Genadier Revamp

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by soundspawn, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Even then, you can still kill that person, you just need to dodge and have good aim and you'll take him down.

In empires it's much worse.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its really hard to dodge quad damage RPGs ... but yes, i dont want to disagree - its really really bad in empires ...

3. Empty

Empty Member

I do alright in Quake live :P

4. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Anyway... I really like the proposed mine changes. Defusal's immunity to mines while you're in a tank is definitely overpowered; no skill should simply make you immune to an entire deadly type of weapon, or be as regularly the difference between life and death as Defusal is now.

Personally, I would like making scouts the anti-mine class (without immunity to anti-vehicle mines, which is something I don't feel anyone should have), but that's more for the scout thread.

The 'real' mortar might be interesting.

Worried about Satchel Charge. I'm just not sure it would be a good addition to the game -- back when people used 9-mining to take out buildings, I never felt it really was any fun for anyone except the person doing the 9-mining.

Here's the problem: Staying back and defending an empty building far behind your lines that almost nobody is attacking for 95% of the game is absolutely no fun. So nobody does it. But this means that if you give anyone a weapon that can 1HKO a building, all they have to do is slip behind your lines and suddenly your rax is gone.

Basically, I just don't see it working. Maybe if there was some kind of alert to the enemy when a bomb has been planted in their structure, so they have 60 seconds to deal with it, or something. Or if the damage was so low that even two satchels couldn't kill a rax.

But grens sneaking behind your lines and killing undefended buildings isn't really workable, because defending empty buildings that only get attacked once every five minutes is no fun.

5. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

I like your mine changes alot, and I do think the satchel charges could use a try even though everyone thinks they probably won't work.

My main gripe is that the RPG needs to be buffed.

Don't say that RPG hull penetration is "hacky" or make assumptions about how it would work. If you could please make it scriptable, preferably with different percentages of RPG damage done to the hull, than I guarantee you that there will be several different ways that will work and be balanced. If people can't make a version of this that is balanced and fun, then you can remove it. Until then, however, I think it's best to give those who support this idea a chance.

6. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

mines are lame because they require no input once they are placed. defusal needs to remain a hard counter to them.

the rpg penetrating armor is a good idea. it was brought up a long time ago. engineers repairing tanks during combat is a serious problem, and even a small amount of hull damage would nullify this.

mortar needs to remain the same or very similar to the way it has been in the past, or you're going to have an entire clan of veterans ragequit.

7. --{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}--

--{[TheÁstroÁr¢hítect]}-- Banned

Give back the old BE 2 Pistol,

No satchel charges(The timer is too long to be useful in my opinion, and buffing it will make it OP, I agree with Empty on this)

Buff the RPG/Mortar Damage, and give them an armor piercing ability(as pickled mentioned), and fix Dig-in.

Other then that I agree with the OP.

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

Defusal shouldn't be given to the same class that can drop mines.

9. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

I don't have any problem with this suggestion. However, defusal needs to remain a hard counter to mines.

10. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

YOUR posts, empty?

http://www.forums.empiresmod.com/showthread.php?p=144550&highlight=grenade+launcher#post144550

My perspective is that the grenade launcher is fun and people like using it. Leave it as an option. But the mortar should be a mortar as described above.

----------------------------------------

Now regarding the grenadier's power vs vehicles.

The grenadier needs to be able to defend a squad vs infantry. There is no point in sticking together with your squad if literally one light tank can just come by and take you all out.

take in mind that the engineer can even just jump out of the tank and shoot you with his SMG. He can drive away faster than you can sprint and repair any damage. He can sit in your view and as long as he's far enough that he can get into his vehicle before you hit him, he can repair his tank faster than you can kill it. If you do die, he can repair in less than 10 seconds.

Oh, and then there is the engineer inside the tank which is able to build structures and all the other engineer facilities as usual.

Let's be honest, by the time heavy tanks come out, you can dual wield plasmas or rail guns and still not worry about grenadiers.

11. communism

communism poof

this

dont touch my mortar

12. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

Again, "mortar" isn't being touched. It'd be getting a new, more appropriate name, with new, more appropriate model.

At that point we can add another weapon, that behaves more like a mortar and less like a grenade launcher. You could choose between the two weapons for slot 3. If you love the current weapon, don't worry. Biggest downside (major for a few) is that it won't be officially known as the mortar. I'd be happy to entertain calling it the "Mowta GL" or other such 1337 mortar spinoff names.

One more time... this would be ADDING a weapon and not changing the one that's already there. I respect and love the current mortar, but it really isn't a mortar so I want to clean up the presentation a hair.

13. Empty

Empty Member

Because I'm you?

14. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Name it the dub-33

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

what about refusal going to the scout?

you could give vehicle speed to the gren or something to balance it out

also i suggest making all mines "defuse-able" by anyone, but give the "mine sight" (that spots all the mines on the hud very obviously) to the scout, possibly giving the gren a "anti personnel mine jammer" that disables the people mines as it gets in his area of effect

also make the current mines the anti vehicle mines and make the anti people mines something small on a stick that is barely noticeable unless you look carefully

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  16. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

If AT and AP mines are added make AT mines able to be diffused by anyone but not the latter unless equipped with defusal.

The 20 round(or 20th edition) 33 mil hand cannon son!!! THE DUB-33!!

17. soundspawn

soundspawn Member

That's exactly what I proposed. Glad an avid gren fan feels the same.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The Dub Double 3. "It's Mowtalicious good!"

"Deploy THE DUB, it's getting hairy."

19. Empty

Empty Member

When I named my weapons in my scripts I called the NF mines 'The Communists'

20. zenarion

zenarion Member

What I dislike about the current mortar, is that people still can bunnyhop and kill infantry with it at ranges 5-30 meters. That's what an underbarrel grenade launcher is for.
    A mortar is for indirect fighting of enemies, who hide behind walls, in trenches etc.