Feedback on Genre of Music that Describes Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by Donald Trump, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I dunno man, I can totally see NF rocking that flamenco guitar.

Straight classical guitar is also nice...

Clearly it should be classical power metal. Who doesn't like a band backed by a string section?

I'll admit to this being way too energetic for empires, but the idea is there at least.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  2. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Keep in mind, this music will be playing on a loop in the background quietly so it has to be something that could be repetitive without getting boring.

3. Lazybum

Considering how long rounds in empires are this is impossible if it's just one song. Other games can get away with it because they are round based or change music based on what's happening in game. So for us the simple solution is to have a playlist, to just keep cycling through once a song is finished. Which brings me to the point that it matters much less then you may think when it comes to it being repetitive without getting boring, after all it will switch out eventually.

All that said I would probably still continue to just have youtube or pandora constantly play things in the background while I'm playing empires, more variety that way. Though I still wonder a tad why you mention that, you saying you think diablo rojo would get super boring after awhile?

4. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I think that one track could work if it is decently long and easily loops. Why? Because it will be covered up by plenty of combat in game, its just suppose to be for some of the quiet moments.

I agree though, multiple tracks would be best. Hell, I'd prefer NF and BE specific tracks. I only bring up that it needs to be quiet is because we can't have it overshadow some important feedback such as infantry running up on you.

5. Neoony

Neoony Member

Was that Alliance thing this?
    https://soundcloud.com/mattjmcelroy/alliance

Luckily I liked this few years ago, so I was able to find it in my soundcloud likes xD
    Think he has few more empires related things in his soundcloud.

6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Okay so, I had a revolutionary idea. Take a look at this video, or this video, but listen rather than watch. You will hear behind the combat and everything is a soft melody playing, that is what I was imagining because it just adds an atmosphere to the game that isn't overpowering, is easily repeatable, and doesn't get repetitive because you will hear combat above the music all the time.

7. Lazybum

Yeah that was the thing neoony, good stuff that is. Don't know why the old link on the topic I linked doesn't work when it looks like the same page though...

I should say mr. trump that at first glance your opening post looked like it was talking about music in general for empires, not just some loop in the back. Yes, you do specifically mention it but you also mention a few other things, with the core point being that thread title, what genre of music do people like for empires? In any case most things at a quiet volume can be non intrusive if it's basically going to be interrupted by combat.

8. =[KXIC]= Assquatch

=[KXIC]= Assquatch Member

Okay, so due to some legal technicalities, I had to remove some of my updates of the original music in the game. However, I've been experimenting with arrangements of various symphonies.. Let me know what you think: https://soundcloud.com/assquatchkxic

Donald Trump likes this.
  9. complete_

complete_ lamer

I just want to say that i think Assquatch's music is very good and fitting

=[KXIC]= Assquatch likes this.
  10. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Agreed, I am trying to find a location for them in game. Hopefully we can get new random sounds to play while playing the game, a song to play when commander is under attack maybe, and some other cool stuff. Would add a lot to the atmosphere and be something of "polish"

=[KXIC]= Assquatch likes this.
  11. Lazybum

I don't want to sound like an ass, but I found the tracks kinda flat. Part of it might be because it sounds like all the strings sound like it was played from a keyboard, notes don't blend too well together. For resolve to fight I don't find nothing of interest going on, like the way it sounds reminds me of a car engine just slowly reving up, very slowly. I know you say that's the point, like it shouldn't intrude much at all into the game, but I seriously disagree. It gives the game this really bland flavor. You can have quiet stuff but still interesting to listen to, final fantasy tactics is a good example at how to make quite moments interesting. Give the first 30-40 seconds of this a listen to.

Brenodia's theme is the only one that I'm halfway ok with, but it still feels flat. Maybe I just don't like how it feels like there's not much variation in the strings in all these songs, it like hearing a 10 second loop over and over again.

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

For ambient music in the background, a flat feel is more of what I think he was going for. It is what I expected for an ambient sound because it won't draw your attention to the music, it will keep you focused on the game while still having some music play.

However, for, let's say starting music, loud and proud maybe?

Neoony likes this.
  13. Lazybum

I'm making the point that if it's too flat it's no better then white noise running in the background.

I guess it doesn't really matter though, I can certainly turn off the background music while I play the game.

14. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I see your point. Perhaps a little bit more variation to it then? I'll talk to assquatch and see his take.

Neoony likes this.
  15. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

I'm voting for classical sounding (look at the Beethoven, Russian sounding piece<-- look up on google) I'll look more into what type of classical would be best (I'm a musician, becoming one by trade soon)

16. Neoony

Neoony Member

There really needs to be some rhythm or melody that would be characteristic to the empires. I would say each song needs to have something in common with those 2 songs from Matt McElroy. (unless you would like to create some completely new theme)
    Those 2 definitely have a melody that you can work out from.
    And I dont mean using the same instruments...or same kind of instruments sounding differently. The melody or rhythm. Thats what would create a theme and/or a character. It needs to connect to that one feeling that connects all the songs together. Or its just random songs, sounding almost the same....or completely differently.

Not saying you cant have simple subtle ambient music like that, but it needs to have something in common. Melody, or rhythm....you can even have similar sounding instruments or songs...but it needs to have that one soul.

Like when you listen to a song, not knowing its name or artist, but you heard some other one from that theme/artist....but you figure out who made it/where its from, because it has that character.

Definitely also more instrument variance.

Yeah, theme 3 probably the most alive one, especially because it evolves...in other way, it lives. (although I get what you mean by just background non intrusive/focus taking music...or music that can loop)

Simply the songs need to have some things in common, and its not just genre or instruments.
    You can have completely different instruments, but making a melody/rhythm that creates one feeling connecting it to all the other songs.
    ....a theme.

Or well, yeah.
    Theme for BE and theme for NF.
    I would however still need some connection between the 2.

Still, respect for efforts.
    Keep it up.

EDIT: I also somewhat like the march theme btw, it does in some weird way connects to the Matt McElroy - Start...maybe even Attack a bit...guess its the similar rhythm

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  17. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I like what I'm hearing so far. Keep up the good work. Although, I feel it's a bit too stringy, maybe add some alternative instruments, needs more trumpets and such...

And the pieces feel a little short? Idk if it's just me, but 3-4mins is what I'm used to as ambient game music. Think aoe2, that's got a great soundtrack...

And I agree with neoony, there could do with being some more melody to it.

But I think it's great so far, Keep it up.

18. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Okay so here is my end game on my plan for music in Empires:

1. There will be different ambient pieces broken up into 3 phases of the game.
    Phase 1 This phase is the starting of the game, where first contact is made along with generally just exploring and getting refineries. This song I hope is more... exploration and mysterious
    Phase 2 begins as soon as mediums are researched. This obviously brings in regular combat with plenty of tanks on the field, the music at this point would change to something more combat based, something that is more on edge.
    Phase 3 begins once heavies are researched. This would bring about a dark, foreboding song that brings in the end game.

2. I would LIKE to see is a music track that plays when the com is taking damage, this would be hopefully scary and suspenseful to get some attention to go save the com.

3. Also, having music vary for each team. That is another thing so BE and NF would have unique sound tracks

This is all, of course, dependent upon Assquatch or any other music making contributor. I don't expect it to all be done immediately, but this is my END goal. I think it would add an atmosphere to the game that would be appreciated by all, along with all the new sounds to make combat seem slightly more real. I'd also push for more gore to be added, make those suckers bleed, but this would be the wrong place to do that.

19. Lazybum

Don't we already have a match starting theme? I thought it fit that feeling of anticipation pretty well

20. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Yea there is. However, it doesn't stick with the game. Once it ends, its over until either the win or lose music plays.