Original Music / Soundtrack Posted

Discussion in 'General' started by desertratmatt, Sep 5, 2014.

1. desertratmatt

desertratmatt Member

Over the weekend I dug up some music off an old hard drive and found the original stuff I wrote for the game. I'm not even sure which of it got used, but I did notice the title music was changed with the latest release (someone else wrote the newer title music).

Anyhow, I thought I'd post it up in case anyone wanted a listen. I have one more track I didn't post (it's not as good quality and it had a lot of different styles going on, so Krenz chopped it up and used pieces here and there). If anyone wants to hear that one let me know and I'll add it.

Here is the link: https://soundcloud.com/desertratmatt/sets/empires-mod-soundtrack

Thanks,

Matt (aka Amnesiac/Desertratmatt)

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Cool, I always did like that title song. The other stuff you got on there is pretty good too.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Awaiting was really nice, shame it's not in the game.

4. Empty

Empty Member

Victory always sounded like i was playing age of empires.

Your music is kickass though. Maybe we can sneak the two unused songs in.

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I have the intro song on my ipod.

6. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Your music is great, Alliance still gives me the shivers even after I heard it a thousand times. Victory sounds like it is Final Fantasy inspired.

7. Neoony

Neoony Member

yep, it definitely contains empires spirit :P

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Actually after thinking abut it, Awaiting might be neat if it played as soon as sudden death happens. Everyone knows the game suddenly comes to a stop while we wait for the other team make their move. Awaiting fits that perfectly.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

yes please

ive heard your music so many times its unbelievable

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I actually have, for ages, had Alliance on my loop in my music player for Empires games. It's really very good, thanks for the kick-ass theme :)

11. desertratmatt

desertratmatt Member

Thanks. I've been thinking about getting back into music lately, making more stuff like this. Been very busy since the mod was created with school/work/family stuff. The fact that people do like it helps that cause (I actually never really asked or knew what people thought about the songs except for family/friends, and you know they'll always say, "yeah sounds great," because they're your friends, lol).

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I'm not even going to joke about it. If you're thinking about getting back into it, Alliance clearly shows you have the talent and taste necessary.

Not that Empires is ever going to go commercial but sometimes people get lucky. Just look at FTL, I love that soundtrack, but the guy who made it totally wasn't expecting that response. There are also a lot of indie games out there now, and a whole heck of them could use good music, so there's a lot you could get involved with.

Er...that devolved a little bit but you know what I mean. Sure it might just be a hobby, but...you're good at it. It could be more, if you wanted.

13. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Now we just need HSM remixed into a dubstep and we are set.

14. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Exactly. Every time I have to fire up Empires to debug some obscure issue, I listen to it again. It is an absolutely amazing piece.

Awaiting is also downright incredible! Reminds me of Warcraft 2: Tides Of War, but an "Empires"-y feel to it. Hell, if you had the time to make more of these, I'm pretty sure a lot of people wouldn't even mind paying for it.

EDIT: North Faction definitely deserves some love too :)

15. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

Angry switched the startup music from Alliance to the BF1942 startup in the last patch:mad:

Alliance has a much better tone for the game - you have to remember Empires is a game about a world ruled by a faltering superstate (BE) with anarchy and destruction possibly just around the corner. Empires is not just any battlefield style game taking place in a world like our own. Empires needs that chilling and suspenseful music^^ Music is one thing that really gets me hooked on games - and Alliance is a track I often find floating around my head, alongside Werihukka's Winners Write the History.

I hope Empires' music expands once they get loading screen music going - even round start music could use more variety imo. A longer version of North Faction would be amazing round start music.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Actually it was me that swapped it. I just kind of preferred the BF1942 Empires theme, I felt it reflected the game a little better.

Not that I have anything against the original soundtrack. Every track for Empires is great and the one that isn't in the game that I just listened to on the Soundcloud is really impressive. We have done some work with having a playlist for server joining and map changes, whereby they'll play during that. There's no reason that couldn't apply to the main menu as well.

If the commander vote and the tactical time ever get separated (like they were in the test version for a short time), then I'd love to have some music during the commander vote. I'm not sure I'd want it during planning time though, which is what the commander vote is used for now.

17. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

No one reads titles

I feel that the non-BF1942 one is more suited to the game on account of being thematically similar to the victory and loss themes.

Also, I'm biased towards it because it was the one that I first encountered.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If it's a general consensus that the non-BF1942 theme is preferred then I'll happily revert it. I just thought it was better personally and figured people hadn't heard it before so now was their chance. If it's bothering people that much then I'll just put the old one back in.

19. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Sounds like another convar is coming up

20. Urknall

Urknall Member