Field guns. pros & cons

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ^Dee^, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

The method/vehicle that's towing it had already been decided, long before this thread was even thought of I believe.

2. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Or, at least, 1 method of towing it. ;)

I imagine that field guns wouldn't be fireable unless detached from a vehicle and deployed. The idea of making them more "stations" than "vehicles" (move here, do this, move over there, fire as opposed to enter, aim, fire) would create quite the atmosphere, my only question being whether or not it would fit into empires. (I imagine with the former you would aim it by "getting in" and aiming the cannon.)

3. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Maybe something similar to Call of Duty 2's flack cannon, where you aim down the side of the barrel, and then have the 'special' sight that indicates different angles.

4. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

yeah, i imagined the spotter + firer (for when it's loaded) would be something you press use on, like the binocular things you use to spy out oddessea cubbages hidout in HL2.

5. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

A heavy tank towing a mobile arty? That just doesn't sound right in my opinion. Plus you have to look at the logistics of how to couple the two together in a way that doesn't cause lag and will work satisfacorily. It could be done with something like the ballsocket in garrysmod but how would it know it needed to connect the two? If your heavy tank accidentally drives into a mobile arty while you are fighting another tank and you suddenly start moving at a crawl while the other tank pummels you, that wouldn't be nice. I guess a button would work, but why not just have the towing vehicle come with the arty instead?

P.S: A tank can't enter the VF to pull the arty out, so how will it get out of the VF without it's own towing vehicle or method of movement?

6. Simon

Simon Banned

I say they should be something for jeeps. You know, make them usefull?

7. Destroyer224

Destroyer224 Member

I agree, but my point was to have it come with a jeep already attached. You can't drive a jeep into the VF under most circumstances to tow the thing out. Once in the field, if the jeep is destroyed, another can take its place.

8. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

guys, Dee just said it was taken care of. Let it go.

What kind of pros and cons do people have, or is that it?

9. KILLX

KILLX Banned

As long is it doesn't turn into a Howitzer on crack, I like the idea :D

10. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

Hey guys, I'm back,

I like the idea of a loader and gunner, RoF about once every 1 to 1.5 sec?

Pro: interesting inf suppresion tactics.

11. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Every 1 1/2 second is too fast. It should be like a 10 second reload. Field guns should not be able to do 40 rounds per minute

12. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

5 seconds.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

8 seconds on your own, 4 with a loader. That's 15 rounds a minute, and not OTT.

btw it HAS to come with transporter. why? because what if you accidently buy one without your team having yet got the jeep. then the field gun is stuck in the VF, blocking everything, can't be moved. I'm sure that'll make everyone glad they're implemented... :P

14. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Maybe make it placeable by the com, just like a building. He drops it down somewhere (MUST be near base), and it comes as a pile of parts. Then engies build it.

15. Blighty

Blighty Member

Why not make it more like an anti tank gun as in Company of Heroes? It has a small range (x-axis) and to aim somewhere outside its current range it must undeploy, turn and deploy again...

Can be pushed (slow) or towed

16. FalconX

FalconX Developer

Reload time depends on how its implimented. If the idea that field guns would be an "out of vehicle" vehicle, with a player moving around to reload it and fire it, and having to "get into" it whenever he wanted to change its target, then clearly the reload time should be faster that if it were simply a stationary vehicle. (I'm not commenting on the concrete times mentioned.)

17. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

limited ammo, must be supplied by an engy every 20-30 shots.

my estimate was based on the time it would take to load whith manual loading as suggested above.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

It appears that everyone here loves the idea of field guns :D

19. DonMegel

DonMegel Member

The guns will have limited movment on thier own ala being pushed like in Band of Brothers and World War Two Online, so they could get out of the VF but not all accross the map.

Is there anyone who dosent like this idea? So far ya'll have made it rather complicated with limited benifit...

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

It's not that I don't like, I just don't fully understand why it's necessary. But I'm sure once I've played with it for a bit I'll love it!