donations. I know you need money to run the server, just dont get it from holding server law for ransom until someone pays for admin.

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Nearly every time I play on the JPL/Battlegrounds servers, I ban at least 1 person a day, for suiciding the CV or being an asshat...

12. Superlagg

Superlagg Member

And that's why people like Dutch havent broken your server, you have a good adminning staff.

13. [DK]Shadow

[DK]Shadow Member

To be honest guys, i think a hardcode ban is too far. This kind of stuff is generally bad for publicitly and really doesn't help show what a great mod empires is :(.

To be honest though, i'd agree with a system maintained by the official DEV team if they wouldn't mind :D. Whereby you implement a PHP database of steamids and reasons why server admins should ban them. Have the list remove old steamids after 2weeks of been on the list and problem solved. IF server admins want griefers on thier servers it is THIER choice, not the devs :).

Oh btw, reason i mentioned this is i used to run some Science&Industry servers about 5years ago when that HL1 mod only had 14server all together. Worked great, a guy called RandomEngy made the php stuff and we just updated and removed our bans accordingly and as a result had a very happy community while it lasted :D

14. Slamz

Slamz Member

On the contrary.

I bet the player population of Empires would be double or more or what it is today if the griefers were given regular beatings. As soon as a new player sees a server ruined by 1-2 griefers, I think they're as likely to log off forever as they are to try a different server, and if the next server has another griefer, that's probably going to be it for them.

I see griefers in this game *almost* every single day and it really does kill my incentive to continue playing this mod.

I've started playing on the CW server the past couple days -- I don't overly love their map rotation but I see CW people on there all the time and hopefully they're all admins (or mostly admins) and I'll accept the occasional hated map if I can at least play it without APCs and CVs being 9-mined.

15. [DK]Shadow

[DK]Shadow Member

The good thing i've found is that evn though people can grief you, it isnt as bad as it is in other mods. It's still a fun game even if you lose or get you arse handed to you :).

Agreed griefing annoys people but it's something you can never stop. What would keep people in this game, like myself, is the community. I havent played a mod recently with such a decent bunch of people who have voice chat for a while. I've had some really fun and amusing times :).

One thing that i feel we need to do as a community is identify the decent guys who some of the server owners might consider making admins. I've noticed a distinct lack of admin from some of my mega 8hour benders and i think it would do nothing but benefit the gaming experience / community. If you get bad admins thats not a prob either, they are soon identified and removed if people think that would be a problem :).

As for hte CV 9mined? i assume thats mining the enemy CV. If thats the case, defend your CV ffs :P

16. thaile

thaile Member

What people are not getting is that hardcode bans are the last resort and not done for the occasional griefer. Only a dev can do it and unless you have totally convicing proof that the person is only here to grief they won't do it. I don't think there has been any hardcode bans since 1.07 which is about 30+ version ago.

If you still don't know what [Chopper] did to get hardcode ban then here it is.

1. Griefed contiunesly for 3 days straight on any server they could get on.
    2. made a video about their griefing prowess proving to the dev that these people have no intension of playing empires properly.
    3. after being hardcode banned they got new ids and are still griefing.

If server admins what to get together and make a global ban list nothing stopping them. I just want people to stop thinking that hardcode bans are an everyday thing here at Empires.

17. Slamz

Slamz Member

Heh, 3 days?

Try 3 weeks. I was seeing them on a nearly daily basis when I first started playing. Any server with people on it that did not have an admin active was guaranteed to get wrecked.

I'm not entirely convinced they're gone. My guess is that mommy and daddy won't buy them a new game, so they're stuck trying to entertain themselves with the Orange Box, and messing up mods is their one remaining method of entertainment.

18. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

someone needs to take there batch of SteamID's and e-mail them to valve telling them what duchebags thies guys are so they won't be allowed on ANY vac secured server.

19. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

They have been banned; some got a hard coded ban...

Enough already...

20. KMFrog

KMFrog Member

This has annoyed me - lots.

While I understand the mod authors wanting to ban trouble makers the current implementation of the "hard coded bans" is ridiculous.

As the bans are not made by the server owner / server staff there is no valid reason for the ban in any ban systems and there are also no logs of the original ban time / reason.

These "rouge bans" find their way onto other servers when the server is using ban list synchronization. The "rouge bans" also effect other 3rd party banning systems.

Who ever thought of the idea to use the standard valve banning system to enforce "global bans" clearly did not consider how it will effect the server owners ability to maintain their servers.

There are other ways of keeping steamID's off the game - Do not mess with established standards.

These kind of things will not help the image of the game or the community - nobody likes "power crazy" people - and I think the damage is already starting to show itself with threats of "global bans" all over the place.

A much better idea would be to develop a "global ban list" plugin for EMP server admins to install if they wish to ban these so called "bad people" - there are currently a few very successful projects doing this in other mods like counterstrike.

And if not a plugin, prevent them playing transparently using code - not cheap ban list modifications.

With this, and suggestions of "global super admins", I can see many server owners getting annoyed to the point of closing down.