Field guns. pros & cons

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ^Dee^, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

He wants it so you look at something, press a button and the co-ords of it come up on minimap. there is already a way to do this. look at it, press F, then W, then W again, if memory serves me correctly. that will spot the target and it appears on minimap.

but GOOD TOPIC to revive, i can't WAIT for field guns :D

2. PaperJack

PaperJack Member

They should have ( PRO ) huge armor , but ( CONS ) be exposed to scout sniper shots .

There should be more types of field cannons such : fast railgun , chaingun , artillery , etc.
    For that reason , i suggest them to be customizable ( like vehicles ) . Engineers should be able to take " folded " low weight field guns from Armory and place them around ( such chaingun turrets ) .

For the artillery they should have a signal system : people ( scouts can have it as a special ability ) can create " markers " of a position that show on your HUD and Minimap , which you can easily aim at , and be a lot more powerfoul than the normal ones ( two shots can destroy a building ) , but cost a lot , like 1200-1000 , and have low armor .

I suggest to implement AA guns too with the upcoming airfights update.

3. Silvas

Silvas Member

Sorry to revive it again, but I agree with PaperJack. These should be customizable by engineers, or better yet (hint hint) my repair vehicle.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, is it possible to "revive" a sticky? I mean, it's not like you're moving them to the top of some list.......

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Fieldguns would be the mannable turrets of the empires world, customisable for anti turret or infantry depending on what you want.

chaingun (standard)
    50.cal
    mortar (standard)
    rocket launcher
    shell (comes as standard, but is like a railgun)
    HE shell

others require research?

the heat capacity would also be half of a tank.

it would be cheaper than a normal vehicle, and it would be pulled around by a jeep which comes as standard.

5. Mindfreak

Mindfreak Member

I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread, but the thoughts come up before, allow me to post a few quotes

Just posting thoughts on this, from a separate thread.

6. Theoriginalbman

Theoriginalbman Member

A way to move these is if the engineer hit the calculator and a helicopter came and picked up then the engineer could place it where he wants it.

7. KILLX

KILLX Banned

ok, what about balancing? what about the server, and the physics calculations required to move it without breaking something? what about the fact that there will be hundreds of new players that think its pilot able and grief trying to get it? what about the abuse? what about the ridiculous amount of code support it would require? what about the work that would be required to model and animate a helicopter?

I think I made my point :)

8. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Okay, this would be a great idea to implement on Slaughtered. You know those towers near the river bridge? Make them fixed artillery points >_>

How I would like to see this implemented:

-Make this a bonus to capturing flag points on normal maps like on slaughtered.
    -Allow this gun to calculate where a shell would land, regardless of if the shell hits the sky box or not.
    -make the maximum angle from vertical X degrees.
    -Make infantry pilot the artillery gun like infantry pilot the second seat of brenodi tanks. This will allow enemy scouts/good riflemen to snipe the artillery person off of the gun.

-Either really low rate of fire or really low damage to infantry and tanks.
    -Or make it take a long time for the shell to hit. Make the artillery destructable, and have a respawn time of X Minutes.

Pros to this implementation:
    -Scouts now have a very good reason to spot things.
    -Makes resource nodes assailable at any time during the map when in range of fixed artillery.
    -Makes base upkeep more a necessity than before. Keeps engineers a little more busy, making them less effective at frontline work.
    -By limiting the maximum angle off of vertical you can fire from, You can easily limit this weapons range. this can by done by either geographical barriers or coding a limit directly into the artillery.
    -Making this a building or buildable area (like walls in ruins on duststorm for example), it gives more reason to hold areas, regardless of the presence of resource points.

Cons:
    -I'm never very good at finding extreme faults in my own ideas, so I'll leave this to everyone else to tear apart ^_^
    -Maybe hard to code the shell to calculate exiting and re entering the sky box part, but ahwell.

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Cons:
    I wouldnt be surprised if this is harder to code than the entire 2.0 new_feature_set

10. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

it would be like an artillery tank without an engine >_>.

anyways, i've never coded any type of game in my life, so I'll leave that up to someone elses judgement.

11. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Wouldn't hard to code at all really.

It is just a trailer and it comes free with a jeep. so the jeep pulls it around. and the thing has wheels. not hard at all really.

12. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

that sounds more like having 3 varieties of arty tanks, just like regular tanks, except this one requires a jeep to move because it lacks an engine. An arty tank with only basic 1 slot artillery shells. Kinda like an extra seat on a jeep.

I was thinking more along the lines of a building that you can get like the walls that are part of the map, and when destroyed respawn after 3-5 minutes. When the maps are scaled back, i think fixed artillery points would be great, kind of like BF1942 with coastal guns, except these would be artillery placements that could hit a large area of the map.

anyways, the coding is already there for the artillery, just needs a need vehicle to shoot it, with 1 seat and a new skin for it.

13. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Yes. Gets my vote, ya know.

I didn't read the whole 3rd section on the OP, but I say let them be towed by vehicles, then deployed in a spot.

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

The field gun will be pulled by an AA truck, as far as i can remember. Donmegel posted a screenshot of a render of both the truck and field gun.

15. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

I remember that, but it was ooooooooooooooooooold.

16. Vaun

Vaun Member

I think having it attached to a jeep would make it too spammable, maby need a bigger vehicle at first (like an apc) cart it around untill jjeeps get a stronger engine, and possibly have upgrades for more slots, starting with 1, then 2, then 3. like "Basic", "high impact" and finally "rail" anti tank gun, with shallow arc, because every time i play, the first with meds usually wins, and it could be an analog to the missile turrets low range untill it theyre upgraded. This would keep early med tank rushes from completely killing brenody, due to the NF light tanks ramming em, then being too short to be hit, tho im not sure how you would do a manual reload, but maby the type 2 and 3 could have auto. Also, making the artillary tanks more anti-structure, so they cant just camp half or more of the map away and spam the enemy base, with the enemy having no hope of hitting them, because all the vehicles get ht and killed due to low resources to build good vehicles.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  17. KILLX

KILLX Banned

these are NOT artillery tanks, its a artillery cannon that has no engine.

APC towing a field gun? no way, too unbalanced.

to everyone else considering posting here: please, for the love of god, consider your suggestions first. weigh out the pros and cons, the balancing, and the practically.

18. grayclay88

grayclay88 Banned

Field Gun (A.K.A. Anti-Tank Gun)
    [​IMG]

Artillery Cannon (A.K.A. The Hand of God)
    [​IMG]

19. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

If they replaced artilliary with that sort of artilliary, I wouldn't lament it. I would love it.

20. m-m

m-m Member

I wouldn't mind field guns or mobile artillery being tossed in, but it'd be pretty annoying sitting there with your artillery pieace hopeing somthing is gonna come by and tow it, lots of hassle coming from that I imagine.