find me the scout

Discussion in 'General' started by flasche, Jun 25, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

please outline him for me

[​IMG]

hes there you can "see" him on this picture
    [​IMG]

seriously this shouldnt be possible cant you just cap alpha to some low but still visible value till hide gets redone?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

You cant hide from me.

If there is anything I am good at in empires is finding people where they shouldn't be.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Hey flasche, do you want to play in a squad next PUG? I'll be the scoutsweeper for you.

4. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Use your flashlight newb.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Take Enhanced senses?

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Be colorblind?

7. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Make his texture glow and blink obnoxious colors.

8. Metruption

Metruption Member

Sparcatucs just send me all your haxxtextures so i can be good like you

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Wouldn't work; scout hide works by directly modifying the alpha of the texture, not by using different textures with different alphas. You could make the scout a fabulous sparkling disco ball and if he was fully hidden, you still wouldn't be able to see him.

Really though, if you keep up with experimenting with mathax and they get out, then I'd just try and convince Trickster and Vicki to run sv_pure 2 and have custom maps and sourcemod break, and then when people complain about admins not being able to admin and servers not being able to run custom maps, I'd just blame you for forcing us :D

10. flasche

infact, if i remember correctly, it was you who killed him indeed.

theres no asking for removal or other drastic measures, im just asking for finetuning. do you really think total invisiblity, even if hes not completely transparent, is a good mechanic to start with?
    the "take the counter"-agrument is nonsensical. with the same argument you could introduce armor which absorbs 99.99% damage except for a certain weapon where it "only" absorbs 80%, so a "counter" exist, but you wouldnt deem that good design either, would you? i mean enh.senses is nice and all and it helps reducing the search area dramatically, but it doesnt show you the exact position either (not that id think it should)

sure, a scout in hide needs to be harder to spot, there is no denying that, but harder doesnt mean virutally invisible. raise initial transparency or added transparency per face you touch, but cap it a tad earlier, really not much.

you all neglect, that you could see scrat so incredibly easy because hes basically in the center of the pictures, you know hes there and your view is not moving unlike ingame.

also lawliet, there is no spectator flashlight and sportacus your hax textures did nothing, the sole reason why scrat is still there was you keeping the vf alive. you actually ran close to where scrat lies and even fired random bullets in random corners ^^

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

1:Use your eyes, not recommended because you guys are bad at finding scouts.
    2:Use your flashlight.
    3:Shoot at every single corner, it's not like your bullets are expensive.
    4:Take enhanced sense when you are lazy.

12. flasche

ad 1: you didnt outline scrat for me in the first picdurr - even though it should be super easy with the help of the second one.
    ad 2-4: this all requires you to already be aware of the scouts presence

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

As per usual, nobody acknowledges this as a problem.

14. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The alpha never completely goes to 0 unless you're touching like four model faces, right?

15. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Generally speaking, if my building is at half health, sparks are dropping from the ceiling and all the vehicles are coming out yellow, that's a relatively good indication that there's a scout around. If that's not the case and he hasn't sabotaged, what right do you have to find him? The whole point of him is to be hidden, and if he's not leaving any trace of him being there by sapping buildings or killing players, there's no reason he should be found.

16. flasche

the whole point of rifleman is to kill infantry, what right does a gren have to kill a rifle? having and advantage vs. imbalanced (or in this case badly balanced). even 0.9alpha would mean an advantage, a almost neglectable one but an advantage (given the rest is equal). 0.9 also isnt what im asking for, idk where the value is capped atm, but a tad higher would not render it completely useless at all, it would just remove the option for scrat to prone there for about 10minutes.

last time i checked this game wasnt titled "hide and seek", its called empires and its about shooting and blowing stuff up.

i thought you want fast gameplay and action and shit, and yet you endorse stale gameplay meachanics?

17. Metruption

Metruption Member

If you want to play a game with zero stealth and just blow shit up then go play DOOM or Serious Sam. Empires is a game about tactics and strategy, and a scout fucking up the enemy base is a very tactically sound strategy. So what if it takes 2-3 guys to kill a scout? You can just as easily sneak a scout into the enemy main too.

18. flasche

not my point either. to be hidden is not synonymous to being invisble. i have no issue with hide as general concept, i just find the amount of invisibily you can reach a bit over the top.

additionally you could not only read what i write, but also try to understand what i mean with that. i know its not always easy, english is not my native language.
    where does this say remove hide, it just says tweak the value which caps alpha a bit - until a better solution gets implemented, which is on the todo list, not only but also because of this.
    look at when i joined the forums, even if i didnt play much the last 3 years, theres still 3 more years i played regularily - do you really think i only see this as problem because of this very instance? this debate is ongoing since before i joined the forums and as far as i can remember it hasnt been touched in all this years.
    the thing is, they knew the scout was there, but couldnt find him for minutes - and it wasnt all nubs. hell, even though it was 3rd person view, it took me a good while to see him and theres parts where its just invisible (though he obviously shouldnt or alpha could aswell have been set to 0)

btw, just incase you couldnt really see him - but ofc you could on first sight anyway, since its only my incompetence - thats all there is visible

19. 101010

101010 Member

I think scouts should get 100% invisibility. That's the only counter to the modified textures. Enhanced senses should give the ability to see hidden scouts. Kind of like planetside.

20. flasche

i think thats no option as long as hide simply changes the alpha value, but i might be mistaken. im fully aware that what i suggest is a pure bandaid, but it would only require to modify a single value which is already there.
    i did not say "remove it", i did not say "make drastic changes", i did not say "touch the amount of invisibilty per face touched", i did not say "touch the increase per level", i only said "cap to a bit more visible as maximum", thats all i said.