GUI Redo...

Discussion in 'Art' started by ViroMan, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Wow, you finally got off the terrible stuff you used to use back in the day?

2. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Vehicle creation hasn't been touched yet. I do have mockups I made ages ago here: http://raegquit.com/beerdude26/mock/basicscreen.html But I have a new design on paper somewhere.

Daruck: yeah, it's pure HTML, CSS and JS. I use Knockout for automatic UI updating. Stuff hasn't been documented properly yet, but you can look at the placeholder HTML to see what data is received from C++. Squad menu is the only one that does a lot of custom stuff in C++, still need to generalize the output to HTML so others can replace it.

3. daruck

daruck Member

It looks good, where can I find that placeholder?

4. Beerdude26

Look in the empired/html folder.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

hey beerman...is the code actually connected to the html output? If duckman here got a good interface together would it work right out the door? well except using vehicle button and pressing use on the vehicle window not bringing it up.

6. Beerdude26

No, everything is completely separated. C++ only provides Javascript objects with useful information in it. You can do anything you want with it. I still need to document all of it.

7. ViroMan

Candles... we need some love in here!

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I'm pretty sure beerdude runs the show on this project. Candles just does literally everything else.

9. Beerdude26

Yeah, I'm the one introducing new features left and right, Candles then has to come in and drag my ass to all the bugs I just created :p

JK he doesn't have to do that but he does fix a lot of REALLY hard to find bugs

10. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Yeah, I'm terrible when it comes to making new things and greatly modifying old things; Beerdude's all sorts of better with that kind of stuff. But maintenance? That's what I'm good at.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

What are you?

12. ViroMan

I am the same way. Point me at some code and I can straiten the shit out making it better and fixing errors. Tell me to make some new stuff and it will work but, it might be as inefficient/slow as shit for a bit till I go back over it in fix it mode.

First pass is just to get the shit running. During the "make shit work" mode I just slap some shit together to get it working. Then make a few passes of "optimize it" mode. I never could just work logically and do it right the first pass because I just have soo many ideas on how to make it work that sometimes I code in 2-3 ways and then choose one. Sometimes I may not like where its going and cancel and choose another. :(

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well guess what, that's how almost every programmer works.

Just as my prof used to say: "First make it work, then make it fast."

14. daruck

daruck Member

Does anyone remember a screenshot of a GUI concept for Empiresmod who looked really good? I can't think of more details, I remember it was red and it was very sleek

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I have an annotated version that I did like 5 years ago (not all of the annotations I actually still agree with for the record).

[​IMG]

16. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

"Duke"

Rest in peace.

edit: the squad thing is nice, as well as the overall theme of flat shapes with sharp lines. The stuff we have now is kind of blobby. The people purchasing shit should only be shown to the commander, I don't think a player on some other part of the map really cares who bought what vehicle for how much dollars. I feel like there's just too much on that gui, but maybe it's because the annotations are also too much.

Thank god we're finally getting progress on that overhaul, although it'd be nice if it came 4 or 5 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

That picture is also ~800x600. I actually really like that one though.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I like bars, but that is because I am used to a system where the guys health could be anywhere between 1000 to 6000, just for their shield. I wouldn't really have a good idea of their max health either. Empire where everyone is either 130 or 100 max would be fine though, still like bars.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

1024x768 - was that really this small? how did i play videogames that days?

20. daruck

daruck Member

What font is he using?