Equipment

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Spooky, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Spooky

Spooky Member

Yea I know equipment threads have been posted before, but mine is not "skill based" its just an extra piece of equipment for each class.
    So here what I was thinking, (for a Long time)
    I pull a little stuff out of other threads I was reading, this seems very similar to Dannyboys thread. sorry.

The Scout,his binoculars, kind of usefull for spotting a comm or an arty strike, thats about it. a second Choice of equipment (something besides the binoculars) like maybe a bipod for his sniper, to steady his aim, or something you guys can come up with.

The grenadier, his mortar is apparently extremely use full and I don't often find myself as a grenadier so some people will have to help me out on a second choice, Possible "grenade launcher" that is not that far of a stretch from a mortar I know, but maybe launching sticky's a little farther than the hand can throw?

The engineer, seeming impossible as he would not be an engineer without his tool, some sort of better pistol? maybe even an engineer restricted weapon? a second type of grenade? hmmm this one could be thought up too.
    Maybe some sort of tool or possibly a tool addon that when doing a decon on abandoned enemy vehicles, it would give resources back to the players team.
    (25% fraction of the total cost for the enemy or maybe even 10% could be returned to your team)

The riflemen, I dont think ALL the riflemen want to slug around that armor, possibly something like a silencer for equipment? maybe a zipline?(sorry thats bf2) something like a helmet uplink device?(heatvision, some sort of short wave radar, others?)

Pros:| imagine lots of co-operation.
    Well, a little more variety on how players can go about playing,
    new strategy's(everywone says this one)

Cons:Probably major balancing issues,
    Coding, modeling, piling onto the dev's already big workload.
    overuse, noob use, the town idiots using it, at the worst times.

(im stealing a little from some other threads)
    Alt:make it cost res to spawn with this certain piece of equipment,
    make a general "equipment skill" that allows extra equipment choices enabled

This thread includes alot of ? and maybe's but I thought that I would post it up in it early stages so alot of the bad ideas could be worked out, or new ideas could be brought up(no nubs with new ideas please, like make a nuclear smg1!)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. Sherbie

Sherbie Member

Maybe the commander could reward good players with upgraded equipment.

3. Spooky

Spooky Member

Nah, it would be abused. lol
    (just giving out for these reasons:
    winning the game
    for the lulz
    winning the game)
    it should be available to everywone, either just plain there or available threw a skill unlock

4. Binboy

Binboy Member

Binboy's List of Special Equipments :)
    Grens: could use a even longer range Mortar but he must Pack/Unpack his Long Range Mortar (More Damage/Shoots further) Packing and Unpacking he must be stationary for like 4-5 seconds so he could unpack his Mortar into firing mode and then takes another 4-5 seconds to pack up his mortar (he cannot change weapons while In fireing mode / packing / unpacking)

Roflman: 3 barrelled shottie pistol or a 1 barreled super shotty :cute: for NF or Full Automatic Fire Mod Pistols for BE (No ammo/damage change), or simply Higher Grade armor (Have light/heavy armor for Rifleman?) Heavy armor = You run slower than Light armor or go BF2142 style (Drains more stamina while sprinting)

Engineer: Yes use other class weapons (AR and Other Pistol2/Shotty only)

Scout: Sabotage Grenades (not concussion) Only carries 2 max like sticky bombs (also when hits tank does Sticky stun damage but does not overheat tank)

Gain these by ranks/research is fine by me whatever.

5. Empty

Empty Member

Shotguns for the record, are never going past pistol form, there's a reason, but you have to search for it, I forgot.

6. arklansman

arklansman Member

Who told you that?

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I really like some of these ideas.

8. petemyster

petemyster Member

I thought i'd never see the day a junior member posted a suggestion, and wasn't cut to shreads straight after.

9. arklansman

arklansman Member

That's because I didn't actually reply to the OP. ;D

Scout: Sniper rifle is going away, so no.
    Grenadier: Been brought up by everyone and their mother.
    Engineer: Why would an engineer need another weapon? The recycling has also been brought up, if it happens it will probably be a skill or something all engys can do.
    Rifleman: Scouts have a silencer. Why would you want any of the others?

You haven't really said anything about what this stuff would add to the game, let alone anything that might possibly be useful at all. How any of the above suggestions would help cooperation is beyond me.

10. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I like the option of switching out binocs for something else like a tracer gun or something scoutish.. And as for the grens....

I joined a match today that was almost over on SOF in which NF was losing to a bunch of heavy rail tanks, so I went rifleman and ended up easily killing 10 of them with stickys.. We turned it around and won that game.. The stickys are so much better against late game tanks then grens that I think they deserve them some way.. Maybe trade out rocket/mowtar for smg/sticky nades? I think its pretty crazy how easy it was to kill these giant tanks and then on top of that being able too mow down any infantry I come into contact with is insane.. All I used was ammo upgrade..

The gren may be fun but its not nearly as effective as the riflemen class...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  11. Empty

Empty Member

But... If you give a gren stickies and an SMG, he becomes a weak rifleman.

12. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

I dont like how the majority (and most new players) think about the whole case.

Riflemans have no chance against tanks!!! OMG give them a weapons that has
    more power than any other infantry based anti tank weapon (advanced rpg is
    not as good as stickys as far as I know)
    I think the only f****** reason for that is because most people are used to
    the play style of the rifleman because you play that class like every random
    first person shooter. So the tend to go rifleman and not grenadier if they want
    to play a supporting class. But behold theres a problem D: you cant kill tanks
    as rifleman... and im to stupid to play as grenadier... and the sticky nade was
    invented.

So many people cry how unfair the mortar is against infantry. The grenadier
    class is an anti vehicle weapon and you shouldnt be able to kill infantry with
    it so "easily" bla bla bla...

But the same people dont care that the infantry class has the best (med, late
    game) anti vehicle weapon. You could argument that you can research
    rpg upgrades. But I say you have to "steal" money and research time for the
    grenadier to get that but the f****** stickynade is for free.

So i have two solutions for that:

A) make the gren more effective against tanks and nerf the sticky (throwing
    range maybee)

B) Give the grenadier a better anti infantry weapon (smg or old version splash
    damage for mortar)

So both classes are good in comparison

and if you dont believe me with that "to stupid to play gren"
    join a random server, go spec and look how people try to
    kill tanks as infantry. Most people try to sticky them or
    build turrets between tanks. Even if the enemy steamrolls them
    and they only have infantry to defend their base, you usually
    find only 3-5 grenadiers on a 20 player team.

13. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

My idea being that the class's can choose between a setup effective early game and one for late game.. Obviously you won't be able to kill 10 heavy's every round so the winners will still be able to win but they will have a harder time trying to do that...

Binoculars are handy when your team has arty(late) if we give them something more effective early in a game to replace that they can be more versatile.. And gren's could have the shotgun too instead of the smg plus the stickys..

These are probably stupid ideas but I just don't like how the riflemen have lazers and boom tank killers.. I would play that class all the time if it wasn't so damn boring..

14. Binboy

Binboy Member

Mortars killing infantry I no nobody who does that except Sir Thomas, The greatest Gren I'll ever know. Hes like legendary Gren, so let's leave the Mortar I say more types of RPGs and MORTARS like SMGs or ARs, need an RPG2 (Maybe Anti Air RPG (faster rockets low damage vs tank and has very good Giding capability or HOMING CAPABILITIES?) or RPG3 (Rapid Fire rocket launcher (Carrys 4 shots every reload thus lower damage) or Mortar1 (Your average anti infantry whatever killer) and Mortar2 (Long range set up mortar as I said earlier much larger than the Mortar1 thus Higher damage/range)

ATM I know that the RPG and MORTAR are the same weapon, I wonder if you could turn it into 2 seperate weapons instead.

15. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I would love more equipment options if it fit into the game.

However, one thing in particular: I think that allowing engineers to spawn without their tool is a very, very bad idea. This is just for the sake of the comm; it is vitally important that the comm be able to look at the map and figure out quickly whether or not there's someone in the area capable of building the things they drop. It's already slightly less intuitive to pick out engineers than I think it should be (you ought to be able to just drag-select and instantly see who's an engineer), but if engineers could spawn without calculators it would be impossible without asking everyone.

Do you want your comm dropping a VF or rax someplace in a forward position, only to have the engineer it was dropped for say "lol no tool"? I don't think it would be very good for the game.

Now, maybe they could get a different sort of tool, although I'm not sure how that would work exactly... there's lots of parameters that could be fiddled with the tool to make a different version (the engie-placed structures it can drop, how well it functions in each of the heal/repair/construct/deconstruct categories, how much energy it can store at max, how fast it regenerates energy, etc.) It's pretty easy to see how you could balance an alternate tool by limiting its capabilities in one or more of those areas, and enhancing it in others, or giving it some other new ability.

Engineers should probably always retain the core capabilities to some extent, though. They might get a tool that is slightly worse at constructing/repairing, but much better at healing + dropping ammo (more frequent ammo drops), or something like that... Maybe revive could even be changed from a skill to a function of an alternate engie tool, which pays for it by being slightly less good at constructing/repairing. (I always sort of disliked how such an important role is given as a 'skill' -- having it be equipment-based might be better. Skills are usually more for perks, not for core abilities.)

I doubt anyone would take a construct/repair penalty just for a heal bonus (healing is fast anyway), but if that's what you had to do to get revive, it would be a tradeoff many people would make. Perhaps the existing improved engineer healing skill could also be folded into this... heck, maybe even the repair skill, too (which would be part of the non-reviving 'construction-oriented' tool, the one we have now.) You'd have to choose between revive + medical upgrade or repair upgrade, in other words, based on which tool you take.

Engineers have too many skills as it is. Turning some of them into equipment options might be the way to go. If people are worried about engineers getting what used to be skills 'for free', well, look... what it comes down to is that those skills (repair upgrade + revive) just have too much impact. It makes sense to have them be a basic part of the engineer... and in truth, being unable to take both would be something of an engie nerf.

Maybe too much of a nerf, really. I can see people disliking it for that reason...

16. Vaun

Vaun Member

Gren- Nadelauncher (primary-fired timed grenade, secondary- detonate all current grenades instantly).

Scout- mini UAV helicopter. Self explanitary.

Engi- gets a bit of res for deconning walls/vehicles (maby 1/3 its original cost after total decon?).
    engi-only gun: Shotgun, because if your building a base your not going to be firing at long range.
    Also, the engi tool could be remade to a medi-tool, builds at the same rate as any other soldier using normal build, but heals faster, engi tool could accel at building/deconning, but have horrible (if an) healing abillity.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  17. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Vaun, why are you reposting old ideas? I don't care how much you like them, if they don't work, they don't work, discuss them in their own threads.

18. Binboy

Binboy Member

Umm Vaun if u did dat it's basically TF2 demoman Stickies and we don't want a game which you have grenades which kills nearly in 1 hit and has a pretty large splash to instantly explode in somebody's face (2ndary attack)

19. Vaun

Vaun Member

Well how else would it work? i mean we already have the mortar. I know, you can walk while using it (not needing to crouch/go prone to use it, is better against infantry but has a more shallow arc, while the mortar has a higher arc, is more anti armor, and has only a small splash area (just a few ideas).

And since that entire post was a repost of other ideas, i figure id help compile it.

20. Empty

Empty Member

That's it, can we cut off Binboys supply of caffeine?

I mean that, he's going hyper again.

There's this wonderful thing called the SMG2, it is essentially a SHOTGUN in SMG form.

It's highly SUPERIOR to a crappy SHOTGUN so stop SUGGESTING shotguns for the love of GOD.