[G4TC] Veteran players are important

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

That is how you said it worked on the first page. Which pretty much would just rage whoever had just got onto the server because they get kicked as soon as they started playing. I'm fine with unassigned, or specs.

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Noobs are better as long as they listen to me. Person that knows how to play CS:S and listens to others is better than so called veterans (and name is idiotic because veterans were soldiers who served over 25 years in Roman army).

Trickster I meant blocking connections from noobs even if server had slots for them.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  3. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Did anyone ever consider that this system might actually work as intended?
    Principle doesn't really do much if it's inaccurate. The only thing I care about is whether I get kicked or not, that's why I requested to be added as well.

Other than that, none of you should be worrying about whether it kills the community or not etc etc, if people don't like it, they'll populate a different server. Recon and Viper apparently figured it would be worth the risks, which is their responsibility.

A game that has a playerbase in a range where any kind of complication can have a negative effect on it, probably is not sustainable to begin with. The people responsible (devs) should address this for instance with promotion (or in this case, improve the product). Putting the responsibility of the player base on the shoulders of third parties is ridiculous for various obvious reasons, and anyone who says what they're doing is a crime towards the community is complete nonsense.

Not that I care though, I just don't want to get kicked.

4. recon

recon SM Support Dev

As I said before, limiting it to just specs would require code changes that I'm not interested in making (allowing admin reserved slots to still kick anyone to join, and skilled player slots to only kick from spec/unassigned).

Too logical dizzy, far too logical :P

Obviously.

Add the tutorials like we asked for a year ago? That would help immensely.

Okay MOOtant. How about we do this... I'll pick a team of skilled players, and you collect some random newbs. I guarantee you that my team will win every round.

Let's see... The teams in Empires are armies...

5. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I completely understand your reasoning and I love to play with vets too, but this should be saved for vet pugs or something. I understand dizzy's point as well but this is not a game made by EA its made by the community and I think we owe it to the mod to do whatever we can to help it grow and stay alive.

Making the only populated server kick noobs for people who will wait for a slot anyways just doesn't seem rite to me.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Implement this and if it gets abused, remove it. Its not like Empires isn't already split between vets and newbs. The difference is whether you idle in spec.

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

yeah i stopped reading at page 3

this is a bad idea

reserve this ability for admins

having like 200 people w this ability is going to piss so many people off

and blizzerd's right, it's arrogant

p.s.,

8. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

will people with reserved slots get kicked too?
    if, like deadpool said 200 have it, then its gonna just be a constant kicking ... well at least drama ensured :D

9. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You generally don't get much more than 10 vets on a server at the same time, and the main servers have such a quick turnover that it's usually like 49/50 or 60/64 or something. People are acting like the server will suddenly be populated with purely vets.

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Exactly... I've populated almost an entire server with vets for a PUG, and it's not easy.

That's what I wrote it for originally.

I would perma-ban all the "noobs" if I could. Noobs are NOT newbs. There is a difference. Noobs are useless idiots who do nothing useful on your team. Newbs are NEW players. Adding tutorials would probably help prevent newbs from becoming noobs.

I agree, but I from my observations of Empires, it seems like the average player count isn't going to go up. Why not do something to keep what we have? As Trickster said, it's not going to be kicking newbs left and right. I really don't get why 90% of people ITT thing that.

There are some 78 people in that Steam group, and as Trickster said, people getting kicked left and right just isn't going to happen.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  11. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Well obviously not rite away. But if you keep adding more people then it could become like that. Also I just played a game with a "vet" who did nothing but act like a useless idiot the whole round.

I'm just stating opinions on what could happen. I obviously wouldn't hate playing with more vets, but I don't see them not already playing. Plus most of these "useless idiots" who do nothing but troll and act like morons are people who are considered vets. I think you should go by attitude more than skills or time played. I would rather see more nice people who are willing to teach new players than more specs talking politics because they are bored with the game.

12. recon

recon SM Support Dev

It could, but remember, we do not have our heads buried in the sand. If that occurred, the system would be modified or removed.

Last night was funny wasn't it? I hear you though... What would we call a group of players in Empires who are skilled and don't act like they're retarded?

13. .:.HeXi.:. emcalex329

.:.HeXi.:. emcalex329 Member

call them PWC.
    players w/ competence.

14. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

lol vets

15. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Isn't that Muffin's community? PWC Gaming?

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Newbies.

Arguably better at the game because they indulge the teamwork element as far as it can go, which is the backbone of Empires.

Of course, it goes from newbs to spastics (wait, you guys call them vets) and some good players on the side.

17. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Just ban all those idiots that spam their personal bullshit or statments about their last kill over mic. Thats everything I want.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ahahaha do they do that now? so pathetic ...

19. beatandgo

beatandgo Member

Half of this community is a sea of ego. Fucking massive ships of ego cargo with e-penis strapped on the bow crashing into eachother.

20. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Most of these posts remind me of Sgt. Security.