Empty's changes

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Paradox, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Empty

Empty Member

my diagram was indicating my intended ranges, that doesn't mean it's how it actually worked out. I'm not sure where everything sits in actual reality but yours is pretty accurate

imo rifleman might actually have the whole bar blue.

No it doesn't you nerd, at midrange the main factor is who shoots first and who is more accurate. Tho rifles are possibly too good. I intend for midrange to be fairly even between classes with the option of trying to get closer or further away to give your class the edge it wants.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Yes it does. Best doesnt mean good best means least worst you criminal scum

3. Empty

Empty Member

You cant have a best if everyones equal fucking read god dammit

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I did read and the weapons aint equal at all. Theres always someone the best wether you like it or not.

5. Empty

Empty Member

I dont even

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Dat total order doe

7. FN198

FN198 Member

Empty, I like what you've done with the guns but I think what happened to the classes was wrong. I can't say for certain what goal you were trying to achieve, but it seemed like you tried to shape the classes to have different combat niches. This isn't ideal for empiresmod. Here's how it's been:

The purpose of each class throughout empiresmod up until the shotgun was added.

• The Rifleman has the best guns for killing people at each range. That is the Rifleman's job, shooting bullets at infantry and being the best at killing lots of other infantry in direct engagements. The rifleman should beat the gren, the scout and the engineer if the engagement is direct, every time no matter the distance. The rifleman should be capable of wiping out an entire squad with a single magazine.
    • The Gren's role isn't even really about killing infantry. It's a building/armor killer that is effective at delivering indirect fire to a target. The Gren has tools to destroy enemy emplacements from even beyond the view distance and is capable of negating and destroying enemy cover from far away. While the Rifleman has explosive grenades that can hurt enemies in cover from a moderate distance, his grenades do not destroy or severely damage the cover that they explode on. The Gren can be good at dealing damage, but it cannot handle direct confrontations.
    • The engineer's primary purpose is to repair buildings and vehicles, to revive, heal and resupply teammates. To set up cover. They have a gun, but their calculator is their primary function.
    • The scout is a covert class whose application in the game is advanced tactics and support. They can drive vehicles with radar stealth, they can hide and infiltrate defensive lines, they can sabotage enemy buildings and they can immobilize enemy vehicles. They can also provide support to infantry with their squad abilities and detect other hidden scouts. The scout has a gun, but their gadgets, charges and abilities are their primary function.

I think the above guidelines are what we ought to stick to. While I like the new bullet damages, I think that the classes need to be reverted back to how they were. The Rifleman should have a weapon that is the best for each range of direct engagement. When tuning the weapons, use the rubric of one magazine with feasibly well aimed shots should kill an entire squad from the range intended.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  8. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Jesus Christ FN, did you make that impossible to read on purpose?

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Speaking of that, Candles - your posts are made teeny tiny by the signature when I'm on my phone :(

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I wish I could comment, I still haven't had a chance to play a proper game with new infantry scripts. I don't think the idea of changing scout to assault and making it for very close encounters was a bad idea though, it just means more use to all classes instead of yelling at anyone rolling a scout. So I don't think scout should be put to the sidelines so it could be "potentially" useful on a rare occasion like it was before.

Not unless you could give it that new hide ability, I'd rock scout all day every day if you did that.

11. OuNin

OuNin Member

I'm very surprised to feel this way, but I like the new balancing of the infantry weapons. the only thing though is that I don't understand the new roles of what used to be the HMGs is supposed to be.

like they look like Actual Literal Rambo shit but it doesn't read well to me though

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It is literal rambo shit, which fits assault class really well. That said I'm not to sure why someone would get nf's hmg over smg2, sure it has more ammo but smg2 is just better at killing which is usually more important. The be's auto shotty hmg has a crazy amounts of ammo for the people you can kill with it, a very definite upgrade over the regular shotgun.

Works fine though I think, though sometimes it feels hard to tell if it's actually being good or I'm playing against people that aren't so good.

13. OuNin

OuNin Member

BE's makes sense mostly. I don't understand NF's new hmg and the smg3