[G4TC] Veteran players are important

Discussion in 'General' started by recon, Jun 3, 2010.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

I mean spectators at the end of the round when there is no spawn point left. They usually played the whole round and want to play the next round. Kicking them is a bad idea.

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

That group is almost a year old, and was made to help get people in one group to start sparatic pugs which never worked.

wtf is this shit about it being full of (insert insult here)?

So, for starts, the group is not a group of "Oldfags" who want to be called veterans. It's more or less a group of people that was created about a year ago to get some pugs going. It never worked out, group has been more or less dormant since october of '09.

If you want to call everyone in that group "a fucking circle jerk of idiots who need others to tell them that they are a vet.", Shove your dildo up your ass while you are at it.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so you wait the 2minutes until your comm dies? i dont see the issue. and it might actually be helpful in fucktards not joining spec the second they THINK theyll gonna lose ...

4. Avneet

Avneet Member

Yes that's me. I don't know about my veteran status skill wise though 0_o I would appreciate an invite :D

5. Castrol GTX

Castrol GTX Member

Yeah flasche, force people to sit in one place where they died, because if they go to spectator, vet vultures will pluck them out and take their spot, who will be equally unable to spawn upon connecting.

Think before speaking.

6. recon

recon SM Support Dev

I never see you play, noob.

Exactly.

2.0 was decent, 2.1 fixed a lot of the lag issues, and 2.12 was great. That's my opinion. If you have a problem with it and want to make a constructive argument, fine. If you just want to troll, whatever.

Veterans are better at this game than newbs. If you can disprove that, I'll be really surprised.

After reading this thread, I'm not really surprised at the reaction, and I suppose I should've explained my intentions a little better...

As Vicki said, if this is kicking newbs left and right, I will remove it immediately. I really don't think it'll get much use.

Most veteran (long time / skilled) players have reserved slots already (didn't know that one did ya?), and I thought it would be nice to extend that to everyone that plays Empires, has a brain, and has a clue what they're doing.

The main response to the new system (minus all the trolling) is that people do NOT want people to get kicked. I think that's a valid point, and will be investigating other technical options.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

Bad idea. Vet's will wait regardless and noobs will be pissed about waiting or getting kicked for some dude who plays all the time. I think a better idea is to give the noobs reserved slots for a certain amount of time..

The only people who need reserved slots are admins and the only people who deserve them are donaters. Sorry vets, but i think it's a bad idea.

8. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Continuation of #66:

I've been getting really tired of the level of idiocy in most games, and I thought something to encourage veteran players to play more would help the general game quality.

The response to it, while a bit out of proportion, raises a single point, people don't want someone to get kicked.

Given the community's response, the only logical option is to deactivate the system immediately, which I plan to do as soon as this post goes up.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I liked the idea of this system. I guess too many ppl cry at the little things.

10. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Continuing #68:

If there's some useless noob (there's a difference between newb and noob, however, most new players are being noobs) on my team, who goes scout and sits in base doing nothing, I'd have no problem with a veteran player joining and kicking them out. Is there anyone who would rather have the useless noob?

FYI: I hardly ever see reserved slots used.

11. Skie Dragon

Skie Dragon Member

you ok recon?

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

He's tired of offering people reserved slots (using a usergroup that was set up for people who've played a while to be in one group) and then getting bitched at and trolled by people whom this has little to no effect.

On the bright side, it's rare for mootant to troll this much...

13. communism

communism poof

I think its cool, and wont kill empires.

14. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I just played empires for two rounds for the first time in months and all i can say is
    fuck
    vets

15. Demented

Demented Member

I imagine most people would be arguing for it or silent if they knew they'd be the ones with the reserved slots.

Assume hypocrisy, I always say.

16. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

You realize pretty much everyone who raised an issue with it would easily qualify right? I'm fine with a reserved slot feature that everyone can access and which boots specs or just for admins/donators. But splitting up the community based on some retarded arbitrary "vet" status and kicking new players is stupid especially considering "vets" are 100x more likely to be circlejerking in spectator.

17. Demented

Demented Member

That's the irony. I love irony.

18. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Yep.

Spectators are always selected first (I think I forgot to mention that). Anyone with a reserved slot is immune of course.

Splitting the community? I'm suggesting that vets should be able to join whenever they want, simply because they know how to play. I doubt the system would get used all that much, so I didn't see a random person getting kicked every once and awhile to make room for a veteran player being that big of a deal.

Without major code changes, the only other way this could work is as follows:
    1. Server actually has 55 slots, veterans know this, and are allowed to connect to the extra five slots (veteran slots)
    2. When a regular player leaves, veteran slots are freed first (once all are free, regular slots are freed)
    3. Players are NEVER kicked to make room for another player
    That would complicate issues for admins who need to get into the game without any delays. The only way to fix that would be another custom reserved slot plugin, which I'm not interested in writing, so I'll let this go for now.

@Metal Smith: The whole point of that group was to get a list of skilled players. It was used for several PUG like events, some of which ran well.

19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hi. It's a better system than some stupid rating system. I spend half my time raging at people who have been too lazy to read the manual or at least ask about stuff these days, most just simply don't want to learn and think that it's more CSS oriented (i.e. fuck your team, outcome doesn't really matter). Such people should be shot on sight.

Anyway, I already have a reserve slot for having admin, but I honestly don't care that much, because it's seriously rare that I ever see anyone ingame get dropped due to slot reservation if they aren't in unassigned in spec. In fact, I can't recall that ever happening, and I've been administrating empires servers for over 2 years. It just simply never happens. Recon's idea in the post above is probably absolutely fine though. It's what I suggested during the start of this thread.

But honestly, a bunch of vets who actually get the team working, which I've noticed more and more lately (i.e. directing the newer guys, telling them how to do stuff more effectively) is far better than a sudden influx of 1000 new players, none of which have any idea what to do. That's why I dread the inevitable steamworks bomb.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

That was ironic :confused:

Recon, keep the system limit it to specs, that's all. I am aware that if i'm speccing on a full server I should be ready to be kicked or play, or leave.